Where to find a decoder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Onkyo SV-909 Surround receiver that came out in '92 has a UHJ decoder and have seen them on Ebay for a good price. The originally listed for $1800 new.
That might be an option.

Well did dome research, as a result I may look for a Meridian 561 or 561M pre/processor as this will be great in the upstairs system :)

Has anyone tried both Ambisonic UHJ as well as quad sources on either the latest Dolby ProLogic; IIx or Circle Surround? I agree the Cantares processor was better on UHJ but can't say I've missed it since I sold it. The height channels of IIx and some of the other approaches (Yamaha etc.) add quite a lot to all sources, used on either the sides or front.

I have pro-logic II (Not X), circle surround II and Neo surround modes on a receiver and UHJ on an Onkyo SV-909 and a Tate II. Quad sources decode well enough in DPII & CSII to enjoy but nothing like the tate. I prefer CSII over the others for expanding stereo recordings. UHJ does not not decode properly but if it is all you have I think that it is better than plain ol' stereo when listening to titles like Stereotomy or trinity sessions that are UHJ.

Decoding UHJ is possible, i've done it a number of times for a few releases on the blog. But, i've become dissatisfied with the 'cut backs' that UHJ went through during it's initial devolopment, to the point that UHJ is always thought of as watered down Ambisonics, which it is. These cut backs also seriously hampered all of the hardware decoders ever released, because they were based on these watered down principles.

My original attempts to over come some of the issues did improve image stability and location, but i always thought it could be bettered.

I'm planning on returning to UHJ once the work i'm doing at the moment is finished. Whether my ideas are feasable i don't know, but i'll give it a bloody good try.

Well did dome research, as a result I may look for a Meridian 561 or 561M pre/processor as this will be great in the upstairs system :)

Without searching anyone know how the 561 compares to the 565?

OK!!

have found out the 565 is mainly a decoder the 561 preamp/decoder

Back