What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone seen other Ovation's done that way?

I had the whole set of "Hollywood Gold" Volumes 1 through 4 on that later-style Columbia cartridge. I would imagine they were a second, late run and either Ampex wouldn't or couldn't. Since Columbia was in the Quad game until part-way through '77.... Ovation gave them the contract. That was always my logic. Same deal with the late Project 3's, they too switched to the big, dark grey Columbia Cartridge.

Last edited:
That's weird.
All the Ovation carts i've seen were done by Ampex, yellow or some rare grey ones; that's a Columbia cart - and a late one, from the closing tabs - and it has no mark of being a Record Club release anywhere.
Maybe a re-glued label? Anyone seen other Ovation's done that way?
There are quite a few. Can't remember off hand which ones. Bonnie koloc titles for sure.

Anyone seen other Ovation's done that way?

I've got a copy of Rich Mountain Tower in that style:

Q8 Front.jpg
Q8 Back.jpg

It is interesting but I would like to see QS on the Cassette
But It is S/house music

Minnie's a particularly scarce tape, great Bass/Drums Rears mix and nice album with some stellar musicianship

Indeed, it's one of my favorite quad discoveries. I thought I knew the mix pretty well from the SQ LP, but the difference between this new tape and the last conversion I did (SQ LP through Tate II) is striking. Check out these samples of the rears-only during the same section of "Inside My Love" - it's no contest comparing the two.

Attachments

• Inside My Love First Chorus Q8.mp3
    642.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Inside My Love First Chorus SQ.mp3
    597.4 KB · Views: 278
Indeed, it's one of my favorite quad discoveries. I thought I knew the mix pretty well from the SQ LP, but the difference between this new tape and the last conversion I did (SQ LP through Tate II) is striking. Check out these isolated samples of the rears only during the same section of "Inside My Love" - it's no contest comparing the two.
This is a great album IMO; would love to hear the Q8 someday; it's a weird coinkydink, but Minnie is Maya Rudolf's mom; and I just saw Maya killing it on that Prince special that aired recently, but I didn't know she had those kind of chops!

Indeed, it's one of my favorite quad discoveries. I thought I knew the mix pretty well from the SQ LP, but the difference between this new tape and the last conversion I did (SQ LP through Tate II) is striking. Check out these samples of the rears-only during the same section of "Inside My Love" - it's no contest comparing the two.
Her voice was very malleable when she wanted; on the tune Love And Its Glory, I could swear it was Rickie Lee Jones singing on some parts!
Also, just remembered, Larry Carlton is credited with arranging and conducting on this one.
Other notable players:
Jim Gordon- drums
Dean Parks & L.C. - guitar
Joe Sample- keyboards
Tom Scott & Jim Horn - Sax
and mastered by (LP)- Doug Sax

Also found this interesting info on wiki:
Epic Records anticipated a soul funky sequel, using Family Stone and Tower of Power horn section, which would have been released in November 1975. However, the sessions were never released due to legal issues. 🧐

Back