Who are your favorite Canadian musical artists and what would you like to see them release in Multi-Channel form?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course Joni. Her whole collection would be nice. Maybe a few of Neil's albums would be okay.

Lots of current talent that I love, including Whitehorse and Kathleen Edwards. Kathleen's new album is really good, btw.

Someone mentioned Klaatu. I'm for that as well as Cano, another lost band from the 70s.

Big Sugar put out a dub album that is really cool, and would sound GROOVY mixed in surround

"Alkaline"

GJ has a youtube channel and isn't touring atm, maybe I'll see if I can put a bug in his ear

I always liked 500 LBS too, great songs & sounds

Big Sugar put out a dub album that is really cool, and would sound GROOVY mixed in surround

"Alkaline"

GJ has a youtube channel and isn't touring atm, maybe I'll see if I can put a bug in his ear

I always liked 500 LBS too, great songs & sounds

Alkaline was exactly the album I was thinking would make for a great surround mix!

How about the Canadian Hard Rockers!!! Helix :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :SB:SB:SB not laughing at the band, but check out these videos :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:......ouch my eyes .......oh man....love those old 80's Cock Rock, Titillating Videos 😍👌👍o_O:cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

&

Part of my dreams came true with Bryan Adams - Reckless (my favorite album) and Rush catalogue and some Devin Townsend albums.

I love Helix. I bought a DVD compilation some years ago directly from their webpage, but it's out of stock now. A curious disc with videos in 5.1 and stereo and no printed side but burned PAL in one side and NTSC in the other one.

I love Hard & Heavy music so I would add these bands to the list, some video compilation of Annihilator or Voivod. Or some of my favorite albums of them like Alice In Hell or Nothingface.

Voivod has a great "progressive thrash metal" era that would be perfect mixed in surround.

Last edited:
The Canadian artist I would most like to hear in Surround is Lorena McKennitt. Everything after The Visit would be a dream to hear. I have the DVD of Nights From Alhambra which claims a 5.1 mix, but the surrounds, while not crowd, are strictly atmospheric. Even as an atmospheric mix the music moves deep into the room.

Bruce Cockburn would be a delight to here in surround. Fifty
years of excellent, lively, playful, satyric, political and religious music with sometime simple melodies and at others challenging and even polyrhythmic make him a must. A Canadian treasure and a favorite of mine.

I would also love to here Sarah McGlachlan‘s Fumbling Towards Ecstasy and Surfacing. The other Canadian I would like to hear is Gordon Lightfoot. I would say Rush, but I am strictly a 2112 to Signals fan and they have effed that up.

Last edited:
The Canadian artist I would most like to hear in Surround is Lorena McKennitt. Everything after The Visit would be a dream to hear. I have the DVD of Nights From Alhambra which claims a 5.1 mix, but the surrounds, while not crowd, are strictly atmospheric. Even as an atmospheric mix the music moves deep into the room.

Bruce Cockburn would be a delight to here in surround. Fifty
years of excellent, lively, playful, satyric, political and religious music with sometime simple melodies and at others challenging and even polyrhythmic make him a must. A Canadian treasure and a favorite of mine.

I would also love to here Sarah McGlachlan‘s Fumbling Towards Ecstasy and Surfacing. The other Canadian I would like to hear is Gordon Lightfoot. I would say Rush, but I am strictly a 2112 to Signals fan and they have effed that up.
Gordon Lightfoot does have some quad out there. At least two albums; I wish there were more, but it is what it is. I thought "Gord's Gold" was being remixed for 5.1 DVD-Audio, but it never materialized.

I would do backflips for a surround mix of Whale Music by the Rheostatics! There’s a ton going on in there and songs like King of the Past, Self Serve Gas Station, etc., would be outrageous to hear opened up like that.

If you’re not familiar, they’re an acquired taste and this album took me a handful of listens but is now in my absolute top 5 favorites. Quirky, eclectic, with tons of personality and the inimitable guitar playing of Martin Tielli. And hey, Neil Peart makes a guest appearance as well as the Barenaked Ladies.

Would it even happen in surround? I doubt it... I’m still chasing down a copy of the limited vinyl run; it’s one of my holy grails.:D

A BIG one that we missed :
.....has plenty of notable albums that could use surround.
o_O LEONARD COHEN
Back in the 70s, if you were hosting a party (and this was a 70s "party", so sex, drugs, etc.) and wanted everyone to go home, you'd put on "Songs Of Leonard Cohen". It was quite effective; those who didn't leave at such a depressing record, tended to want to slit their wrists at such a mood downer.

I would do backflips for a surround mix of Whale Music by the Rheostatics! There’s a ton going on in there and songs like King of the Past, Self Serve Gas Station, etc., would be outrageous to hear opened up like that.

If you’re not familiar, they’re an acquired taste and this album took me a handful of listens but is now in my absolute top 5 favorites. Quirky, eclectic, with tons of personality and the inimitable guitar playing of Martin Tielli. And hey, Neil Peart makes a guest appearance as well as the Barenaked Ladies.

Would it even happen in surround? I doubt it... I’m still chasing down a copy of the limited vinyl run; it’s one of my holy grails.:D

Agree Strongly! Whale Music is fantastic and would be a fantastic album for a surround mix.

I am late to the party on this, so you have forced me to dig deep in my collection for this nearly forgotten gem:
The band is Coal, and the song is No Angel. They are from Vancouver. I think I heard their disc in a record store while I was there, and was compelled to pick it up. I think one could get a nice mix out of this. Oh yeah, and the CD is just called Coal.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/coal

Back