Where would you position just two height speakers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my most enjoyable listening experiences since getting a surround system have been Quads. I never got to hear that as a kid in the 70s. It felt like more of a revelation to me once I finally heard it than even full surround.

(My Star Wars/Close Encounters from DV is still showing only Label Created about a week after ordering.)
And it's simply amazing that with 2 perfectly imaged front speakers how truly effective the phantom center REALLY is!

As I'm days away from realizing a similar set up, Blackwood, my installer has elected to place the overhead speakers in alignment with my 'sweet spot.'

Putting them behind would compete with the rears. They will be angled down ...NOT overhead .... on the side walls on a similar equidistant plane with my front and rear speakers.

I'm NOT a fan of in ceiling overhead speakers as once they're situated there's absolutely NO flexibility. I cannot do TRUE Atmos because of height restrictions so I was assured this was the optimum approach. And I'm fine with a 7.1 system as a ton of my UHD4K discs also sport 7.1 soundtracks [as well as ATMOS] so there'll be no fold down.

Just ensure your height speakers share similar characteristics with your front and rear speakers to assure a somewhat seamless soundstage front> height> rear.

Since I don't know the exact layout of your room you may choose an alternate approach and perhaps other posters can share their experiences with you.

In any case I wish you the best of luck!

Ralph, I am curious as to how big your height speakers will be. Like you, my mains and surrounds are huge floorstanders. So I elected to install "full-size" (8" woofers) bookshelf units partially in the ceiling for my four height speakers. (My layout is for combined Atmos / Auro 3D as recommended by Marantz / Denon and others. I also had some wiggle room as to final placement of the fronts and surrounds, as well as the MLP, had there been a need for adustments.)

AV system with Atmos Auro3D 2021.jpg

and how many speakers are REALLY enough with front, center, subs, side, rears and NOW, OVERHEADS...and do they in any way MATCH so that a SEAMLESS, cohesive soundstage is present throughout?

I've spent the last few years assembling what I consider a pretty state of the art audio/video system and since I don't have the height to EFFECTIVELY do a NO COMPROMISE ATMOS/AURO 3D system, I've opted to install two self amplified Meridian overhead speakers which for me is sufficient to at least replicate a semblance of overhead activity and since most UHD4K films do have a dedicated 7.1 codec, and NOT a mix~down from ATMOS, it will have to make due for now.
This is an issue that is seldom talked about. There really is no way to match the heights to the mains in a typical living space. Suppose you are running floor standing towers for the mains (like me). There is no way to voice match them to something considerably smaller, especially if the heights are recessed designs. The best I could do was get speakers that use the same tweeter in all cases. But still, there is considerable timber mismatch between the mains and the heights in my system, and also between the mains and the horizontal center.

The mismatch is plainly evident using pink noise. Its much less evident (and much harder to evaluate) with real music. It is certainly a tradeoff though.

Ralph, I am curious as to how big your height speakers will be. Like you, my mains and surrounds are huge floorstanders. So I elected to install "full-size" (8" woofers) bookshelf units partially in the ceiling for my four height speakers. (My layout is for combined Atmos / Auro 3D as recommended by Marantz / Denon and others. I also had some wiggle room as to final placement of the fronts and surrounds, as well as the MLP, had there been a need for adustments.)

View attachment 86270
Good question, AR. I added them only about two weeks ago and they are enroute from Meridian's UK factory. My main floorstanding speakers [4] stand about 54 inches each and I believe the heights will replicate the top portion of the speakers which are 14" in height. ALL self~amplified speakers have 750 watts of power and include phase aligned subwoofers. They will flank a 120" Projection Screen. I believe the heights which are also self amplified have 100 watts each of Class A power. Here's a photo of the floorstanders ..... note: this is NOT my llstening room. Photos will be added when room is complete:

meridian.jpg

Good question, AR. I added them only about two weeks ago and they are enroute from Meridian's UK factory. My main floorstanding speakers [4] stand about 54 inches each and I believe the heights will replicate the top portion of the speakers which are 14" in height. ALL self~amplified speakers have 750 watts of power and include phase aligned subwoofers. They will flank a 120" Projection Screen. I believe the heights which are also self amplified have 100 watts each of Class A power. Here's a photo of the floorstanders ..... note: this is NOT my llstening room. Photos will be added when room is complete:

meridian.jpg
That approach may work out better than most. At least you will have matched timbre through the midrange.

That approach may work out better than most. At least you will have matched timbre through the midrange.
And NO center channel. Once these puppies are professionally calibrated and imaged the phantom center will best even the Meridian center channel which I felt was in NO way the equal of the 8000SE big boys! The players and MERIDIAN 861 v.8 pre/pro will be set to NO CENTER and equally distribute the signal to the left and right front channels....and I'll basically have 4 subs front and rear.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. This arrived moments ago.

Unfortunately, it's intended as my Christmas gift from my wife, so I have to wrap it and put it under the tree instead of spending the rest of the day rewiring stuff.

Don’t know if my wife is as excited as I am about the gift, but I can tell you the UPS driver was very happy for me.

Attachments

• 4700H.JPG
    4700H.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks again to everyone for the advice. This arrived moments ago.

Unfortunately, it's intended as my Christmas gift from my wife, so I have to wrap it and put it under the tree instead of spending the rest of the day rewiring stuff.

Don’t know if my wife is as excited as I am about the gift, but I can tell you the UPS driver was very happy for me.
I have the same one! You'll love it! My thoughts on the 2 Atmos speakers...I got a small pair that were the same brand (supposed to match my floorstander tweeter timbre) and did the approx. 3' in front of my seat, in line with the front floorstanders. I didn't have enough room to do 4 (even though our receiver won't do 4 anyway) due to the proximity of the rear speakers I have, which are also currently elevated. This was my compromise. I understand the potential issue with some of the Atmos channel distributions, but I did the best with what I had. I think it sounds great, but that is my perspective. I honestly don't think you will know better (I know I don't) if things were mixed for 4 speakers or 2, because you will be amazed by the Atmos itself. Good luck however you decide to install.

I have the same one! You'll love it! My thoughts on the 2 Atmos speakers...I got a small pair that were the same brand (supposed to match my floorstander tweeter timbre) and did the approx. 3' in front of my seat, in line with the front floorstanders. I didn't have enough room to do 4 (even though our receiver won't do 4 anyway) due to the proximity of the rear speakers I have, which are also currently elevated. This was my compromise. I understand the potential issue with some of the Atmos channel distributions, but I did the best with what I had. I think it sounds great, but that is my perspective. I honestly don't think you will know better (I know I don't) if things were mixed for 4 speakers or 2, because you will be amazed by the Atmos itself. Good luck however you decide to install.
Thanks! After reading the advice here and taking a step back to let all the info soak in, I’m not going to put pressure on myself to get it right the first time. With the heights not fixed into the ceiling, I can try things multiple ways temporarily before committing. And knowing myself, it wouldn’t surprise me if I get a pre-amp and two more speakers by this time next year.

I have a 5.2.2 system with middle heights above the listener that are ceiling speakers. I also just put together a 7.2.4 system that I spent about one quarter per channel as the first in a different house. The rooms are quite different. The first has no room behind the sweet spot and it's a little wider than it is deep. The second system is twice as deep as it is wide and the four heights are mounted on the wall just below the ceiling. After about two months, I've come to the opinion that while a few mixes that really require speakers behind the sweet spot (Kraftwerk in particular is MUCH better), middle heights usually work pretty well. So, I recommend aiming for 7.2.2 before worrying about two more heights. If you can't do two overhead then I'd go with just the two in front.

I have a 5.2.2 system with middle heights above the listener that are ceiling speakers. I also just put together a 7.2.4 system that I spent about one quarter per channel as the first in a different house. The rooms are quite different. The first has no room behind the sweet spot and it's a little wider than it is deep. The second system is twice as deep as it is wide and the four heights are mounted on the wall just below the ceiling. After about two months, I've come to the opinion that while a few mixes that really require speakers behind the sweet spot (Kraftwerk in particular is MUCH better), middle heights usually work pretty well. So, I recommend aiming for 7.2.2 before worrying about two more heights. If you can't do two overhead then I'd go with just the two in front.
Thanks... appreciate it!

The Kraftwerk 3D Catalogue was one of the first Atmos titles I streamed when I signed up for Apple Music. I probably read about it here when I was a lurker.

I was familiar with the band name, but never heard any of their music. That was quite an introduction to Atmos. I’ve toyed with actually buying the set, but there always seems to be something else I want more.

Back