WHEN DID EVERYONE GET INVOLVED WITH QUAD , ANY FORMAT AND EQUIPMENT (THIS INCLUDES MODS)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere around 1975 I got a deal on a Marantz 2440 quad adapter, I have no idea any more where. and added it to my 2270, Pickup up a couple speakers for it that I can't remember either expect that they did have some Jensen electrostatic tweeters in them. The amps looked so sweet together in their beautiful walnut cabinets. ;) The 2440 had the SQ board in it and also did some type of matrixing. Whole system sounded amazing for the late 70s. Ended up losing it all in a divorce a few years later. :mad:
Here a pic of me eating a Whopper and the amps in the background next to a AR XB table with a Stanton 681 cartridge IIRC.
Had multich gear ever since, been on a binge recently, constantly upgrading the system over the last decade, with a complete system overhaul around 3 times. I think I'm done now, at least for a while. LOL
View attachment 68370
I've seen that pic before & I love it as much as I love Whopper's today.

I got my start in a very similar way to @MidiMagic .
. The 1st real piece of quad gear I had was also one of Sansui's 1st, a QS-1:

View attachment 68240

It was beautiful unit for that time & had meters & the controls for balance the way I like best even today. But it wasn't Variomatrix at all. In fact Sansui called it the Quadphonic Synthesizer. This was so early Sansui was working on QS as we know it & saw the main purpose of the QS-1 for playing back stereo. It had an odd mode option to "rotate" outputs 90 or 180 deg, not phase, but position.
Yep, that was first piece also. I even had the original box, darn :mad:

I first heard a quad demo in 73 or 73. Didn't get a QS-1 until 1989 or so. Bought JVC, Pioneer quad receivers in the 90's, but finally got into it until they came out with the Chase Blu-Ray discs so that I could play them on my Sony universal player and Yamaha Aventage receiver. Now everything goes through a switchbox, 8 IN, 1 OUT, into the Surround Master v2, so after 50 years I finally get to listen to quadraphonic recordings:SB

We used to go to the small library in the small town I unfortunately grew up in and drool over the "High Fidelity" magazines the the 1969-1974 era, wanting to get that TEAC 3340 deck as bad as lusting for the long-legged brunette Flag girl. I'm going to be smiling now watching those big-a$$ reels spin around on the TEAC 3440 deck my best friend is letting me use.(y)

Last edited:
By 1973, I had a Harman/Kardon 75+ receiver (SQ quad w/ joy stick for balance) which could be switched into "bridged" mode to output 45 watts/channel to the fronts while providing the rear signals for pre-out to a DIY amplifier. Heaven.

1624812092005.png

Once I had made my fortune in home entertainment retailing during the 1980's, I built an addition onto my new suburban house for a Meridian home theater. 35 years later, I am still happily stuck in their ecosystem with an all-digital network using Audirvana and Roon to play my rips, and with occasional help from a miniDSP usb-to-SPDIF unit and Oppo player.

I donated all of the matrixed LPs from my H/K days to Dreaming Spires for digital extraction/conversion while he was still doing that work for all of us. First discs purchased were probably locally produced by Ovation, such as Get Off In Chicago.

Last edited:
Being overly practical (and financially honest) I started out with a Q8-track system in my car around '74 (I think). At the time it was the easiest way for me to do quad. I was doing much of my listening in the car as opposed to at home at the time. Also, after reading a lot about the format I was convinced that, for me, Q8 was the way to go as the matrix systems were not true discrete 4 channel sound. The deck I bought was put out by Clarion (with some relationship to Muntz). It was an underdash and the install was quite easy. I had a '72 Charger and just needed to install speakers in the kick panels up front. I had the local stereo shop do the cut outs and install of the Jensen coaxial 5 1/4" speakers which 'just fit'. I had previously replaced the factory 6X9's in the rear deck with coaxials (possibly Jensen or R/S). Put back boxes, which were a new thing at the time, on the 6X9's to improve the bass (I don't like 'cliche boomy' car sound, prefer a more balanced presentation). It sounded great!

Don't remember what was the first tape I bought, but I ended up with a bunch of stuff I liked - Walls & Bridges, DSOTM, Iguana's Winds of Alamar, Blow By Blow, Road Food, On the Border, Tea for the Tillerman, Question of Balance, DOFP, Court & Spark, Apostrophe, Stampede, Capt. & Me, Hearts, Holiday, Allman Bros. Live album, 421 Ocean Blvd., Supersession, All American Boy, several Tomita albums, Myths/Legends of King Arthur, Can't Buy a Thrill, Mysterious Traveller, Nilsson Schmilsson etc. Most were quite good, a few disappointing.

I got a lot of my tapes from a little newsletter/catalog that stocked quite a bit of what was available on tape and vinyl in whatever quad format you might want. They also had a section where folks could post quad related gear for sale. From that I got a used Pioneer QH-44 deck for the house. I also picked up a Dynaco Quadapter, which separates out the out of phase sounds and channels it to rear speakers, from another seller.

Around that time (80's), Carver had come out with some gear that introduced a delayed, out of phase version of the audio and cross panned it (don't remember if this was just an amp/receiver or speaker system or both). The idea was, for example, that you would have left channel audio accompanied by a separate driver with out of phase and delayed right channel audio coming from the same speaker. The delay matched the delay of an average human's HTF. I put together the poor man's version by placing a Minimus 7 on each of my speakers, set them back around 8 inches from the front of the cabinet for the HTF delay, left was right/right was left and wired them opposite phase wise to the main speakers. It definitely produced a larger and more immersive listening experience. My one error was I used my Kenwood's A+B speaker choice to do this which made the impedance too low for safe operation of the integrated amp. After several years the Kenwood quit working which was my own fault having intentionally used the setting and the resulting impedance issue.

As things have changed, I no longer have a music set up at home. Any listening I do now is in car and I'm not doing as much of that as I used to. It's gotten to the place it's so overwhelming with all the great stuff out there, I stopped trying keep up with it all. I read what you folks post here and wish I was 25 again with disposable income. Lot's a great music out there. Enjoy!

I've seen that pic before & I love it as much as I love Whopper's today.

Back when fast food (we didn't call it that, then) was at least good. Most of it is decidedly mediocre these days. McDonald's burgers, which I used to love and they were delicious, are hideous. And I particularly loved Whoppers and now they taste like they are made remotely and merely warmed up at the local store even though the wonderful char-broiled smell is still in the air around the restaurant.

And, the beef they use is tasteless, these days.

Doug

A bit of a repeat for me from another thread, but my first quad gear was a Pioneer QX-949A receiver, Pioneer PL-530 turntable, and Pioneer SE-Q404 headphones. I picked all of those pieces up in Ebay between 2002 and 2004, after having discovered this forum. My first quad LP was also an Ebay purchase, Atom Heart Mother in SQ, as I had become hooked on the title track a few years earlier on stereo cassette and wanted to hear it in surround.

I've barely ever seen any quad gear for sale in-person, and when I have it's always been the bottom of the barrel stuff that helped give quad the bad rap back in the day. As a footnote though, I picked up my first thrift store or discount bin quad LPs: Dynaquad, SQ, and CD-4 in 2012. My first QS probably in 2013, and my first Stereo-4 definitely in 2013. I didn't stumble across my first Ambisonic LP until 2017, and got my only UD-4 LP in 2016. I think my first Q8 (only own five) was in 2012 or 2013, and my only Q4 was in 2016 or 2017.

I may be the record holder for the longest time between becoming interested in Quad sound and actually getting a Quad system.

1971 - Read about Quad sound in 2 Pioneer brochures (QX-8000 and QA-800).
1972 - 4Q1972 - Bought my first stereo system, I did ask if I could get a phono cartridge suitable for CD-4, but I ended up with a Shure M91ED (some sort of 1 cent sale, I really did pay just a penny for the cartridge).
1976 - Bought a NOS Electro-Voice EVX-4 Stereo-4 decoder.
1983 - Designed and built myself a DynaQuad and Quadralizer matrix decoder.
1989 - Bought a Pioneer SX-2300 stereo receiver (at Walmart).
1990 - Bought another SX-2300.
1991 - QUAD!! - Bought 4 Pioneer CS-G103 speakers - Pioneer QX-747 (pawn shop, tried CD-4, but it wasn't reliable).
1992 - Bought a Technics SH-400 CD-4 demod (finally got CD-4 working with my Shure V-15 Type 3).
2000 - 2004 - 2018 - Bought Pioneer surround sound receivers, Polk speakers.
2021 - 2 of 3 planned surround sound systems operating.

1973 - 1st Quad LP -1st RCA Quadradisc - bought numerous other CD-4 and matrix discs thru 1976.
1981 - 1st surround sound [other format] - Pioneer Laserdisc player and some stereo laserdiscs (which I found out later were Dolby Surround encoded).

Kirk Bayne

I may be the record holder for the longest time between becoming interested in Quad sound and actually getting a Quad system.

Kirk I think I may have you beaten. I became an audio nut in about 1967. I read with some interest about Quad systems but somehow despite having lots of friends with "stereos" nobody had a quad system. Also here in St. Louis no store which I frequented had a quad setup on display for auditioning.
I did observe the quad releases at the record store and probably was not terribly attracted to most of the releases. I also probably could not generate much enthusiasm for matrix systems and especially not for CD-4.
Consequently I missed the whole thing.

Until about 2018 and I started working on my stereo at my new digs and wanted to get up to date on the new fangled stuff I had missed. So about 50 years rather than your 20. Better late than never.

I wish my late stereo buddy Frank were alive to see and hear multi channel at CD or greater resolution. We at the time were very cranked about 2 channel stereo at CD resolution. Imagine having a disc in your living room that is as good as the master tape (in the analog days) He passed away in 1994 and I turned away from the hobby for quite a while. Had he survived I am sure we would have rigged up a multi channel set up when SACDs and DVD -As came out. But I missed that too , except once seeing a setup in a big box store and being aghast at the price of both the hardware and software.

For me it was August of 1972. I graduated college earlier that summer and decided as soon as I saved up enough $$ I was going to buy a quadraphonic system. I went downtown Cleveland to AudioCraft- the best hifi store in the area, and bought the Fisher ST-504 quad receiver with the way cool joystick balance control, along with 4 Large Advent loudspeakers, and a Garrard turntable. My first lp was Santana Abraxis. I still have the 4 Advents and the lp :) After about 5 years, Quad then went dormant in my life until around 2012, when the virus re-emerged full force, leading me to my all-Sansui set up which I use today.

2010, right after I turned 40. Wanted to be able to play all music formats in my VW camper van, and already had CD, DVD, MP3, cassette, satellite radio and HD radio, so bought a Panasonic quad player on eBay after seeing this photo and write-up on 8track Heaven:
1641028793788.jpeg
A decade later, I have collected hundreds of 8-track tapes (both quad and stereo), picked up a couple of home quad decks, yet still never installed this beauty in my van. Long term project I guess. I’ll get there once I can figure out how to fuse the electrical properly! LOL.

I bought one of these Zenith F947P Allegro Quad Consoles new in the early 1970s while I was in high school. I think I was only making $2.10/hour as a typist in a law firm at night and during the weekends, so I took out my first loan through my mother's credit union for under $700 to pay for it. I had it in my mother's living room in two houses until I finished college and got my own place.

View attachment 68253

It is still in my garage with two pairs of rear external speakers, one pair is the original pair that came with the console, the other pair I was able to find on ebay (albeit badly refinished but speakers were good).

Don't remember what my first quad album and Q8 were but the Columbia An Introduction To The World Of SQ Quadraphonic Sound, QX 31403 and the Shaft Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Q8 Enterprise ENS-2-5002 were some of the first I owned.

After I added a BIC and then later Technics SL-650 Direct-Drive Turntable, TEAC A3440S 4-Channel Reel to Reel and JVC KD3030 Cassette Deck did the audio quality that came out of the Zenith was surprisingly excellent and sounded so much better than component quad systems in the same price range.
Among console audio collectors those are highly prized. Glad you hung on to yours!

1973 - 1st Quad LP -1st RCA Quadradisc - bought numerous other CD-4 and matrix discs thru 1976.
1991 - QUAD!! - Bought 4 Pioneer CS-G103 speakers - Pioneer QX-747 (pawn shop, tried CD-4, but it wasn't reliable).
1992 - Bought a Technics SH-400 CD-4 demod (finally got CD-4 working with my Shure V-15 Type 3).

Kirk Bayne
Kirk, you sound like me right now, stockpiling surround albums until I can listen to them sometime later. 18 to 19 years between buying and finally playing them (at least for CD-4) is quite a commitment! Could have used more of us each time surround sound re-emerged on the market in the past.

So... I built a full-range Quad system, following Wendy Carlos's advice.
She was where I developed my speaker arrangement from many years ago too.

18 to 19 years between buying and finally playing them

I thought Quad would catch on, I mostly listen(ed) to popular music and I like the "gimmicks" of sound rotating around and zig zagging around (the Hugo Montenegro albums, for example).

I did use my EV decoder for "quad" in early 1983, I took my stereo system + laserdisc player to the home of a friend and, with his stereo system, we watched/listened to the then new Star Trek 2 Laserdisc in surround sound.

(aside: several other friends there went out a bought laserdisc players soon after seeing ST2 in surround sound)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Back