Quad LP/Tape Poll White, Michael: The Land of Spirit and Light [QS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "The Land of Spirit and Light"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters
I'm a little shocked that this guy's Quad releases have been pretty much ignored here on the forum. Nothing in either of his 70's Quads have a vote in the Polls.

Let's change that; because this is some nice Quad music!

I just finished a conversion of this one from a CD source (the LPs are getting ridiculously expensive) and I'm sure they're probably single source as the demod. came out really nice. I could tell by the flow of wav channels streaming-by in Audition as I recorded this in, that there was interesting stuff happening (you guys that do this kind of conversion probably know what I mean.)

IMO, the music is a nice blend of Afro-Latin Jazz that reminds me a little of stuff like Return to forever, Jean-Luc Ponty (Michael White is mainly a Violin player) and even some Santana. There're are lots of things going on in the rear channels like Chimes, Bells, shimmering Cymbals, Steel Drums and other percussion etc. Considerable amount of dynamics in this music as well; one example is a very faint sounding last note of a Triangle after a short pause on the end of the song "Fatima's Garden." I would have liked the very active Bass guitar to have a little more "presence", maybe a little EQ adjustment for it, but as it's got a wide range of tonality it would be hard to pin down.

I was actually pleasantly pleased by the mix for an Impulse! release (via Baker Bigsby/Ed Michel IINM.)

So you cats with some kind of "Secret Demodulator Ring" (I recommend the Involve Surround Master, v2 or v3) please find these titles and give 'em a go, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. I just ordered his other Quad in LP form, so looking forward to that one as well 😋

I'm going with a 9 on this one.

MICHAEL WHITE TLAOSAL.jpg

I can't find this one for under $80, so ima live vicariously through your review, but i did score Father Music, Mother Dance just now! Looking forward to that one! Thanks for the head's up, Sir Pupster!

Back