What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was the final result of me bidding on a bunch of tapes selling out of Quebec. I think I may have missed a few but for all I know, I got all the Guess Who's the seller had.
I used to have Best of #2 and Artificial Paradise years ago, but Best #2 was on a gold cartridge.

Canadian Q8's 002.JPG
Canadian Q8's 003.JPG

If anybody out there has Wheatfield Soul, Canned Wheat, Share the Land or Rockin' on red, Canadian Q8.... get in touch. I'd like to complete the set.

This was the final result of me bidding on a bunch of tapes selling out of Quebec. I think I may have missed a few but for all I know, I got all the Guess Who's the seller had.
I used to have Best of #2 and Artificial Paradise years ago, but Best #2 was on a gold cartridge.

View attachment 84464View attachment 84465

If anybody out there has Wheatfield Soul, Canned Wheat, Share the Land or Rockin' on red, Canadian Q8.... get in touch. I'd like to complete the set.
Hi. Q-Eight
I have most of them but not as good as looking as yours are, great catch.
BBQ...

After many moons, I've completed this set. I've had Tape 2 for .... more years than I can remember. Bid on multiple copies of Tape 1, but never won. Did win another set that has been stuck across the line in America at my P.O. box for two years. But then an auction came along for 12 RCA Q8's, mostly Red Seals but did include Jose Tape 1. I threw in a best offer and the seller agreed. So, now I have two sets.... I just can't get to one set just yet. Hopefully in the New Year, they'll open up the border to peasants like me.

Jose Q8 001.JPG

Suddenly saw this pop up on discogs for quite a good price so I decided to pick it up. The tape is Gladys Knight & The Pips - Imagination on q4 reel to reel. Looking forward to giving this a listen when my quad tape deck arrives!

Attachments

• 20230111_224129.jpg
    20230111_224129.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Was just doing some diggin' around on discogs, and found this title which I've never seen anywhere.
Ramsey Lewis - The Movie Album
I'm a fan of Ramsey's music; anybody here familiar with this title for surround mixing etc.
I'm doing research and may try to put a system together in the future for Q8; but time is short.
View attachment 36925
Bump,
Well I’m not going the Q8 route it seems, but does anyone else have opinions on this one? Is it good for a possible DV twofer?

Bump,
Well I’m not going the Q8 route it seems, but does anyone else have opinions on this one? Is it good for a possible DV twofer?
Musically, a good Ramsey album, though far from his best. Mix is quasi-quad.

IMHO, best Ramsey Lewis Quad is Upendo ni Pamoja, US Columbia Q8/SQ. Great performance & mix. And it's only three guys.

The Movie Album and Lewis' Best on Cadet aren't worth the bother. I have 2ch LP's of those two that I much prefer spinning. I have a love/hate relationship w/Q8, even though I have about 300 of them. 2ch synthesized off Ortofon MC, CD or SACD is usually a far better experience than a quasi-quad Q8.

I'm complete on Lewis' Quads, as well as his 50's, 60's & 70's output through '75..

Yes would Love a Curtis Mayfield SACD
it be so great.
Well, it would be great, but that Curtis album also appeared on reel to reel Q4, and is not one of the most impressing ones to say the least. That and the Funkadelic were two of the bigger disappointments on quad conversions I might have ever heard.

While not a Quad tape, it's from the Quad era (too bad it WASN'T in Quad), but a neat curiosity from the time.
Sadly, every "Promo" on the tape is the same one. I was hoping it would be like that one Capitol Quad sampler, where the announcer gets a little more involved and mentions the individual songs. Though I find it funny that the announcer does say at the end of each promo "Kris Kristofferson records and tapes - on sale now, in the record department!"

What's a record department? 😁

Kristofferson Sampler 003.JPG
Kristofferson Sampler 004.JPG

Even though purchased a year or so ago this would be the latest tape added to my pile. It differs from the one listed in Discogs, released in 1972. This one says 1969, the box and tape differ. It must be one of the earliest quad reels. I just got around to listening to it and it is fantastic in all ways, sound quality, performance and surround. No poll? I want to vote!

I'm not a huge jazz fan but this album kicks, much better than Mingus! Described as Soul Jazz and Contemporary Jazz while Mingus is described as Post-Bop.
View attachment 101260
Scan-240208-0003.jpg
Scan-240208-0002.jpg
Scan-240208-0001.jpg

My latest and biggest score yet:

IMG_1349.jpeg

15 NOS Q8s @ $50/ea., including some real holy grails. The list:

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

IMG_1356.jpeg

This was from seller Operator_Music on Discogs. The original total for this order would have been ~$980Tyranny and Mutation was listed at $124.70, for instance(!)—but I offered $750 for the lot and they accepted. They have more NOS Q8s for sale, if any of you are interested.

Back