Which NAS do list members prefer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However I did have one really big initial problem: the Sony/Synology combo never recognized DSD files. I posted asking for help on another forum and eventually someone posted the solution that even Synology tech help could not come up with:

Under the Synology Media Server -> DMA compatibility -> Enter custom mime type and add "dsf=audio/dsd,dff=audio/dsd" to the box.

Worked like a charm!

I have a Sony UHP-H1 which does exactly the same thing. I've amended the mime type in Jriver so it'll play through that, but it never occurred to me to do the same thing on the Synology NAS itself. I'm going to try this as soon as I get home

I have a QNAP. The recycle bin captures deleted files regardless of what system deleted them. It came that way by default. I didn't have to set it up at all.
Thanks. That gives me hope that the problem is just me and can therefore be fixed!

Last edited:
I have a technical question. I didn't want to start a whole new thread and this thread seemed the closest fit, hope that's ok.

Recycle bin on NAS - it's there but not working?

I've just got my first NAS. A Synology. When I delete things they still get permanently deleted instead of going into the recycle bin.

I have set up a folder and ticked the option to create a Recycle Bin on the folder. I have connected to that folder from my PC and can read/write files and folders. I can also see the '$recycle' folder. But when I delete a file, I get the usual message you get over a network 'are you sure you want to delete this permanently?' and the file is deleted permanently and not placed in the recycle bin. (If I delete a file within the NAS management s/w, the file is put in the recycle bin.)

I was hoping to use the NAS just like it was an extra large hard drive on my PC, but I'd like a recycle bin to feel a bit safer. I'm pretty organised but mistakes do happen!

Is this working as expected or is there something I can do to get the recycle bin working over the network? I'd got the impression that the NAS s/w would allow it, seeing as there is an option to create a recycle bin.
I think it depends on the implementation of Samba on the underlying OS. On my OpenMediaVault, it has to be activated on each share. The files/folders are moved in the .recycle folder at the base of the share, the folder structure is preserved and the files folders are automatically deleted after a predetermined amount of time.

1636728076344.png

I think it depends on the implementation of Samba on the underlying OS. On my OpenMediaVault, it has to be activated on each share. The files/folders are moved in the .recycle folder at the base of the share, the folder structure is preserved and the files folders are automatically deleted after a predetermined amount of time.

Thanks. Synology has something similar. You turn on recycle bin for each share, but the housekeep rules for emptying the wastebaskets are global. It all seemed so simple and I just expected it to work. (I've tried searching the web, but I can only find instructions on how to set it up, which of course I've already done and checked. Though presumably there's something somewhere I've not got right.)

I have a Synology NAS and the recycle bin just appeared after set-up, I haven't modified anything, but it appears under the NAS Root.

I just coped a file, then when I delete it, it says do you want to delete permanently as well, I hit OK, and then it sticks it in Root #recycle but as it was in the Data folder originally it created a new folder called Data in #recycle and put it in there. If you look at Root #recycle is your file there under a folder?

What an annoying problem. Just a thought . . . are you logged in as an admin or ordinary user?
This Synology help topic describes some awful complication about restricting recycle bin permissions to administrators only (why?).

https://kb.synology.com/en-au/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_share_recycle?version=6
If that doesn't help, I recall there's some other Synology non-sense about deletions from top level folders don't got to the bin (and there are different rules for folders compared to files). Not really an answer for you but perhaps a line of investigation that might bear fruit.

I have a Sony UHP-H1 which does exactly the same thing. I've amended the mime type in Jriver so it'll play through that, but it never occurred to me to do the same thing on the Synology NAS itself. I'm going to try this as soon as I get home

And it's only just gone and worked. Fantastic

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it. Knowing that it worked for others gave me the encouragement to keep trying!

I have a Synology NAS and the recycle bin just appeared after set-up, I haven't modified anything, but it appears under the NAS Root.

I just coped a file, then when I delete it, it says do you want to delete permanently as well, I hit OK, and then it sticks it in Root #recycle but as it was in the Data folder originally it created a new folder called Data in #recycle and put it in there. If you look at Root #recycle is your file there under a folder?

It is working now. I don't know what I'm doing differently. I have found that if you delete an empty folder, that does not go in the bin. So I suspect I initially tested by creating a new folder, pressed delete, got the warning, tried actually deleting, checked the recycle bin and it wasn't there. After that, maybe I didn't try actually deleting anything i.e. I just stopped at the warning. (I still don't like that it gives a warning that I have to ignore. Doesn't seem like a good idea to get used to ignoring a warning like that. But I suppose Windows is correct, it doesn't realise that the NAS OS is going to save the files.)

What an annoying problem. Just a thought . . . are you logged in as an admin or ordinary user?

This Synology help topic describes some awful complication about restricting recycle bin permissions to administrators only (why?).
https://kb.synology.com/en-au/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_share_recycle?version=6
If that doesn't help, I recall there's some other Synology non-sense about deletions from top level folders don't got to the bin (and there are different rules for folders compared to files). Not really an answer for you but perhaps a line of investigation that might bear fruit.

I am logged in as ordinary. Yes, there is an option to have recycle bin for admins only, but I have it for all users. (When searching for a solution I did find an admin who was mystified that a 16TB user share was full, until he discovered that the recycle bin had 15.5Tb of data in it that the user hadn't cleared out, so I suppose that's why they have that option.)

Thanks again. I can now begin ripping the pile discs I have bought recently!

It is working now. I don't know what I'm doing differently. I have found that if you delete an empty folder, that does not go in the bin. So I suspect I initially tested by creating a new folder, pressed delete, got the warning, tried actually deleting, checked the recycle bin and it wasn't there. After that, maybe I didn't try actually deleting anything i.e. I just stopped at the warning. (I still don't like that it gives a warning that I have to ignore. Doesn't seem like a good idea to get used to ignoring a warning like that. But I suppose Windows is correct, it doesn't realise that the NAS OS is going to save the files.)
That warning has saved me from making a mistake more than once.
It makes sense that it doesn't recycle an empty folder. There is nothing there of any importance.

I am going to start ripping a lot of discs and I wonder if there are any strong preferences for the different flavors of NAS.

I happen to be a non Apple zone. Comfortable with PC/Win and Android.
At work we have lots of Buffalo Terastations , with the backup set in another building on the campus .

They work well and are easily managed .

At home , I took the cheaper option of just using external drives ( always G-Raid FW800 enclosures , which hang off my various MacPro towers - the computers are all on my gigabit Ethernet and I can see any drive from any computer . On my 12 core MP 5,1 which I use for video editing , I have two G-Speed ES 16Tb drives on an eSata card ; these are for live projects and I have several FW800 8Tb enclosures for archiving to . My older 8 core MP 3,1 is used for photography , and I have two 4core machines one for music and the last one for downloading movies and random other stuff .

These are all old machines that were updated at work and became mine for nominal sums . All are the ‘pre-trashcan’ towers which are much more flexible .

What is a "pre-trashcan" tower?
Any Mac Pro tower prior to the 'trashcan' model which came out in 2013 and ran up to 2019 , when the horrendously expensive new Mac Pros came out : just for a laugh , I configured one on the Apple website , with every option and it was around seventy grand !!! That's Pounds , not Dollars .

See link below , the machines I have are all between 2008 and 2012 , although I do also have a 2004 Powermac G5 , which looks very similar , and a number of MacBooks and MacBook Pros as well .

https://www.thebookyard.com/apple-mac-pro-parts.php

Any Mac Pro tower prior to the 'trashcan' model which came out in 2013 and ran up to 2019 , when the horrendously expensive new Mac Pros came out : just for a laugh , I configured one on the Apple website , with every option and it was around seventy grand !!! That's Pounds , not Dollars .

See link below , the machines I have are all between 2008 and 2012 , although I do also have a 2004 Powermac G5 , which looks very similar , and a number of MacBooks and MacBook Pros as well .

https://www.thebookyard.com/apple-mac-pro-parts.php
I see. So it actually looks like a trash can

Late to this conversation - built an Unraid server here … can’t recommend it enough, support/stability/performance have all been great. Anyone running Roon on Unraid? I’m about to go through a process of ripping all my media and hosting it on my Unraid server … I’d like to use Roon to ‘serve’ it all up …

I currently use PLEX to host all my other media.

The other consideration (for me) is backup … I use Duplicati for local backups and am able to FTP/Rsync important data to a friends Unraid server remotely.

I’ll start a new Unraid/Roon thread … 😀

Attachments

• A37ED53F-F7DD-4B2E-AE42-9B5D737D467D.jpeg
    A37ED53F-F7DD-4B2E-AE42-9B5D737D467D.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 63
  • B08BAB88-281F-4661-89AB-BAEEB0D90745.jpeg
    B08BAB88-281F-4661-89AB-BAEEB0D90745.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
This thread is a good read and thanks to all of the posts, I'm now a bit further along the road of getting a NAS for all my BD/4K movies.

At this stage, I'm thinking a Synology NAS to Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I haven't used any of these so it'll be a big learn but the main thing that's stopping me is the cost of drive space here in NZ as my initial calculations are that I might need around 80TB to accomplish a pair and a spare which is thousands of dollars - I gots lots of movies and the library will only be added to.

I'm holding off for now and so far, haven't experienced any disc failures. All my music is backed up on 3 HDDs (a pair and a spare) and play through my Sony X800 which is very basic and works fine for me but if/when the NAS happens, the music will probably get added to it.

Thanks for all of the questions and answers everyone!

This thread is a good read and thanks to all of the posts, I'm now a bit further along the road of getting a NAS for all my BD/4K movies.

At this stage, I'm thinking a Synology NAS to Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I haven't used any of these so it'll be a big learn but the main thing that's stopping me is the cost of drive space here in NZ as my initial calculations are that I might need around 80TB to accomplish a pair and a spare which is thousands of dollars - I gots lots of movies and the library will only be added to.

I'm holding off for now and so far, haven't experienced any disc failures. All my music is backed up on 3 HDDs (a pair and a spare) and play through my Sony X800 which is very basic and works fine for me but if/when the NAS happens, the music will probably get added to it.

Thanks for all of the questions and answers everyone!
I currently have 18 x 4TB drives for my 4K movies. I use 9 of them for playing the movies back and the other 9 are backups of all the movies that are on that 9. These 9 drives do not get played. They sit in their boxes as backups. I have a spreadsheet with the movie listing and the 2 drives where each movie resides (the playback and the back-up drives). The spreadsheet also tells me the average size of the movies and how many more movies I have space for. So the average movie is around 60 GB taking into account all 468 4K movies that I currently have (so 936 movies total when including the backups). I have noticed that the average size seems to be increasing though. A lot are over 80 GB lately. These are all movies extracted directly from the original disc at 100% of their original quality. They are also kept in their original M2TS format. When i want to watch a movie I just look at the spreadsheet to see which one of the 9 playback drives contains that movie and then I just plug that drive into the Sony X800 and play the movie back that way. Doesn't take all that much time and the 9 backup drives are not plugged in and spinning all the time which hopefully will make them last longer. The 18 drives cost around $2200. When they are totally full I should have around 550 movies. So each movie costs around $4 to put on the drive ($2 for the playback copy and $2 for the backup copy).

Last edited:
I currently have 18 x 4TB drives for my 4K movies. I use 9 of them for playing the movies back and the other 9 are backups of all the movies that are on that 9. These 9 drives do not get played. They sit in their boxes as backups. I have a spreadsheet with the movie listing and the 2 drives where each movie resides (the playback and the back-up drives). The spreadsheet also tells me the average size of the movies and how many more movies I have space for. So the average movie is around 60 GB taking into account all 468 4K movies that I currently have (so 936 movies total). I have noticed that the average size seems to be increasing though. A lot are over 80 GB lately. These are all movies extracted directly from the original disc at 100% of their original quality. They are also kept in their original M2TS format. When i want to watch a movie I just look at the spreadsheet to see which one of the 9 playback drives contains that movie and then I just plug that drive into the Sony X800 and play the movie back that way. Doesn't take all that much time and the 9 backup drives are not plugged in and spinning all the time which hopefully will make them last longer. The 18 drives cost around $2200. When they are totally full I should have around 550 movies. So each movie costs around $4 to put on the drive ($2 for the playback copy and $2 for the backup copy).
Thanks Guy, this is superb info! I considered doing it this way originally but thought it'd be a pain with all of the separate drives but seeing as how it works for you, I'm keen to give it a go.

Great to hear about the amount of space that 4K movies take up too. Without MKVing them all, it's hard to know how much space they'll take up so I guesstimated 50GB per disc which is more than required but always better to have something and not need it than the other way around.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Did you have to do anything to your 4TB drives to enable your Sony X800 to read them? I thought that there was a 2TB limit to what the X800 could read (all my HDD's are 2TB) and that you had to do something (partition it or something else that I've never done before) to a 4TB drive first to enable the X800 to read it.

2. Do you ever notice any movie playback issues (e.g., any frame stuttering/missing frames/slight pauses) when playing from a HDD via the X800?

Thanks Guy, this is superb info! I considered doing it this way originally but thought it'd be a pain with all of the separate drives but seeing as how it works for you, I'm keen to give it a go.

Great to hear about the amount of space that 4K movies take up too. Without MKVing them all, it's hard to know how much space they'll take up so I guesstimated 50GB per disc which is more than required but always better to have something and not need it than the other way around.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Did you have to do anything to your 4TB drives to enable your Sony X800 to read them? I thought that there was a 2TB limit to what the X800 could read (all my HDD's are 2TB) and that you had to do something (partition it or something else that I've never done before) to a 4TB drive first to enable the X800 to read it.

2. Do you ever notice any movie playback issues (e.g., any frame stuttering/missing frames/slight pauses) when playing from a HDD via the X800?

1. I just have them formatted as GPT/exFat. I think they may actually come that way. No problem reading the 4TB size. Also because there are only around 60 x 4k movies on a 4TB drive is isn't much trouble navigating the drive either. I just buy two 4TB drives every time I have to expand. So the cost is not all at once. If one does crash I only have 4TB's to restore onto a new drive although this has not happened as yet. I can't imagine having to restore a 12TB drive. I think the 4TB size is perfect.
2. No stuttering or missing frames. It's just like playing the original disc. The reason I keep the file as M2TS is because the X800 has issues with subtitles on mkv files. The subtitles work on M2TS files. There are no chapter marks on either format when played back on the X800. I have had a drive freeze periodically, however, that freezing also happens periodically when also playing original discs so I don't think it has anything to do with using a hard drive. You just have to reboot the X800 and fast forward to where it crashed and continue the movie. Here is an example of the spreadsheet. The beginning few lines.
MoviePlayback DriveSize (GB)File TypeBack-Up Drive #
13 Hours - The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi180.6M2TS3

1. I just have them formatted as GPT/exFat. I think they may actually come that way. No problem reading the 4TB size. Also because there are only around 60 x 4k movies on a 4TB drive is isn't much trouble navigating the drive either. I just buy two 4TB drives every time I have to expand. So the cost is not all at once. If one does crash I only have 4TB's to restore onto a new drive although this has not happened as yet. I can't imagine having to restore a 12TB drive. I think the 4TB size is perfect.
2. No stuttering or missing frames. It's just like playing the original disc. The reason I keep the file as M2TS is because the X800 has issues with subtitles on mkv files. The subtitles work on M2TS files. There are no chapter marks on either format when played back on the X800. I have had a drive freeze periodically, however, that freezing also happens periodically when also playing original discs so I don't think it has anything to do with using a hard drive. You just have to reboot the X800 and fast forward to where it crashed and continue the movie. Here is an example of the spreadsheet. The beginning few lines.
MoviePlayback DriveSize (GB)File TypeBack-Up Drive #
13 Hours - The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi180.6M2TS3
Thanks Guy for all your help. Yeah, I've noticed the X800 throw the toys on 4K discs sometimes, usually when I stop the movie a few times rather than just letting it play.

Good to know about the M2TS files containing everything like subtitles - mission critical on non-English flicks!

I think my next steps will be to M2TS the next flick I watch, put it on a 2TB HDD and give it a spin via the X800. If all good, then I'll purchase a 4TB HDD to see if that works. If that behaves, then I'll see what sort of deal I can get on 15 x 4TB HDDs :eek:. Gotta get a new flashed BD drive to rip my 4K discs too.

QQ to the rescue again!

If you use a NAS you can use RAID to a duplicate of each file with 3 drives. So 3 drives in RAID are equivalent to 4 stand-alone drives if using 2 ‘masters’ and 2 backups (one backup per drive).

Back