What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest DV title Earth Wind & Fire “Spirit” & “That’s The Way Of The World”

52A4AF16-2A14-43D1-9443-C84690B21225.jpeg

Not quite an add, but I was packing up my excessive collection and this box was just beautiful.
View attachment 54251

I have most of the rock ones there, and the Mari Kodama Beethoven sonatas: wonderful stuff! Love her piano playing on that. Are the LOTRs blu ray or DVD? I have, to my shame, both versions <I need help!>.

I have most of the rock ones there, and the Mari Kodama Beethoven sonatas: wonderful stuff! Love her piano playing on that. Are the LOTRs blu ray or DVD? I have, to my shame, both versions <I need help!>.
It's actually two DVD, one BD. I'm a little relieved that my mania allowed me to settle there. I found the Two Towers and Return of the King for $8 and $20 respectively used on DVD, and got Fellowship on BD from Amazon to finish the set.

Just got this - the Berlin Classics line of Quad reissues was one of the smallest and least heralded, but they managed to get out at least four East German quad recordings (I think originally on Edel). DD and DTS only, no lossless.
41mWHfcMQfL._AC_.jpg
41tHenDfz8L._AC_.jpg

Amazing that this 2-disc set is still available new (for 8 bucks plus shipping, from Rarewaves):
IMG_20200814_110949354_HDR.jpg

I like Bolcom, and these settings of William Blake poems remind me of both Charles Ives and Bernstein's Mass. It's a live recording, so nothing exceptional surround-wise, although it is quite enveloping, and occasionally there's more than just reverb in the rears. And the engineers make really good, discrete use of the center channel.

I also want to give a shout-out to Rarewaves who, like Dutton, are eating most of the recent increase in Royal Mail overseas shipping costs. (Presto Music has also tried to keep costs down, but they have been forced to jack up S&H a bit. Apologies is this is common knowledge, but they explain that it's due to the decrease in Transatlantic commercial passenger flights, which used to carry a lot of mail...)

Totally overshadowed by the DBs Quadio, which arrived yesterday. But I'll get around to these eventually. And by the way (for those who have been ragging on the post office and/or wondering about delays in overseas shipping): Presto Classical shipped these from the UK on September 4th and they arrived in rural northern California a week later.
  • Ståle Kleiberg, Mass for Modern Man (Trondheim Symphony Orch & Choir/Eivind Jensen). 2L, 2017. SACD + BDA with Atmos 11.1 & Auro-3D 9.1. @edisonbaggins's fave.
  • Kurt Weill, Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 + Quodlibet (Deutsche Kammerphilharmonic Bremen/Anthony Beaumont). Chandos, 2006. Hat tip to @4-earredwonder.
  • David Sanford, Black Noise + Prayer: In Memoriam Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Scherzo Grosso (Boston Modern Orchestra Project/Gil Rose with Matt Haimovitz, cello). BMOP, 2019.
  • Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde (Budapest Festival Orchestra/Ivan Fischer). Channel Classics, 2020. The end of Fischer's Mahler cycle, I think.
IMG_20200911_170411165.jpg

Herbie Hancock : Head Hunters (2020 Japanese Hybrid MultiCh SACD)

Beautiful 7" package 🥰

View attachment 56397

View attachment 56398

View attachment 56399

View attachment 56400

straight off the bat, this new release sounds great.. interestingly enough just checking out Watermelon Man now, the new SACD seems to have a new mastering.

the Fronts appear boosted a touch and the Rears look to have been lowered a couple of dB when compared to the old Sony Single Layer SACD i've had for 'ears and 'ears 🤔

New Japanese 7" Quad SACD (Watermelon Man)

8F005612-5697-48CE-AD5A-CC9E124CFEFC.png

Old Sony Single Layer 5.1 SACD (Watermelon Man)

6C3A869D-0724-4350-8F2B-4AFDEB95E777.png

further investigation required methinks 🧐

straight off the bat, this new release sounds great.. interestingly enough just checking out Watermelon Man now, the new SACD seems to have a new mastering.

the Fronts appear boosted a touch and the Rears look to have been lowered a couple of dB when compared to the old Sony Single Layer SACD i've had for 'ears and 'ears 🤔

View attachment 56401

View attachment 56402

Interesting! I haven't splashed out on it as I thought it would be identical to my old Sony

Interesting! I haven't splashed out on it as I thought it would be identical to my old Sony

oh i quite thought it would be the same too Duncan, just like the Jeff Beck Blow By Blow 7" SACD.. but then that helpful QQ-er (who's name escapes me right now, sorry! -- but thank you! whoever you are! 😘 ) posted about a new Head Hunters 7" being up for sale on eBay UK for flumpence so i leapt on it like a gazelle in heat! 😝 🥳

View attachment 56401

View attachment 56402

I was always happy with the old Sony, also like the slightly more appointed rears on her as well, a fine old dame to funk it up with!

Interesting findings, thanks for posting (y)

The balance on the new disc almost looks a little too skewed towards the fronts? Obviously waveforms don't tell the whole story, and I've yet to heard a Sony Japan disc that didn't sound great. It's also great to see that they did away with the fake center/sub channels (hopefully that'll be the case with the Santana disc as well).

Back