What's the story on this Elis & Tom DVD-Audio?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean besides the fact it is (from the item description)

"Remastered in 5.1 stereo surround sound"

stereo surround......sounds like an April Fool's joke...hey...wait.

I have it, and it's amazing. One of my all time favorite albums ever.

The remastered sound is leaps and bounds better than the original stereo version, and yeah, the 5.1 mix is pretty good, however not too agressive in the surrounds (after being on this site, I have developed my quad lingo more, haha). Instead of a dual disc, it comes with both a dvd-a and cd disc double stacked with a cloth seperating the two. The remastered cd version sounds soooo good. I'd give it a 10!

The bonus tracks Fotographia (alt version) and Bonita are only available on the dvd audio portion, and you can check out the site that Trama made here:
http://trama.uol.com.br/elis_tom/

The booklet is in Japanese, English and Portuguese, and its a Phillips release (not too sure what country it's from!) but I suspect its a Brazilian import.

Good stuff tho! The music speaks for itself.

Not sure if necro posting is frowned upon here, but thought there might be a few adventurous souls that are searching for additional data points.

I’m guessing this is too obscure for most US listeners such that a poll was never created. Truly should be on the master lists for DVD-A collectors. I first recall being alerted from an Italian YouTube video where the host had this at the top of his surround disc list. He was so ebullient that as an Antonio ‘Tom’ Carlos Jobim fan I was curious to know more.

I listened to this on iTunes a few times. First couple of listens I was left wishing for more of the joy found contained in the first track. Enjoyment of the more melancholy songs came only with additional listens.

This is a much beloved - even legendary - album in Brazil and I have come to appreciate why this is the case. This was ‘her’ album and the arranger was her husband and Tom was not happy with his work. There was much drama involved in this record “that almost didn’t get made”. As it happens, there is a documentary on the album that was released this year and featured at the Latin American film festival. I haven’t looked for it, but will no doubt will be interested to watch it.

See related YouTube here:

This may not be up the alley of many/most QQ listeners, but it is nevertheless, in my view, a worthy addition to a rounded surround collection. Beautifully recorded album. Sound quality is there. Surround is not aggressive but the music does indeed speak for itself. This is likely the finest example of this work. A Brazilian classic for sure. Either a nine or ten for me.

There are copies on Discogs - just be carefully to be sure it does actually include the DVD disc. The notes the are not the best so it may not be obvious which version is being offered. My copy was shockingly cheap at $6 with shipping included. I previously considered paying far more but the International shipping costs always dissuaded me. I got lucky on finding a deal so a little scrounging may favor you as well.
IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I have this got long ago. It's the only Brazilian DVDA that I own. But been years since I listened. I'm away from home when I get back I will check.

Not sure if necro posting is frowned upon here, but thought there might be a few adventurous souls that are searching for additional data points.

I’m guessing this is too obscure for most US listeners such that a poll was never created. Truly should be on the master lists for DVD-A collectors. I first recall being alerted from an Italian YouTube video where the host had this at the top of his surround disc list. He was so ebullient that as an Antonio ‘Tom’ Carlos Jobim fan I was curious to know more.

I listened to this on iTunes a few times. First couple of listens I was left wishing for more of the joy found contained in the first track. Enjoyment of the more melancholy songs came only with additional listens.

This is a much beloved - even legendary - album in Brazil and I have come to appreciate why this is the case. This was ‘her’ album and the arranger was her husband and Tom was not happy with his work. There was much drama involved in this record “that almost didn’t get made”. As it happens, there is a documentary on the album that was released this year and featured at the Latin American film festival. I haven’t looked for it, but will no doubt will be interested to watch it.

This may not be up the alley of many/most QQ listeners, but it is nevertheless, in my view, a worthy addition to a rounded surround collection. Beautifully recorded album. Sound quality is there. Surround is not aggressive but the music does indeed speak for itself. This is likely the finest example of this work. A Brazilian classic for sure. Either a nine or ten for me.

There are copies on Discogs - just be carefully to be sure it does actually include the DVD disc. The notes the are not the best so it may not be obvious which version is being offered. My copy was shockingly cheap at $6 with shipping included. I previously considered paying far more but the International shipping costs always dissuaded me. I got lucky on finding a deal so a little scrounging may favor you as well.View attachment 99684

View attachment 99685

AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY, ZAR....A GREAT ALBUM INDEED. REMINDS ME I NEED TO PULL IT OUT OF MY PILE AND GIVE IT A SPIN.

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!

Happy to spark a little interest in the album here. I was listening to it in the car earlier. Truly is some beautiful music they manage to capture to disc. Not crazy about some of the arrangements, but that was the era, and based on tales related to the California session, a lot of partying was going on. There are some especially nuanced parts of the album that lift the performances and the vibe was Brazilian flavored in the best way possible. Couldn’t turn up the documentary but need to hunt around a bit more.

Thank you, zar, for reviving this thread on what's probably a mostly forgotten surround release.

Very nice mix and mastering on this one. The 5.1 is understated and fits the music nicely. I haven't spun it in a while but like it a lot. Elis & Tom is pretty much a requirement for lovers of Bossa Nova.

Thank you, zar, for reviving this thread on what's probably a mostly forgotten surround release.

Very nice mix and mastering on this one. The 5.1 is understated and fits the music nicely. I haven't spun it in a while but like it a lot. Elis & Tom is pretty much a requirement for lovers of Bossa Nova.
Pleased to provide the motivation to get this album spinning for others. I originally bought this for Jobim but ended up a Regina fan too.

just a quickie to say there's also a 5.1 DVD-Audio of Elis Regina's "Falso Brilhante" from 2006.

"Falso Brilhante" is also in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music (other streaming services are available! 😅 ) 😍

View attachment 99698

View attachment 99699

View attachment 99700
Didn’t know about this recording - thanks for the suggestion!

Just discovered a biopic on her from 2016. No idea if it’s watchable but saw it on IMDb here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4875150/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

There are copies on Discogs - just be carefully to be sure it does actually include the DVD disc. The notes the are not the best so it may not be obvious which version is being offered. My copy was shockingly cheap at $6 with shipping included. I previously considered paying far more but the International shipping costs always dissuaded me. I got lucky on finding a deal so a little scrounging may favor you as well.View attachment 99684

View attachment 99685

Never heard of it…but picked up a copy due to your “necro posting” 😜

Never heard of it…but picked up a copy due to your “necro posting” 😜
Haha on validating necro posting around here. It’s one of those things that new members to a community often get savaged over…

Glad to know that I have encouraged you to grab a copy for yourself. Happy listening!

Maybe we can build momentum for a poll creation for Elis & Tom? 😀 There truly is a shortage of listener info on surround discs (in general) and polls serve as a valuable repository of otherwise hard to find info. As time allows, I am hoping to do more necro posting to the poll threads as a means of giving back to the community that first piqued my interest in surround discs.

Back