What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick Derringer "All American Boy/Spring Fever [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel] " This was inspired by the quadraphonic mixes back in the 70's.
aabsf.jpg

Rick Derringer "All American Boy/Spring Fever [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel] " This was inspired by the quadraphonic mixes back in the 70's.View attachment 48915
Welcome aboard Joemt!
Do you have more Dutton Vocalion SACD Quads? They are very much loved around these parts!
Cheers 🥂

These three came in the mail today:

View attachment 50967

Though Olivia Newton-John isn't exactly my favorite singer, I have to give credit where it's due - the surround mix on the DVD-A is by Elliot Scheiner and it's excellent. It's a live album, but the mix is more discrete than most studio recordings!
I don't know anything about that Tyrell title, but pretty sure you may want to jack up some of the rears on that James Taylor (I still need to check mine also.)

I don't know anything about that Tyrell title, but pretty sure you may want to jack up some of the rears on that James Taylor (I still need to check mine also.)

Tyrell 5.1 mixed by Bill Schnee (he did Art Garfunkel's wonderful Breakaway Quad back in '75).

tbh its one that never grabbed me.
revisiting it now since Jonathan's acquired it, its really "just ok". maybe "7" territory in a QQ Poll?

there's nothing wrong with the mix at all, it has discrete elements plus reverb in the Rears, Centre is often used for supplemental lead vocal fill-in plus occasional discrete elements (like a horn solo or something) its just a fairly sparsely arranged album, one i'm not sure truly leant itself to the multichannel treatment? head-scratching sometimes what got released in 5.1 back then.

(musically he's got a Marmite voice, personally find he's a fine singer but that gravelly crooner schtick gets a bit wearing after about half a dozen songs. just my twopennuth)

Last edited:
Tyrell 5.1 mixed by Bill Schnee (he did Art Garfunkel's wonderful Breakaway Quad back in '75).

tbh its one that never grabbed me.
revisiting it now since Jonathan's acquired it, its really "just ok". maybe "7" territory in a QQ Poll?

there's nothing wrong with the mix at all, it has discrete elements plus reverb in the Rears, Centre is often used for supplemental lead vocal fill-in plus occasional discrete elements (like a horn solo or something) its just a fairly sparsely arranged album, one i'm not sure truly lended itself to the multichannel treatment? head-scratching sometimes what got released in 5.1 back then.

(musically he's got a Marmite voice, personally find he's a fine singer but that gravelly crooner schtick gets a bit wearing after about half a dozen songs. just my twopennuth)
Why thank you very much kind Sir, well worth twopennuth to have a clue:)

its really "just ok". maybe "7" territory in a QQ Poll?

I think I'd vote the same. I don't mind the music--and the sound is excellent--but I thought the surround mix could've been more interesting - it seems like all the elements (vocals, rhythm section, piano, horns/strings) are in the front channels, but the horns/strings are duplicated in the rears. The result is a sort of "super-stereo" effect with nothing truly discrete in the rears. Not much going on the in the center channel either, just some low vocals and bass guitar.

Here's a screen-grab of the first track, "It Had To Be You. Interestingly enough, it appears this disc was formatted in 5.0 with no LFE channel.

Tyrell 01.jpg

I just added Songs Of Faith And Devotion by Depeche Mode. Picked up the deluxe edition with the SACD and the DVD. Stupidly, the DVD is Region 2 only, so I can't watch that, but the SACD is great!

These three came in the mail today:

View attachment 50967

Though Olivia Newton-John isn't exactly my favorite singer, I have to give credit where it's due - the surround mix on the DVD-A is by Elliot Scheiner and it's excellent. It's a live album, but the mix is more discrete than most studio recordings!

You might want to check out her one and only studio 5.1, the 1998 Back From the Heart. Mostly highly forgettable, but the last track — a Babyface-produced reboot of her 1974 chart-topper I Honestly Love You is a keeper. I honestly don’t love that song and never did, but that track is one of my favorite 5.1 mixes ever.

Back