What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redbone - Beaded Dreams through Turquoise Eyes (re-sealed)
David Essex - Rock On (factory sealed) to replace my current Q8 that's not in good nick
Hugo Monenegro - Others by Brothers
Exotic Guitars - All-Time Guitar Hits
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway

The most recent Q8's Ive picked up from thrift stores are Seals and Crofts Summer Breeze (also have the Q4); Liza Mannelli The singer and Ray Coniff Laughter in the rain. The Coniff tape has some beautiful quad arrangements in it. For me finding a Q8 is like finding gold! I convert all of my Q8s to Q4 and have 3 Q4 decks and 159 Q4's (29 are factory recorded and yea, they do sound incredible). Ive picked up every Q8 I have seen for the last 12 years or so. The nicest tape I picked up recently on the bay was a Q4 of Seals and Crofts Ill play for you for $20.00. Yea, I couldn't believe it either. Ive never found a Q4 in a thrift store, they are all from Ebay. I bid and won Q4's even before I had a Q4 deck!

Carole King - Tapestry
Earth, Wind & Fire - Head to the Sky
Cymande - Second Time Around (Two sealed copies, one C, one H - both the same mix with same channel error)

Patti Labelle - Nightbirds (Sealed! Wasn't a cut-out either!)
The Four Tops - Meeting of the Minds
Edgar Winter - Jasmine Nightdreams (bit of a disappointment, tape looked mint but has fluttery highs)
Tammy Wynnette & George Jones - We Go Together (Won, shipped, stuck in transport. Doh!)

Still have another copy of Chase and Morton Subotnik's Sidewinder on the way. Won them December 2nd.... starting to get a little peeved.

Just won today - and was really quite surprised by it.....

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
Frank & The Mothers - Overnight Sensation
Graham Central Station - S/T (Still Sealed)

This is my North American haul of Q8's for 2012 - I live in the UK, but being Canadian I have family in both Canada and the US and when I win stuff on eBay US I have it sent to them and then collect it all at the end of the year. So, without further ado:

new_q8s.jpg

And for those who prefer text:

1st Row:

The Raiders - Indian Reservation
Billy Paul - War Of The Gods
Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills - Supersession
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live!
Santana & Alice Coltrane - Illuminations
Azteca - Self-Titled
Dave Mason - Self-Titled
Buddy Miles Express - Booger Bear
Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits
Buddy Miles Band - Chapter VII
Argent - In Deep
Earth Wind & Fire - Thats The Way Of The World
Blood Sweat & Tears - (2nd album)

2nd Row:

Derek Smith & Venus - Don't Let Go
Focus - Live At The Rainbow
Donald Byrd - Black Byrd (Gold Canadian RCA cart)
Donald Byrd - Street Lady
Gil Evans - Svengali
Graham Central Station - Ain't No Bout A Doubt It
Spinners - Pick Of The Litter
James Gang - Miami
Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite
Joe Morello - Another Step Forward
Paul Horn & The Concert Ensemble - Self-Titled
Creative Source - Migration

3rd Row:

Carole King - Music
Carpenters - Close To You
Joan Baez - Come In From The Shadows
Quincy Jones - Body Heat
Quincy Jones - You've Got It Bad, Girl
Mandingo - Mandingo III
Babe Ruth - Self-Titled
Deodato & Airto - In Concert
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Judy Collins - Judith
B.W. Stevenson - Calabasas
Nilsson - Duit On Mon Dei
The Hues Corporation - Love Corporation
Henry Mancini - Symphonic Soul

This is my North American haul of Q8's for 2012 - I live in the UK, but being Canadian I have family in both Canada and the US and when I win stuff on eBay US I have it sent to them and then collect it all at the end of the year. So, without further ado:

View attachment 8800

And for those who prefer text:

1st Row:

The Raiders - Indian Reservation
Billy Paul - War Of The Gods
Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills - Supersession
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live!
Santana & Alice Coltrane - Illuminations
Azteca - Self-Titled
Dave Mason - Self-Titled
Buddy Miles Express - Booger Bear
Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits
Buddy Miles Band - Chapter VII
Argent - In Deep
Earth Wind & Fire - Thats The Way Of The World
Blood Sweat & Tears - (2nd album)

2nd Row:

Derek Smith & Venus - Don't Let Go
Focus - Live At The Rainbow
Donald Byrd - Black Byrd (Gold Canadian RCA cart)
Donald Byrd - Street Lady
Gil Evans - Svengali
Graham Central Station - Ain't No Bout A Doubt It
Spinners - Pick Of The Litter
James Gang - Miami
Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite
Joe Morello - Another Step Forward
Paul Horn & The Concert Ensemble - Self-Titled
Creative Source - Migration

3rd Row:

Carole King - Music
Carpenters - Close To You
Joan Baez - Come In From The Shadows
Quincy Jones - Body Heat
Quincy Jones - You've Got It Bad, Girl
Mandingo - Mandingo III
Babe Ruth - Self-Titled
Deodato & Airto - In Concert
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Judy Collins - Judith
B.W. Stevenson - Calabasas
Nilsson - Duit On Mon Dei
The Hues Corporation - Love Corporation
Henry Mancini - Symphonic Soul

Holy toledo thats a nice haul! Q8 party at steelydave's house!

I'm embarrassed to say that my last quad 8 track tape was not a quad at all. It was stereo. After years of experience with collecting quad 8 tracks and regularly correcting Ebay sellers who are selling stereo 8 tracks they are advertising as quad, I made the mistake of purchasing a tape off ebay that I thought was quad, but it was really stereo. The tape in question was Tony Motolla Quad Guitars. I had heard the cut, Galloping Guitars on a SQ sampler album and liked it, so I thought I'd pick up a copy of the Q8 to hear the whole album. I saw a "buy it now" offering of the tape on ebay for $29.99, which was a ridiculous price. I wanted to hear it, so I offered $9, which they accepted. Got the tape in the mail and it had some tape tension problems, so had to open it up and do some repairs. Still didn't notice that the damn thing was only a stereo cart until I put it in my quad 8 player. Boy did I feel like an idiot when I realized it was only a stereo tape which was probably worth maybe 50 cents. Oh well.

I'm embarrassed to say that my last quad 8 track tape was not a quad at all. It was stereo. After years of experience with collecting quad 8 tracks and regularly correcting Ebay sellers who are selling stereo 8 tracks they are advertising as quad, I made the mistake of purchasing a tape off ebay that I thought was quad, but it was really stereo. The tape in question was Tony Motolla Quad Guitars. I had heard the cut, Galloping Guitars on a SQ sampler album and liked it, so I thought I'd pick up a copy of the Q8 to hear the whole album. I saw a "buy it now" offering of the tape on ebay for $29.99, which was a ridiculous price. I wanted to hear it, so I offered $9, which they accepted. Got the tape in the mail and it had some tape tension problems, so had to open it up and do some repairs. Still didn't notice that the damn thing was only a stereo cart until I put it in my quad 8 player. Boy did I feel like an idiot when I realized it was only a stereo tape which was probably worth maybe 50 cents. Oh well.

Hey, it happens. Luckily you didn't just bite on the 39.95. If that had happened we would probably have to put you on suicide watch. We can't be perfect every time. I too recently ended up buying a stereo copy of The Quad Guitars. The LP. Luckily I paid next to nothing for it (literally like 30 cents). Maybe some Enoch Light/Tony Mottola completist collector with 10 quad copies would be willing to trade us for the stereo copies. In any case. Now we both have the not-so-quad guitars.

That happened to me as well, though I'm not sure if it was an unscrupulous or unaware seller. Oddly enough it was over an Enoch Light tape as well! They posted a picture of the Quad tape, yet sent me the stereo tape. Luckily, I only spent .99 cents on it. I thought I was getting the buy of the century.

That happened to me as well, though I'm not sure if it was an unscrupulous or unaware seller. Oddly enough it was over an Enoch Light tape as well! They posted a picture of the Quad tape, yet sent me the stereo tape. Luckily, I only spent .99 cents on it. I thought I was getting the buy of the century.

In my case the seller was not being deceptive. I went back and read her lisitng very carefully and the only mention of quad in the listing was the title of the recording. Just not that many stereo recordings with "Quad" in the title. But definitely my own fault. If I'd looked at the photo more carefully I would have noticed there was no notch in the cart.

All right! i just won Nightbirds along with Jerry Reed's Hot a' Mighty. Looking forward to cranking Lady Marmalade and whatever the Georgia Flash cranks out. I thought I was done buying Q8's but every once in a while stuff comes up I just have to hear! The only drawback is that since i live in the Canadian sticks (which is really remote!) it takes about 2 week to get anything I have boughtt on impulse, which kind of takes the adrenalin out of the equation. Oh well, its like waiting for the famous hockey sweater! (the canucks will get this reference): the rest of you will have to look on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkJzV3x9Rd0

ken

Might've been my old copy of Nightbirds you bid on! I can't imagine there were too many copies for sale!
I got a sealed one a few weeks ago for $66.

Most recent scores for me have been B.O.C.'s Tyrrany & Mutation and Labelle's Phoenix Q8.

I need to take a break from buying though and start selling off a little more.

You're the AMC guy alright! I'm happy as heck with my buy even if the sound isn't perfect as my hearing isn't either. As long as I can crank it to distortion level I'm happy.)

I recently bought a 78 pacer (4 speed) just to be as cool as you! Schwinng!

Ken (next door)

Oh yeah, the tape sounds good, the first 5 seconds are a little fluttery but the rest is cherry. A Pacer?? Nah, still not as cool as me! lol

Bring the car to Bellingham in August! A bunch of us are trying to make it the biggest west-coast AMC meeting we can.

Well, it doesn't actually run, yet. It just looked so forlorn in the boneyard I got it from I had to take it home. After all, those things a worth a lot on money right? (heh heh)

ken

Well, get it together man! You know, I always wanted to find out if the factory Ford Q8 deck would fit in the late-style Pacer/Matador/Spirit/Eagle radio opening. The stereos look eerily similar.

I still need to get my Chevelle back road worthy

Since I'm still waiting for my Passport renewal, I can't get down to my U.S. P.O. Box, but I'm gonna have a bunch of tapes waiting for me:

Labelle - Phoenix
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
Cymande (First Album)
Jimmy Witherspoon - Love is a Five Letter Word (in US-style cartridge)
Jeff Beck Group - S/T
Firesign Theatre - We're All Bozos on this Bus
The O'Jays - Message in the Music (just scooped this one on a Buy-It-Now a few minutes ago!! I can't say I'd ever seen one before!)

Back