Which songs / music, makes you cry ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about any song by Enya. Also the soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in the West. Enno Morricone at his best. If you want to be happy then any Spike Jones title.
Phil.

"Louise" written by Paul Siebel performed by Leo Kottke (and Bonnie Raitt among others) - originally on "Greenhouse" but the definitive version is on "My Feet Are Smiling" - gets me every time.

i just watched The Raven That Refused To Sing and it is strong but reminds me forcefully of its opposite counterpart, the Frederick Back animation (one man working alone in this hand drawn Oscar winning animation) of The Man Who Planted Trees. Its also about one man working alone who refuses to give up after a grievous loss and what can still be accomplished. Its not exactly a song but it is poetry. (especially with Christopher Plummer doing the narration.)

I'd recommend it to anyone who needs inspiration.

30 minutes you will not ever forget.

The last line still gets me everytime. (especially as a former forest ranger/tree planter)

Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_7yEPNUXsU

Kenny the sappy canuck

Last edited:
The Late, Great Johnny Ace (live in Central Park) - Paul Simon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhBvh1cwA0w
119681_2_f.jpg

Original version on Hearts and Bones. One of his best albums, although it sold poorly.
Paul+Simon+-+Hearts+And+Bones.jpg
Every song we played that night was for the late, great Johnny Ace.

Now that you mention Iris Dement...yes, that's pretty stark, dark stuff, cuts right to the heart of the matters. "My Life" was the kind of country single that scared country radio away, listeners following, because unlike a piece of crap like "Honey" it was REAL--no messing around with this woman. John Denver could be like that, too, and I think that bothered folks seduced by "Take Me Home, Country Roads" and "Thank God I'm (not) a Country Boy." Denver may have seemed slightly silly, addled and stoned, but underneath, like Roger Miller, he harbored some serious, depressive demons. So do a lot of guys who smile too much, me suspects.

ED :)

I love Iris DeMent. Was lucky enough to hear her play in my little town not long after the 2016 election. She brought a lot of peace and consolation and humor and humanity. "Let The Mystery Be" is one my favorite songs of hers, and Mix just did a feature on it. More sublime than jear-terk, I guess. (Infamous Angel would sound great in surround, by the way.)

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/classic-tracks/classic-tracks-let-the-mystery-be

Last edited:
For Someone Special - Doobie Brothers: Their best track.
View attachment 9822
It's supposed to be about Alexander "Skip" Spence of Moby Grape and Jefferson Airplane, who discovered them.

To further break it down, it’s the high voices that bring the rush, coming in at 3:57 after the quiet section. Just amazing emotion pours from that music. Thanks for reminding me of this one QL!!

I’ve posted this before, this one always does it for me.
Stevie Ray Vaughan “Riviera Paradise”. Stevie plays with such feeling you can almost feel the emotions coming from the speakers. Such a talent lost way too early.

Back