What's your latest earworm???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read that Animal Logic -- Stewart Copeland, Stanley Clarke, and Deborah Clarke -- are in the process of producing an EP. Here is Animal Logic's 1989 debut single....

Wow! Who'd ever thought this combination would happen? Long time fan of bassist Stanley Clarke, and I like Copeland, though this is the first time I've seen his name mentioned since The Police broke up.
Deborah Clarke not ringing any bells right this moment but she has a nice singing voice.
Could be super.

Wow I guess the group has been around a while. Learn something new every day.

Last edited:
I've been spinning the new album by French indie artist Mcbaise called Tubes pretty much once a day for the last two weeks. It's hard to put my finger on exactly how I'd describe his sound but it's a combination of heavy-sounding guitars, some funky drumming (and a lot of 16th-note hi-hat grooves, a personal favourite) and an array of vintage '70s and '80s analog synths. At times, though the songwriting style isn't really that similar, the mellow, melancholic vibe reminds me a bit of early/mid '70s Pink Floyd.

In addition to being a great musician, Mcbaise is also an incredibly talented traditional animator in the Max Fleischer style, and he does all the animation for his music videos himself:

The whole album is great and very much in the style of these two tracks if you like them at all.

I've been spinning the new album by French indie artist Mcbaise called Tubes pretty much once a day for the last two weeks. It's hard to put my finger on exactly how I'd describe his sound but it's a combination of heavy-sounding guitars, some funky drumming (and a lot of 16th-note hi-hat grooves, a personal favourite) and an array of vintage '70s and '80s analog synths. At times, though the songwriting style isn't really that similar, the mellow, melancholic vibe reminds me a bit of early/mid '70s Pink Floyd.

In addition to being a great musician, Mcbaise is also an incredibly talented traditional animator in the Max Fleischer style, and he does all the animation for his music videos himself:

The whole album is great and very much in the style of these two tracks if you like them at all.

Wow, I really like that vibe, for sure. I'm going to seek this out.

Ennio Morricone - The Ecstasy Of Gold / L'estasi Dell'oro from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

(Watched the movie last night on Blu ray so it's fresh on my mind...)

Wow! Who'd ever thought this combination would happen? Long time fan of bassist Stanley Clarke, and I like Copeland, though this is the first time I've seen his name mentioned since The Police broke up.
Deborah Clarke not ringing any bells right this moment but she has a nice singing voice.
Could be super.

Wow I guess the group has been around a while. Learn something new every day.

The lead vocalist's name is actually Deborah Holland. Sorry about the mistake. She's also the main songwriter for the group.

The band's first album featured Steve Howe (of Yes), Pete Haycock (of Climax Blues Band), and Michael Thompson on guitar.

Last edited:

Don't forget Gizmodrome
1647006035479.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gizmodrome_(album)Stewart Copeland
Vittorio Cosma (PFM)
Mark King (Level 42)
Adrian Belew

It is a pretty hit and miss affair in my book, but when it hits it hits hard.

If you have CD-4 and/or Q8 capabilities, Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe came out on those formats. Over-Nite also was released on Quad reel. IMHO, Overnite is one of his best.

Frank Zappa in general but mainly the track ‘Dirty Love’. About time we got some Zappa studio albums in surround. Make it happen Dweezil.

If you have CD-4 and/or Q8 capabilities, Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe came out on those formats. Over-Nite also was released on Quad reel. IMHO, Overnite is one of his best.
Yes, I’ve read that they don’t quite take full advantage of the rear speakers though. Even then I don’t have the equipment to do CD-4 stuff. Some copies of the ‘95 Ryko CD reissue of Apostrophe was actually the quad master folded down into stereo. The differences are minimal but like the backing vocals on Uncle Remus have more separation from Zappa’s main vocal.

My poll ratings were 7 overall for Apostrophe, 6 for music and 9 for mix.
7 was the lowest rating anyone else gave it.

Overnite, I rated 10, based on a great mix and performance.

You can't assume anything based on a fold-down 2ch mix derived from the Quad. It will give a realistic snapshot of the relative volume of the instruments and four channels combined into two ONLY if the relative levels weren't changed. I don't believe that it will provide an accurate representation of either the 2ch or Quad mixes.

If you have a 2ch 8-track player, you can play a Q8, albeit listening to the front channels on one pass, then the rears in the other pass. Although not listening in surround, you'll at least get an idea of what is on each individual channel.

Quad polls for those albums:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/zappa-frank-apostrophe-cd-4-q8.22419/
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/mothers-the-over-nite-sensation-cd-4-q8-qr.28334/

My poll ratings were 7 overall for Apostrophe, 6 for music and 9 for mix.
7 was the lowest rating anyone else gave it.

Overnite, I rated 10, based on a great mix and performance.

You can't assume anything based on a fold-down 2ch mix derived from the Quad. It will give a realistic snapshot of the relative volume of the instruments and four channels combined into two ONLY if the relative levels weren't changed. I don't believe that it will provide an accurate representation of either the 2ch or Quad mixes.

If you have a 2ch 8-track player, you can play a Q8, albeit listening to the front channels on one pass, then the rears in the other pass. Although not listening in surround, you'll at least get an idea of what is on each individual channel.

Quad polls for those albums:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forums/quadraphonic-lps-tapes-spotlight.46/
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/mothers-the-over-nite-sensation-cd-4-q8-qr.28334/
I appreciate it, I guess I read somewhere that it just wasn’t an active mix, although still discrete and am still hoping for his stuff to be mixed in the style of the Dukes release or something similar. As for the quad mix-down it was just more interesting than anything that they used the quad master for stereo CD reissues for a few years before reverting to the true 2ch mix.

Which CD release presents the Quad mix mixed to 2ch? Do you have the catalog #?

I wasn't aware of that!
It’s really hard to determine which pressings included which mix but the Quad mix down was used for most of the CD’s from the 1995 reissue campaign on Rykodisc. I say most because no one really knows exactly. I use this website to wrap my head around all the variations, it’s staggering:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/index.html
Apparently they reverted back to the true 2ch vinyl mix in 2000 for the gold CD but as far as I can tell I have a Canadian reissue from 2003 that uses the Quad master:

4206827C-5B6E-46DD-AF56-D85B739FB743.jpegF19B9B3D-07BC-4625-A186-25EAE2F3F8BC.jpeg
Catalog number is RCD 10519
And on the disc itself the matrix code is Y11958 A4 P2 310519-2 02
There is also a WEA Mfg. Olyphant logo as well

As I said the mix of Uncle Remus has instruments and vocals separated out a little more, but also cuts out a bit of the guitar solo at the end. There is also an extra bar of music in Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow.

Back