Which Do your ears find to be the sweeter ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezzalavell

QQ Supporter
I am ripping all my Blurays to flac. I have 64 year old ears .
When I have the option of either DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD , which one do I rip ?
I do not want to A/B both formats would like rip the one which across all genres provides the best overall sound . Difficult Yes / No ?
Please anyone let me know your thoughts . really would appreciate it!

When I have the option of either DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD , which one do I rip ?
I do not want to A/B both formats would like rip the one which across all genres provides the best overall sound . Difficult Yes / No ?
Theoretically it shouldant matter as both formats are lossless. You should not be able to discern a difference between the two due to the format alone. That being said, it is possible to have mastering differences, and occasionally somone will announce that they believe one sounds better. But its not somethng that will be valid in all cases.

Personally, i do not hear these differences. When ripping, I go for the LPCM first if available. Then the DTS.

I always rip DTS- HD Mstr. The reason is I feel it has a tiny bit better bottom end, a little fuller sounding. I am like you @tezzalavell in the fact I don't want to have to listen to both to make a decision, so a long time ago I made my choice and I have just stuck with it.
All that said, when following QQ every once in awhile a member will say they think the Dolby Tru HD is better, but I just stay with what I did.
When ripping for Atmos you have to pick the TRU HD.
All my BD rips play back with various Bit rates, Compression/File type always FLAC and signal will be PCM, I am sure this is universal for most?

I always rip DTS- HD Mstr. The reason is I feel it has a tiny bit better bottom end, a little fuller sounding. I am like you @tezzalavell in the fact I don't want to have to listen to both to make a decision, so a long time ago I made my choice and I have just stuck with it.
All that said, when following QQ every once in awhile a member will say they think the Dolby Tru HD is better, but I just stay with what I did.
When ripping for Atmos you have to pick the TRU HD.
All my BD rips play back with various Bit rates, Compression/File type always FLAC and signal will be PCM, I am sure this is universal for most?
Thx for your input I have always ripped DTS in the past , obviously with Dolby atmos I get the extra 2 channels to decide to do with what i want so hence my reasoning . I also think DTS gives a bit more bottom . Cheers

Those formats are both lossless. DTS-MA, True-HD, and the master FLAC files would perfectly null if they had the same program.

There's your hint! It turns out that there are sometimes mastering mistakes and mayhem with some of these releases. (Outrageously crude clumsy mistakes happen inexplicably often.) You might just want to check out all the audio streams even though they should be technically identical clones.

The decoded formats have the ability to reduce to a "core only" audio stream. That leads to being careful with settings when playing these natively or you will hear altered/compromised audio.

Atmos is still unreleased. The mkv and m4a container formats will preserve the encoding. You can only pass it through to a hardware device with the Atmos decoder codec hidden inside as a workaround. Otherwise you can only extract the core 7.1 channels from the file.

Those formats are both lossless. DTS-MA, True-HD, and the master FLAC files would perfectly null if they had the same program.

There's your hint! It turns out that there are sometimes mastering mistakes and mayhem with some of these releases. (Outrageously crude clumsy mistakes happen inexplicably often.) You might just want to check out all the audio streams even though they should be technically identical clones.

The decoded formats have the ability to reduce to a "core only" audio stream. That leads to being careful with settings when playing these natively or you will hear altered/compromised audio.

Atmos is still unreleased. The mkv and m4a container formats will preserve the encoding. You can only pass it through to a hardware device with the Atmos decoder codec hidden inside as a workaround. Otherwise you can only extract the core 7.1 channels from the file.
thx appreciate your comments

I myself prefer Dolby TrueHD because I go waaaay back with DVD-Audio (still possibly the best audio format ever) and that's what the MLP codec morphed into.

I myself prefer Dolby TrueHD because I go waaaay back with DVD-Audio (still possibly the best audio format ever) and that's what the MLP codec morphed into.
As far as I know MLP was Packed PCM. That's why I always choose PCM first. Technically it's the "purest" form.

@tezzalavell

What do you use to playback your FLACs? As you may also be able to convert to a file format that can hold the Atmos, TrueHD or DTS-HDMA stream (unconverted) to playback via your AVR as the original codec just like playing directly off your discs.

Advantage if you ever upgrade to an Atmos system in future as you’ll already have Atmos files.

@tezzalavell

What do you use to playback your FLACs? As you may also be able to convert to a file format that can hold the Atmos, TrueHD or DTS-HDMA stream (unconverted) to playback via your AVR as the original codec just like playing directly off your discs.

Advantage if you ever upgrade to an Atmos system in future as you’ll already have Atmos files.
Really ?? I plug my HDD in my Sony STR DN 1080

I plug my HDD in my Sony STR DN 1080

I just checked what file formats are supported and MKV and MKA are not listed. M4A is listed but it says AAC is the only codec. So looks like you can’t play Atmos files directly from your AVR. (you could try test files to check though).

You would need a media player with your USB drive. Connect the media player to your AVR vis HDMI.

I just checked what file formats are supported and MKV and MKA are not listed. M4A is listed but it says AAC is the only codec. So looks like you can’t play Atmos files directly from your AVR. (you could try test files to check though).

You would need a media player with your USB drive. Connect the media player to your AVR vis HDMI.
Thx for this. At least If I do upgrade I know its possible . Thx again for taking the time (y)

Back