• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Quad Linda

Staff member
Blue Note 2ch SACD Goodness:
Hubtones (3 alt takes) - Freddie Hubbard
Soundin' Off - Dizzy Reece
Davis Cup - Walter Davis
Peckin' Time (3 alt Takes) - Hank Mobley/Lee Morgan
Up At Minton's Vol 1 - Stanley Turrentine
Blowin' the Blues Again (1 bonus track) - Horace Siver
Midnight Special - Jimmy Smith
Introducing The 3 Sounds
Blowing in From Chicago (1 bonus track) - Cliff Jordan/John Gilmore
Blue & Sentimental (2 bonus tracks) - Ike Quebec
Workout (1 bonus track) - Hank Mobley
Hub Cap (2 bonus tracks) - Freddie Hubbard
Chicago Calling (2 bonus tracks) - Johnny Griffin
Hootin' & Tootin' (7 bonus tracks) - Fred Jackson
A.T. 's Delight - Art Taylor
Sunny Side Up (1 bonus track) - Lou Donaldson
Flight to Jordan (1 bonus track) - Duke Jordan

APO 2ch blues SACD's:
All My Life - Jimmy Lee Robinson
My Story - Henry Townsend
Louisiana Country Boy - Harry Hypolite
Shake 'em on Down - David "Honeyboy" Edwards

...and 5 Blue Note boxes for these and the many other Blue Note SACD's in my collection.

Last edited:

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
That's some serious pengar there, I'd be working a couple of months to purchase all at one fell swoop!

Blue Note 2ch SACD Goodness:

Hubtones (3 alt takes) - Freddie Hubbard
Soundin' Off - Dizzy Reece
Davis Cup - Walter Davis
Peckin' Time (3 alt Takes) - Hank Mobley/Lee Morgan
Up At Minton's Vol 1 - Stanley Turrentine
Blowin' the Blues Again (1 bonus track) - Horace Siver
Midnight Special - Jimmy Smith
Introducing The 3 Sounds
Blowing in From Chicago (1 bonus track) - Cliff Jordan/John Gilmore
Blue & Sentimental (2 bonus tracks) - Ike Quebec
Workout (1 bonus track) - Hank Mobley
Hub Cap (2 bonus tracks) - Freddie Hubbard
Chicago Calling (2 bonus tracks) - Johnny Griffin
Hootin' & Tootin' (7 bonus tracks) - Fred Jackson
A.T. 's Delight - Art Taylor
Sunny Side Up (1 bonus track) - Lou Donaldson
Flight to Jordan (1 bonus track) - Duke Jordan

APO 2ch blues SACD's:
All My Life - Jimmy Lee Robinson
My Story - Henry Townsend
Louisiana Country Boy - Harry Hypolite
Shake 'em on Down - David "Honeyboy" Edwards

...and 5 Blue Note boxes for these and the many other Blue Note SACD's in my collection.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
A couple of years ago, Acoustic Sounds had a similar 50% off blow out sale on AP SACDs around the Christmas holidays which included a lot more popular titles which enabled me to stock up on Stereo/mch SACDs [like the Beach Boys] which I wouldn't have ordinarily purchased at their $30 and $40 list prices.

I did purchase all those APO Blues Titles @ $5 each which, to my ears, sound 'authentic' and represent an excellent value but would I have paid their original $25 list price ..... probably NOT!

I did manage to buy those 10 Blue Note Stereo/Mono SACDs for $100 which, IMO, represented a GREAT value but I suppose with Dutton Vocalion's entry into the QUAD/Stereo SACD market a scant few years ago offering QUAD two~fers for £11.99 and double disc sets containing 3 or 4 [or more] complete QUAD LPs for £19.99, we have been spoiled FOREVER, and IMO, D~V's mastering is every bit as mirror perfect as those $30 Stereo SACDs from MoFi and AP!

Now if D~V could only strike a deal with Warner/Rhino and UMG and their associated labels and start releasing those A list titles we all covet ............

Quad Linda

Staff member
The Morning After #0074 - J. Geils Band

Coleman Hawkins and Confreres (Oscar Peterson Trio, Roy Eldridge, Ben Webster)

Surrealistic Pillow (mono) #2201 - Jefferson Airplane

Informal Jazz (mono) - Elmo Hope Sextet (Hope, Coltrane, Mobley, Byrd, Chambers & Philly Joe Jones)

A year ago, I preordered J. Geils. The day it arrived at Music Direct, our card was canceled and a new one was in route. HACK! A couple days later, the new card & # arrived. I called Music Direct. They immediately authorized it and shipped it on 2/4. Yesterday, I called and told them I still didn't receive it. USPS can't account for it after 2/11. They reshipped it and I received it today, along with three new purchases. J. Geils SACD seems jinxed. Music Direct/MoFi gave great customer service!

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I received my 10 Blue Note Stereo/Mono SACDs yesterday for $100 and realized I did have some of those titles already ......but they sound so great, who's complaining, although I do have to concur that when I did buy a few Japanese remastered Blue Note/Riverside BD~A 192/24 titles in Pure Audio BD~A cases when CD Japan was blowing them out for under $10, to my ears, the Japanese remastering is unparalleled! Most unfortunately, those Japanese BD~A discs are now Out of Print!

See the source image

The Definitive version?

Last edited:

Beefalo

QQ Supporter
I'm on my second listen.

I never got a CD of this, but have an LP which only got played a few times. This copy will get heavier rotation.
I have the James Gang rides again SACD and it sounds great. Very crankable....
I wish they had released the other two complete studio James Gang albums in SACD format.

Barbazul

Tears Roll Down HK SACD just arrived. :LB The HK SACD of Enigma’s MCMXC a.D. it’s a winner over all versions I have. I’ll compare the audio vs SHM-SACD version of SFTBC. I would like to be surprised by the The Seeds Of Love songs in this SACD!! I’ll report later 😃
CCF0A0D3-790E-46BF-992D-CB62132001F3.jpeg

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Oh , man, I got SACD envy recently ---I already had this on my wishlist before I saw it here, and of course I have the US LP version from the 80s IN MADRID...I do have a rip but it wasn't that great...
Definitely worth the money too...comes in a small box that includes a mini LP version with the lyrics insert reproduction. The disc itself comes in a high quality white cloth sleeve...took quite a while to get here from Japan but it had tracking...awesome!

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Oh , man, I got SACD envy recently ---I already had this on my wishlist before I saw it here, and of course I have the US LP version from the 80s IN MADRID...I do have a rip but it wasn't that great...
Definitely worth the money too...comes in a small box that includes a mini LP version with the lyrics insert reproduction. The disc itself comes in a high quality white cloth sleeve...took quite a while to get here from Japan but it had tracking...awesome!

I have that one! Yeah, it does sound good. Here are the DR values according to Foobar.

foobar2000 1.5.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2020-04-23 17:47:39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Steve Winwood / Arc Of A Diver (2014 SHM-SACD)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -2.06 dB -17.03 dB 5:16 1/7-While You See A Chance
DR13 -1.12 dB -16.17 dB 5:30 2/7-Arc Of A Diver
DR12 -0.39 dB -15.34 dB 3:44 3/7-Second-Hand Woman
DR12 -2.08 dB -17.00 dB 5:27 4/7-Slowdown Sundown
DR13 -0.01 dB -16.16 dB 6:01 5/7-Spanish Dancer
DR13 -0.88 dB -16.28 dB 7:53 6/7-Night Train
DR14 -0.11 dB -16.90 dB 6:21 7/7-Dust

Number of tracks: 7
Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 88200 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2719 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Beefalo

QQ Supporter
Love "Night Train" & "Spanish Dancer"
I usually turn up the bass a little on this one.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Love Arc of a Diver!
I've owned it on LP, Japan LP, CD, Mofi Gold CD and Japan SHM SACD. I bought the SACD in the last couple months. Love it. Have listened a few times.

We've seen/heard Winwood three times. Once each w/Clapton, solo and opening for Steely Dan.

We have tickets for this summer w/Joe's Daughter. It is again w/Steely Dan. No doubt it will be postponed.

Group builder