What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q-Eight, some killer titles there. I bought all the Airplane/Starship related Quads. I have all the US CD-4's. All others I have on Q8. I also bought all of them on CD, most of the Airplane/Starship Gold CD's & all SACD's.

Musically, I like the Papa John the best. Then, the Tuna. BYW: they wanted to name themselves Hot Shit. For some reason, RCA nixed that.

Quad mixes are in keeping with other Grunt titles. There is nothing out of the ordinary about the Quad mixes. Not a bad thing, since they're pretty discrete. 9 for the mixes. 8/9 for most of performances. There are a couple things in Sunfighter that I love musically. Others have never hit me. I'd rate it 6/7 for the music. I also owned LP and own the CD. One of my seldom listened to albums.

Tuna Q8 Quad mix perhaps a bit less active Quad mix. There are less people. Musically, it is one of my fave Tuna albums.

All very worthwhile additions to your collection!

I can't comment on the Friends Q8's. Never heard them. I do have a promo CD-4 of their Greatest. Also own the Golden Classics CD on Collectables. Grazin' in the Grass CD-4 is a track I've played hundreds of times. The rest of the CD-4 and CD are among my least played. Love or Let Me Be Lonely is another of their tracks I like.

Sidebar: Jessica Cleaves joined Earth, Wind & Fire for Last Days & Time and Head to the Sky. I'd Rather Have You on Last Days (2ch only) might be her best performance. Head is one of my most played Q8's and is made better on Quad SACD.

Last edited:
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

Alice BDB Q8 Front.jpg
Alice BDB Q8 Back.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. All

I have a big back log of Quad stuff I`m starting with some Q4 Tapes.

( Odeon EMI. Q4 EOA-5502Z (Japanese) -''Carnival'' Manuel and The Music Of The Mountains )-
( Warner Bros. Q4 RSTQ-2177-QF -Gorden LightFoot "SunDown" )-
( London. Q4 SPO 4407-QF -The Fantasy Film World Of Bernard Herrmann )-
( Alshire International. Q4 ASQ-QC -Hit Songs Written By Bacharach & Webb )-

IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0307-2 a.jpg

IMG_0307-2 b.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0307-2 c.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

Last edited:
Yes definitely, send me a private message and we can arrange transferring the scans via email or wetransfer or something, and I can turn it into a PDF etc.

Hi. steelydave

I will get in touch with you when I have taken a photo of each page unfortunately its a small catalog book with small print I`ll try my best today.
Bill....

Hi. steelydave

I will get in touch with you when I have taken a photo of each page unfortunately its a small catalog book with small print I`ll try my best today.
Bill....

Take the photos with as much light available as possible, and at the highest possible resolution your camera allows - I can zoom/crop/etc. to get as much out of them as possible.

Hi. steelydave

Bill....
Take the photos with as much light available as possible, and at the highest possible resolution your camera allows - I can zoom/crop/etc. to get as much out of them as possible.

Any progress on this or did I just miss it (not trying to be pushy) just the anticipation as to what could be discovered in there has my attention?

Any progress on this or did I just miss it (not trying to be pushy) just the anticipation as to what could be discovered in there has my attention?

The catalog had little quad info of interest, it only lists the four Japanese quad reels we already knew about (XA-1501Z to XA-1504Z) so I kind of de-prioritized it on my "to-do" list.

It does however have a mostly-complete list of the stereo reels from the same series (you can see the list of ones I dug up on my own here) so I'll eventually add the missing ones which should give a pretty complete list. It also looks like it has a list of EMI Angel classical stereo reels as well - not sure if I'll ever get around to making a list of those or not because the process of transcribing japanese kanji by hand is tedious and time consuming, and people don't seem to care much about the Japanese-market quad stuff, let alone stereo reels.

I will post the catalog however in my Toshiba-EMI thread eventually, it just requires some photoshop work first to make it a bit more legible before I convert the 30+ jpegs that Bill sent me into a PDF.

They finally arrived!! 50 days in shipping - I can't believe that. (and I paid for Priority!)
Highly Distinct nearly self-destructed. It was the first I popped in and was met with silence.... so I let it play until music started and then it started to speed up!!! :eek:
Luckily, I yanked it out in time before things got too tight. Somehow, I got lucky and the only damage was two small creases near the beginning where there's no music. The other four all played fine without any surgery.

Now I have all the early PQFT "Grunt" tapes, and only need two more Friends of Distinction: "Love Can Make it Easier" and "Real Friends". I had "Love Can Make it Easier" years ago, but sold it off. What a silly bunt I can be.

Q8s.jpg

They finally arrived!! 50 days in shipping - I can't believe that. (and I paid for Priority!)
Highly Distinct nearly self-destructed. It was the first I popped in and was met with silence.... so I let it play until music started and then it started to speed up!!! :eek:
Luckily, I yanked it out in time before things got too tight. Somehow, I got lucky and the only damage was two small creases near the beginning where there's no music. The other four all played fine without any surgery.

Now I have all the early PQFT "Grunt" tapes, and only need two more Friends of Distinction: "Love Can Make it Easier" and "Real Friends". I had "Love Can Make it Easier" years ago, but sold it off. What a silly bunt I can be.

View attachment 53526
They look immaculate! were they still factory sealed?

View attachment 53526

Great purchase there Q-Eight they look pristine.
BBQ....

View attachment 53526
If they came from the USA it has to go PRIORITY...there are no other options except for EXPRESS. Had they been sent FEDEX or UPS you would have gotten them in 7-10 days. All Foreign bound packages leaving the USA thru the Post Office are now taking approx. 2-3 months. Only use FEDEX/UPS until this COVID Crapola is gone.

I can't comment on the Friends Q8's. Never heard them.

They are typical early RCA Quad mixing style. Bass front center, drums rear - sometimes off in one corner, sometimes not. "Highly Distinct" is the lesser discrete of the pair, having very obvious front and rear sound stages, but being in a very narrow stereo mix. "Whatever" has an interesting mix with drums in Back Left and other percussion (such as congas or tambourine) in Back Right. I don't mind that style of mixing. "Whatever" has instruments appearing in the front corners as well as the back, which is nice. Nothing mind-blowing, other than hearing The Friends of Distinctions' take on The Guess Who New Mother Nature. It's not bad.

Back