What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a notch and why is it special?

It's the small indentation in the top left corner of an 8-track cartridge, indicating that it's a quad tape.

Stereo:

Quad:

Hi. All

More of my back log Q8`s

( Epic. Q8 EAQ 32930 -Sly And The Family Stone Small Talk )-
( Liberty UA. Q8 A8848 -The Ventures Hawaii Five -0 )-
( Ampex. Q8 AMR L 71129 -Classical Film Themes Rome Philharmonic Ettore Stratta, Conductor )-
( London. Q8 LEQ-44185 -The Music Of Cole Porter Frank Chacksfield & His Orchestra )-
( London. Q8 LEQ-44176 -Invitation To Love Ronnie Aldrich & His Two Pianos )-
( London. Q8 LEQ-441189 -This Is My World Edmundo Ros )-
( London. Q8 LEQ-44156 -Close To You Ronnie Aldrich & His Two Pianos )-

A couple of later-era Columbia titles:

q8_4-19-19.jpg

I broke my self-imposed rule of never paying over $30 for a Q8 to get Rocks (it's one of my favorite quads), and unfortunately it's in the worst shape of the lot. Had to be almost completely unspooled and repacked, and it's full of dropouts :(

View attachment 39737

I broke my self-imposed rule of never paying over $30 for a Q8 to get Rocks (it's one of my favorite quads), and unfortunately it's in the worst shape of the lot. Had to be almost completely unspooled and repacked, and it's full of dropouts :(
Bummer on the shape of Rocks, Jonathan!

View attachment 39737

To me , sound quality is the biggest issue with these old tapes. One can refurbish them , but you can not repair the tape itself. It's a gamble which I have lost more than I care to mention. I even got a bad sounding tape from an online 8 track tape store.

To me , sound quality is the biggest issue with these old tapes. One can refurbish them , but you can not repair the tape itself. It's a gamble which I have lost more than I care to mention. I even got a bad sounding tape from an online 8 track tape store.
I have to say, I’ve been mulling over whether to get into this game or not for some time now. I almost pulled the trigger on an Akai machine, and with a SMv2 on the way. But I just don’t think I’ve got the patience and fortitude to deal with all the potential let downs and tinkering it would take. Much kudos to you chaps who are so dedicated to take this on; you’re really a special breed of Quad enthusiasts that I greatly admire. I will therefore have to live vicariously through you all. I’ll be watching though, and rooting for you guys to find that next treasured title in pristine condition, that you’ve always dreamed of😀

I have to say, I’ve been mulling over whether to get into this game or not for some time now. I almost pulled the trigger on an Akai machine, and with a SMv2 on the way. But I just don’t think I’ve got the patience and fortitude to deal with all the potential let downs and tinkering it would take. Much kudos to you chaps who are so dedicated to take this on; you’re really a special breed of Quad enthusiasts that I greatly admire. I will therefore have to live vicariously through you all. I’ll be watching though, and rooting for you guys to find that next treasured title in pristine condition, that you’ve always dreamed of😀

From what I have read throughout the years , analog wise, discrete reel to reel tape is the best medium for quadraphonic sound. After that is 8 track tape and then vinyl . I haven't found much information about sound quality of quadraphonic cassette tape though.
For me , the 8 track is what I can afford if I want a decent library.
Here's my dream tape. You haven't heard analog quad til you heard this! My opinion , of course.

From what I have read throughout the years , analog wise, discrete reel to reel tape is the best medium for quadraphonic sound. After that is 8 track tape and then vinyl . I haven't found much information about sound quality of quadraphonic cassette tape though.
Here's my dream tape. You haven't heard analog quad til you heard this! My opinion , of course.View attachment 39952

I've had a Quad capable Teac Reel to Reel since the 80's in great shape, but haven't bought any quad titles in that format due to spending mostly on digital formats and the availability and cost of those R-R titles. They just seem very rare finds, and still you'd be dealing with potential condition risk. I will be doing more study in that area, and with the arrival of the SM, definitely QS/SQ vinyl.🧐

Here's my dream tape. You haven't heard analog quad til you heard this! My opinion , of course.View attachment 39952

this is really a great discussion deserving of its own thread but if i may just briefly chip in here;
one factor in whether Quad vinyl or Q4 or Q8 is superior must surely be if you're talking about the options in terms of separation or fidelity.

personally, for certain types/styles of Quad mix i tend to favour one format over another.

take the archetypal highly active discrete CBS Rock/Pop mix for example: i'm often torn between Q8 separation with 8-track tape sound or SQ vinyl sound quality with poorer separation..
but on a mix by mix basis with the CBS titles i often find myself coming back to the matrix encoded vinyl for sheer sound enjoyment and am willing to sacrifice the last word in separation for what i perceive to be better sound quality.

for A&M Quads i generally prefer the more discrete options over the SQ. Joan Baez "Come From The Shadows" is a notable exception, the QS LP decodes really well.. but in all other instances i can think of from A&M i'll pick a Q4/Q8/CD-4 over any of their matrix offerings.

for WEA i often find the Q8s sound poor and several of the Q4 conversions i've heard have a kinda boomy low end and so more often than not i settle for the CD-4, unless its a WEA title with chronic issues on CD-4.

there are of course a g4eat many Quads for which we have no choice and have to take them in whatever format they're offered, all too often all you've got is a lone CBS SQ release, a Japanese QS or an Ampex Q8 with no alternative..

..and so i've come to what i now call a "format agnostic" approach with old Quads, in much the same way as i chose to drop my format bias (was formerly a "DVD-Audio til i die!" man) in order to enjoy as much 5.1 music as possible.. and the day i came to embrace SACD (thank you, Elton!) was as similarly joyous and liberating an experience as the day i decided "hey, i may be a separation snob but lets just give this Surround Master that all the QQ experts are raving about a try.."

Last edited:
this is really a great discussion deserving of its own thread but if i may just briefly chip in here;
one factor in whether Quad vinyl or Q4 or Q8 is superior must surely be if you're talking about the options in terms of separation or fidelity.

personally, for certain types/styles of Quad mix i tend to favour one format over another.

take the archetypal highly active discrete CBS Rock/Pop mix for example: i'm often torn between Q8 separation with 8-track tape sound or SQ vinyl sound quality with poorer separation..
but on a mix by mix basis with the CBS titles i often find myself coming back to the matrix encoded vinyl for sheer sound enjoyment and am willing to sacrifice the last word in separation for what i perceive to be better sound quality.

for A&M Quads i generally prefer the more discrete options over the SQ. Joan Baez "Come From The Shadows" is a notable exception, the QS LP decodes really well.. but in all other instances i can think of from A&M i'll pick a Q4/Q8/CD-4 over any of their matrix offerings.

for WEA i often find the Q8s poor sound and several of the Q4 conversions i've heard have a kinda boomy low end and so more often than not i settle for the CD-4, unless its a WEA title with chronic issues on CD-4.

there are of course a g4eat many Quads for which we have no choice and have to take them in whatever format they're offered, all too often all you've got is a lone CBS SQ release, a Japanese QS or an Ampex Q8 with no alternative..

..and so i've come to what i now call a "format agnostic" approach with old Quads, in much the same way as i chose to drop my format bias (was formerly a "DVD-Audio man til i die!") in order to enjoy as much 5.1 music as possible.. and the day i came to embrace SACD (thank you, Elton!) was as similarly joyous and liberating an experience as the day i decided "hey, i may be a separation snob but lets just give this Surround Master that all the QQ experts are raving about a try.."
Great stuff! It's kinda why I was trying to be more general about it. From what I've read just here on QQ , there are volumes of all types of information on format / quality conparisons . All great in itself. I myself haven't had the time for comparing between formats , but now that I am newly retired, I will do so . Then I can make a learned opinion.
Thanks again fredblue! Information like yours is what I lean on ! Still a NEWBIE!

for WEA i often find the Q8s sound poor and several of the Q4 conversions i've heard have a kinda boomy low end and so more often than not i settle for the CD-4, unless its a WEA title with chronic issues on CD-4.

..and so i've come to what i now call a "format agnostic" approach with old Quads, in much the same way as i chose to drop my format bias (was formerly a "DVD-Audio til i die!" man) in order to enjoy as much 5.1 music as possible.. and the day i came to embrace SACD (thank you, Elton!) was as similarly joyous and liberating an experience as the day i decided "hey, i may be a separation snob but lets just give this Surround Master that all the QQ experts are raving about a try.."

Lots of years of experience and dedication is needed just to identify these differences! Much love your way Freddie.

Great stuff! It's kinda why I was trying to be more general about it. From what I've read just here on QQ , there are volumes of all types of information on format / quality conparisons . All great in itself. I myself haven't had the time for comparing between formats , but now that I am newly retired, I will do so . Then I can make a learned opinion.
Thanks again fredblue! Information like yours is what I lean on ! Still a NEWBIE!

i'll always be a newbie, on permanent catchup, on the shoulders of giants, many of whom are members here and did it all when i was but a twinkle in the milkman's eye! 🤩🍼💦

if anybody tells you they know it all with this surround stuff you can (imho) view their subsequent spoutings with a healthy dose of skeptical salt!

you never stop learning and you can never know it all, that's part of the mystery of multichannel music! :)

Hi. All

I have a big back log of Q8 & one Q4 to share....

( Electra. Q8 8Q-5015 -Bread I`m-a Want You )-
( Chr. Q8 L9C 1044 -Jethro Tull Aqualung )-
( Mercury. Q8 MQ8-1-1013 0795 -Ohio Players Fire )-
( A&M. Q8 -8Q-53617 -Quincy Jones Body Heat )-
( CTI. Q8 CTQ8 6041 -Deodato/Airto In Concert :Factory Sealed New)-
( Liberty/UA. Q8 A-9025 -Best Of Buddy Rich )-
( Alshire. Q8 TQ1-5 -Bob Jackson "Boots" The Sax )-
( SAM. Q8 9130 Q -The Best Of Al Green )-
( Columbia. Q8 Q8-TWO 359 -Pepe Jaramillo Meets Manuel )-
( Columbia. Q8 CQ 10706 -This Is Music Country )-
( RCA. Q8 1-0013 -Mancini Salutes Sousa )-
( RCA. Q8 RQ8-1047 -The Best Of Fiedler/Boston Pops )-
( Angel. Stereo 8 SQ S131660 -Beverly Sills Andre Kostelanetz: Music Of Hebert )- ...............I haven`t tried this yet but I thinks it is SQ it has the round Angel on front...………….

( Vanguard. Q4 VSS-23 -Igor Stravinsky Petrouchka 1911 Ver-Complete )-

View attachment 39659
View attachment 39660
View attachment 39662
View attachment 39663
View attachment 39664
View attachment 39665
View attachment 39667
View attachment 39668
View attachment 39669
View attachment 39670
View attachment 39671
View attachment 39672
View attachment 39673
View attachment 39674View attachment 39675

Great haul, Bill! Would love to know how discrete the mix is on the Petrouchka, since some of the other Vanguard QRs I've heard are quite good.

I really enjoy comparing the matrix and discrete versions of CBS quads, it's fascinating how sometimes the decoder does an excellent job and sometimes it struggles. I actually just picked up an SQ copy of Harold Melvin's Wake Up Everybody and was shocked how poorly it decoded, so I cued up the title track, available in discrete on AF's The Collection SACD (no Q8 release for this one), and realized why: on the discrete version, the rears start off nearly silent and appear to be used in a very subtle manner. Certainly not your typical uber-dry, uber-discrete CBS quad mix.

In the end, I find it's best to have both SQ and Q8 versions of a given title, if possible. Even if the Q8 sounds lousy, it's nice to have a discrete reference.

Last edited:
Back