What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've acquired some holy grails recently.

Donald Fagen, used and in excellent condition:

View attachment 77411

Billy Cobham's Spectrum, plus lucky-strike-extra Fourplay, sealed:

View attachment 77412

Elton John and Nine Inch Nails, new retail from DeepDiscount:

View attachment 77413

Still looking for the Spectrum AF SACD at a price I'm willing to pay—and I may never find it—but the DVD-A is a nice consolation prize for now.
That is a fantastic haul 🚚 man (y) (y)

Got kind of lucky on fleabay:
s-l500.jpg

US $58 Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Philharmonic and Beethovens Nine

s-l140.jpg

Feeeftee five bocks (Jack Bruce , Bonny Raitt, Fairport convention, Doran Michaels/AIX,. Five discs)

and

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Delivered 11 dollares.

Last edited:
How’s the mix? :LOL:
i haven't done any comparisons yet Mister P., the main draw for me on the new SACD so far, apart from the lovely packaging, is the extended duration of several Surround tracks; "Make Believe", "Afraid Of Love" & "We Made It".. very nice! 🥰

i'll post back when i've had a chance to put the old and new head to head 😋

How’s the mix? :LOL:
ok, well a few quick things to say..

1.) i'm not yet totally sure if the old and new SACDs are definitely the same mix but they are definitely different masterings,

2.) all 6 channels on the new SACD are more compressed than the old SACD,

3.) the LFE on the new SACD has been significantly boosted in level on most tracks (exceptions incl "I Won't Hold You Back" & "Africa" which are closer to the old SACD),

4.) the Rears on the new SACD are swapped so they are the other way around compared to the old SACD.

2003 SACD 5.1;

B6E81494-59F1-4AE3-BA1C-688F72BCF650.jpeg

2022 SACD 5.1;

50473D82-9BB3-42D2-A6F2-0AA5C85D7742.jpeg

1.) i'm not yet totally sure if the old and new SACDs are definitely the same mix but they are definitely different masterings,

3.) the LFE on the new SACD has been significantly boosted in level on most tracks (exceptions incl "I Won't Hold You Back" & "Africa" which are closer to the old SACD),

4.) the Rears on the new SACD are swapped so they are the other way around compared to the old SACD.

2003 SACD 5.1;

View attachment 82250

2022 SACD 5.1;

View attachment 82251
Hmmm, gettin' a little handsy at the mastering controls were they! I'll await your further analysis on how the swapped rears affect the overall mix? :unsure:

Hmmm, gettin' a little handsy at the mastering controls were they! I'll await your further analysis on how the swapped rears affect the overall mix? :unsure:
looks like it! 😂
don't think there's 360 pans in the mix in either version (not 100% on that?) but pretty sure there were elements panned to the 'sides' which appeared in both Front and Back, how much of that was in Stereo i don't know right now

2003 SACD 5.1;

View attachment 82250

2022 SACD 5.1;

View attachment 82251
hold the phone!! 😱

scrub all that about the LFE being louder on the new SACD!! 🤯

the real news is that on the old (2003) SACD, Channel 4's been filtered (as you'd expect) so there's only low bass content going on in that channel.

however on the new SACD, Channel 4 is Full Range rather than LFE (!!) and is clearly a direct feed of the Bass guitar, augmented with at various times drum parts, keys and even in "Africa" there's some subtle piano which doesn't feature anywhere else in the mix!!! 😱🤯

WOW.. what Toto voodoo is this!? 👀 carry on my wayward mix, we're not in Kansas anymore and don't stop believin' we're on a Journey to find out WTAF is going on! stay tuned my plucky Quaddies! 😂

hold the phone!! 😱

scrub all that about the LFE being louder on the new SACD!! 🤯

the real news is that on the old (2003) SACD, Channel 4's been filtered (as you'd expect) so there's only low bass content going on in that channel.

however on the new SACD, Channel 4 is Full Range rather than LFE (!!) and is clearly a direct feed of the Bass guitar, augmented with at various times drum parts, keys and even in "Africa" there's some subtle piano which doesn't feature anywhere else in the mix!!! 😱🤯

WOW.. what Toto voodoo is this!? 👀 carry on my wayward mix, we're not in Kansas anymore and don't stop believin' we're on a Journey to find out WTAF is going on! stay tuned my plucky Quaddies! 😂
edit - OK major mistaken identity by me, looks like your wave forms are for the entire album, not just some choppy looking song LOL!

Last edited:
Back