Which quad mix for Boulez?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinD9052

Since 2002/2003
I'm on the fence about the DV Boulez conducts Bartok- Concerto For Orchestra disk. Has anyone ordered & heard it yet? I had the SQ album. It had a good surround mix but a bad pressing. Lots of ticks & pops. A really noisy disk! When Columbia (Sony?) issued the SACD disk a few years back I assumed the mix would be intact. But it wasn't. They remixed it to orchestra up front and ambience in the rear. Yet the cover had the same full surround mix graphics as the SQ album with a write up describing same. Ticked me off as being false advertising. I got burned on that one. And a little wary now. DV indicates the multichannel layer is from the 1970's quad mix. I assume that is the mix used for the SQ encode. And they have been good so far describing their disks. So I may take a chance in a week or so. If anyone knows otherwise please post me a note here. Thanks.

The Dutton one is the real quad mix, untampered with. I’ve compared it to both the SQ and the Q8. It sounds great!

If all you’ve heard is the the decoded SQ, you’re gonna be blown away. I got the Q8 a few months back and was really psyched up about it, but with this a whole other veil is lifted.

Last edited:
The Dutton one is the real quad mix, untampered with. I’ve compared it to both the SQ and the Q8. It sounds great!

If all you’ve heard is the the decoded SQ, you’re gonna be blown away. I got the Q8 a few months back and was really psyched up about it, but with this a whole other veil is lifted.
Thanks for the quick reply, SJ. Definitely ordering it now. And your avatar! Where have I seen that before?

Back