White Witch a new Magenta album with Orchestra (not surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
https://www.tigermothshop.co.uk/store/Magenta-The-White-Witch-A-Symphonic-Trilogy-p492733047
An orchestral album (with no surround mix :( )

1664403255682.png

Magenta's brand new, and long awaited, 9th studio album sees a major change in direction from past works. A fully orchestrated affair with no drums or bass anywhere to be found (sorry Dan and Jiffy :) ) with Christina, like a fine wine, getting better with age and really gelling gloriously with the music. Chris Fry provides a classical guitar clinic which certainly augments the overall lush sound and that brings us to Robert Reed. While composers like Hans Zimmer, John Williams and Howard Shore are at the forefront of modern day film music scores, Rob succeeds in producing, arranging and adapting Magenta's unique sound so that he stands alongside some of the greatest composers of the modern era.

'White Witch - A Symphonic Trilogy' will take you on a musical exploration the likes of which you've never experienced.

Track Listing

Part I - Sacrifice
Part II - Retribution
Part III - Survival

Orchestral arrangement by Robert Reed

Christina Booth - vocal
Chris Fry - classical guitar
Les Penning - story teller

Featured soloists
Katie Axelsen - flute
Sam Baxster - oboe

I went with my brother and met up with svengaleekie when Magenta played in Cardiff a few weeks ago, we had a chat with Rob. If I remember correctly, he said he'd almost finished the surround mix of the album, but it would only be available to buy as a 5.1 flac file. The new album is excellent, the orchestration works really well, Rob Reed is very talented.

I went with my brother and met up with svengaleekie when Magenta played in Cardiff a few weeks ago, we had a chat with Rob. If I remember correctly, he said he'd almost finished the surround mix of the album, but it would only be available to buy as a 5.1 flac file. The new album is excellent, the orchestration works really well, Rob Reed is very talented.
@sjcorne, may I presume it will show up on IAA one of these days?

Phew, thanks Duncan.
Glad to see that Rob R. has not given up on 5.1 as his music is so layered and Rob's mixes are fantastic.

I almost didn't buy it as there is no surround, but I relented. On first listen, I was unsure. But no, this is great!
I wish he/Magenta had some kind of email newsletter though, to keep people up to date. I completely missed the recent live release. I tried to buy it elsewhere, but it's now completely unavailable. :(

I almost didn't buy it as there is no surround, but I relented. On first listen, I was unsure. But no, this is great!
I wish he/Magenta had some kind of email newsletter though, to keep people up to date. I completely missed the recent live release. I tried to buy it elsewhere, but it's now completely unavailable. :(
Try Bandcamp - I get emails fairly regulary. Which live release do you mean?

Try Bandcamp - I get emails fairly regulary. Which live release do you mean?
Angels & Damned - 20th Ann show, which came out in May 2021.

Unfortunately Bandcamp only have it for digital download (which I also imagine is not 5.1). I'm not all that interested in digital downloads, which is why I haven't subscribed to Bandcamp.

I was able to see it on Tigermoth, but interestingly it's now been removed altogether. I contacted them via their 'Contact Us' expressing disappointment (nicely, of course) and asking about a newsletter for releases, but they never responded. I did successfully order from Amazon, but that then was cancelled and removed from the Amazon page about the album, leaving only one copy there at an exorbitant price from a seller with a low rating.

Last edited:
Back