Which songs / music, makes you cry ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody would ever think of Walter Becker as a sentimentalist, and I'm not either. But the two songs that bookend his first solo album, 11 Tracks of Whack, always get me:

"Surf and/or Die," an elegy for a friend who died in a hang-gliding accident:

And "Little Kawai," a wry love song to his then young son:

Last edited:
I’ve posted this before, this one always does it for me.
Stevie Ray Vaughan “Riviera Paradise”. Stevie plays with such feeling you can almost feel the emotions coming from the speakers. Such a talent lost way too early.

totally agree. Stevie ---the man had so much natural talent and played with emotion. No corporate sell out. It was just all about the music. I miss Stevie

well. it doesn't make me cry. but it IS about crying. The guitar solo is cryable good and is that a young Dennis Rodman on the kit ?

Last edited:
To a Child - Laura Nyro (original version on Mother's Spiritual) - Laura Nyro
I took 6 months off when my second child, My Daughter Emily was born. I'd play this and cry with joy. She was named Emily for the Laura Nyro song Emmie from Eli & the Thirteenth Confession and Simon & Garfunkel's For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her, from Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme.

To a Child w/a great video montage:
View attachment 9706

Emmie w/a great video montage:
There are two SPECTACULAR unreleased Quad mixes of this album on the Mike Robin reels.View attachment 9707

For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her (Live):
View attachment 9708

Another tune that touches me and makes me cry is The Circle Game - Joni Mitchell from Ladies of the Canyon. Her best album, IMHO.
The Circle Game Live (audio) at Carnegie Hall:
View attachment 9709

There are so many Joni songs that get me close. I'd go with The Last Time I Saw Richard.

Nothing Compares To U-Sinead O'Connor.
I was recently moved out from my first wife, not divorced yet, living in a downstairs little ding of a space. 1989, had MTV on the tele while I cooked my breakfast, not looking at the TV. All of a sudden I hear this song, turned around, sat in front of TV and just got floored.
Only song I can think of, I am one of those who tends to hear the music better than the lyrics.

In recent years---

The Apartments - Twenty One

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Garth Brooks - The Dance

Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up

Back