Where to find a decoder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamazeev

Looking for a decoder, but no traces except of expensive Meridian 561. Moreover not sure it decodes in analog domain. What to do?

Have a look in this section. You might find some software advice to decode.
The best place to start might be http://www.ambisonic.net/ but I can't vouch for it.
What music do you have ?

I know the link. Software is great, but I am in analog world.
Was really impressed by ambisonic converted to DTS and would like to buy some UHJ Lps.

I could do a limited run of new decoders based on the original Gerzon design for Integrex.
They would retain the SQ. QS, UHJ, HJ, BMX, Stereo and Wide Stereo mode of the original design. The unit would be modified with a new power supply and new op-amps to bring the sonic performance up to today's standards.
I built my unit will Mil-Spec components with very tight tolerances. This is essential in the phase-shifters, if positional errors are to be minimized.
I have worked on radar systems all my life and the end result would be a very professional unit. This is not a sales pitch, by the way; I hope it's OK to post it!
I am just curious to see if there would be sufficient interest to warrant a series of, say, 100 units.
Any comments are welcome!

Great news. Looks like unversal decoder. I am sure most of the forum guys including me will buy. I am a marketing manager in a hi-end company in Ukraine and feel there is chance to sell it in small quantities. This is sure a niche market but every country 5-10 pcs - and you will soon gather 100 pcs. And without any competition and advertising.

What is the estimated retail price for 100 pcs?

Great news. Looks like unversal decoder. I am sure most of the forum guys including me will buy. I am a marketing manager in a hi-end company in Ukraine and feel there is chance to sell it in small quantities. This is sure a niche market but every country 5-10 pcs - and you will soon gather 100 pcs. And without any competition and advertising.

What is the estimated retail price for 100 pcs?

Based on the components list and the labor, if we go for top quality, tight tolerance components (much better resistors and capacitors than the Integrex-produced units) and new, fast slew rate, low noise op amps, I think it could sell for $600, for a run of 100 units, professionally made.
Feedback?

I think for the niche market the price more or less acceptible. What will be distribution channels? Direct internet sales? I could help personally with the web site and advertising (been some time in advertising). What fundings planned?

I think for the niche market the price more or less acceptible. What will be distribution channels? Direct internet sales? I could help personally with the web site and advertising (been some time in advertising). What fundings planned?

Direct sales for the planned price structure. (I am making a lot of assumptions here, by the way). I would fund the run, but would also consider pre-orders with partial payment, who would get a discount.

So I am the only who is going to order? The last of Mohicans? Not sure. Hey, guys, where are you???
Any photos of the beast?

I'd be interested if there existed a wealth of compelling Ambisonic material. Alas, there is not.

I'd be interested if there existed a wealth of compelling Ambisonic material. Alas, there is not.

Actually, I found many titles that are recorded in UHJ Ambisonics: all the Nimbus CDs, many UK Collins CDs, Unicorn Kanchana, some Chesky CDs, York and several others. There are also many stereo CDs recorded using the Calrec Soundfield microphone, that will play back beautifully in UHJ.
But, as importantly, this decoder will decode all matrix Quad recordings ambisonically. The ambisonic rendering of stereo recordings is also awsome. In ambisonics, you are not listening to discrete speaker feeds, but to a seamless 360Âş soundfield. That, to me at least, makes a huge sonic difference.

So I am the only who is going to order? The last of Mohicans? Not sure. Hey, guys, where are you???
Any photos of the beast?
Here's a picture. This is the one I use, hand made before computer graphics became available! If we do get enough interest to launch a short production run, the case and faceplate will be professionally produced and look a lot better than my own unit. The number of controls will remain the same, of course. The picture shows the various surround modes that are decoded ambisonically by this fine unit.

integrex2.jpg

Since the picture is not very clear, I will list the decoder modes:
Mono, Stereo, Expanded Stereo (wide stage), Ambisonic "B" Mode (3 channel input), UHJ (also 45J), BHJ (BBC Matrix H), RM/QS, BMX (UD4), SQ.

Actually, I found many titles that are recorded in UHJ Ambisonics: all the Nimbus CDs, many UK Collins CDs, Unicorn Kanchana, some Chesky CDs, York and several others.
Yes, but I stated that I'd be interested if there were a wealth of compelling Ambisonic titles available. Granted, this is purely subjective, but I've researched Ambisonic titles available, and yes, there are quite a few, but the reality is I'm only interested in maybe two or three of them. Certainly not enough to justify investment in an Ambisonic decoder.

But, as importantly, this decoder will decode all matrix Quad recordings ambisonically. The ambisonic rendering of stereo recordings is also awsome.
I recall that the Cantares Ambisonic processor was based on the Integrex design as well, and those who tested the Cantares with SQ material reported that performance was sub-par compared to purposed full-logic SQ decoders. As for stereo material, Sansui Variomatrix and Tate II 101a surround would be tough to beat.

Yes, but I stated that I'd be interested if there were a wealth of compelling Ambisonic titles available. Granted, this is purely subjective, but I've researched Ambisonic titles available, and yes, there are quite a few, but the reality is I'm only interested in maybe two or three of them. Certainly not enough to justify investment in an Ambisonic decoder.

Fair enough!! (y)

I recall that the Cantares Ambisonic processor was based on the Integrex design as well, and those who tested the Cantares with SQ material reported that performance was sub-par compared to purposed full-logic SQ decoders. As for stereo material, Sansui Variomatrix and Tate II 101a surround would be tough to beat.

here I beg to differ. The output, when done ambisonically, is seamless; but we are free to disagree and enjoy our surround systems! :):)

Back