Which albums would you like to hear in 5.1 surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave Grusin - Discovered Again [Sheffield]

That is one title for which a true surround mix is impossible.
As a Sheffield direct disc, it was recorded live to two-track tape and a cutting lathe. There is no multitrack tape. Similarly for 1981’s Mountain Dance, recorded “direct to digital” (two-track).

All probably been said before by others; this includes some as yet unreissued quad versions. Keep in mind that for most groups mentioned here, other albums (that haven't had multichannel releases) besides the ones mentioned would be welcome as well. I'm also aware of the problems for specific records (e.g. Yes' Going For the One has missing multitrack tapes, Animals being announced by AP in 2018, and now unacknowledged, etc), but this is a WISH List after all:

Roxy Music - Avalon
Pink Floyd: Animals; The Wall (!!!!)
Roger Waters - Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking
Steely Dan - Aja !!! ...(and all the LP-released quad titles)
Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
10 CC - The Original Soundtrack
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
Yes - Going For the One
ELP - Works I
John Lennon - Walls And Bridges
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness And Eternity [both nights complete while they're at it!]
Focus - Moving Waves
Steve Miller - The Joker
Hayward/Lodge - Blue Jays
Mountain - Flowers Of Evil
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly
Hot Tuna - Yellow Fever
Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark; Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Modern Jazz Quartet - Plastic Dreams
Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards
Satana - Caravanserai, Welcome...(and all the other LP-released quad titles)
Santana/McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation; Apostrophe
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri; Atem

Renaissance is being released in March by Esoteric with a 5.1 mix 👍

"Zounds! What Sounds!" Dean Elliott and His Swinging Big, Big Band
IMG_0271.JPG

THE BEATLES REVOLVER [1CD+1DVD] AUDIOPHILE MASTER COLLECTION vol.7 . get it on e bay
Does this really come with a DVD-Audio disc or is it just a regular DVD? How does the surround mix sound? I guess it is an Upmix or created with the Rockband stems.

Any Crusaders, Ronnie Laws, Grover Washington"s Mister Magic, Steely Dan's Can't buy a Thrill, any Kansas!!!

I prefer all 3 of them over a lot of surround mixers! :D

I don't think there's an example album that has been mixed by all 3 of these gentlemen. Not sure how to vote there...

We have Parsons vs Guthrie for DSOTM. Voting for Parsons there. Not really fair...
No one else ever remixed Atom Heart Mother after Parsons.
Brian Humphries isn't included on the list... So no vote for Wish You Were Here between him and Guthrie? Voting for Humphries.
Did Adrian Maben himself mix the quad Pompeii? (Either he did or there's a translation problem and statements like "I mixed" are supposed to be more like "I had mixed for me".)
Anyway, in Maben vs Jackson I'm voting for Maben. (Note that the current release of that remix had a severe mastering disaster though. Not fair once again.)

Everything else surround only has one mix.

I prefer all 3 of them over a lot of surround mixers! :D

I don't think there's an example album that has been mixed by all 3 of these gentlemen. Not sure how to vote there...

We have Parsons vs Guthrie for DSOTM. Voting for Parsons there. Not really fair...
No one else ever remixed Atom Heart Mother after Parsons.
Brian Humphries isn't included on the list... So no vote for Wish You Were Here between him and Guthrie? Voting for Humphries.
Did Adrian Maben himself mix the quad Pompeii? (Either he did or there's a translation problem and statements like "I mixed" are supposed to be more like "I had mixed for me".)
Anyway, in Maben vs Jackson I'm voting for Maben. (Note that the current release of that remix had a severe mastering disaster though. Not fair once again.)

Everything else surround only has one mix.
I have the partial fro Early Years Obfusc/action. Pompeii sounds fine to me. Maybe a little bright.
I've heard about this mastering issue. Was that only on the bid EY box set?

I have the partial fro Early Years Obfusc/action. Pompeii sounds fine to me. Maybe a little bright.
I've heard about this mastering issue. Was that only on the bid EY box set?
Every copy of the Meddle remix and Pompeii remix I've heard is ruined. Same on the reissued separate editions. Same on the stereo remixes of these and including Obscured By Clouds remix. Very apparent standout mistake vs the entire rest of the box set.
Pompeii is a special kind of destroyed with heavy noise reduction artifacts and then that screamin' treble blast.
I've seen plenty of comments from people who don't seem to notice the treble blast. I really don't know what to say there... Either someone's monitoring system is lo-fi or we just have to agree to disagree in the extreme.

I hear this treble hype often enough in CD editions. These items in the box got hit worse than average compared to that. There's almost no way this was intentional and not a mistake. What I hear makes me think that anyway. Maybe the people I disagree on with this think an awful lot of albums out there are muddy sounding?

Every copy of the Meddle remix and Pompeii remix I've heard is ruined. Same on the reissued separate editions. Same on the stereo remixes of these and including Obscured By Clouds remix. Very apparent standout mistake vs the entire rest of the box set.
Pompeii is a special kind of destroyed with heavy noise reduction artifacts and then that screamin' treble blast.
I've seen plenty of comments from people who don't seem to notice the treble blast. I really don't know what to say there... Either someone's monitoring system is lo-fi or we just have to agree to disagree in the extreme.

I hear this treble hype often enough in CD editions. These items in the box got hit worse than average compared to that. There's almost no way this was intentional and not a mistake. What I hear makes me think that anyway. Maybe the people I disagree on with this think an awful lot of albums out there are muddy sounding?
Not exactly the yes or no answer I asked for but very concise...NOT

The only issue I have with the Meddle 5.1 is on the song "One Of These Days", there's a huge volume drop when the drums enter after the section where the bass bounces around the room.

Back