Who are your Top 5 Rock front Men or Women in Music History

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking "lead entity" as well. A singer is a natural fit for that of course. But it could be any instrument and with or without voice.

Really hard to argue with any of the posts here!

Sometimes the "frontman" for a band is their stage show. I wanted to mention something about Pink Floyd... so Storm Thorgerson?

I love Storm but wouldn't that be considered a "backdrop" since it's literally on a backdrop?

Interesting though that a backdrop could be a front entity.

John Lennon
Lee Ritenour
Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Brian Wilson
*Stevie Wonder
*Stephen Stills

Linda Ronstadt
Janis Joplin
Grace Slick
Joni Mitchell
Madonna
*Lady Gaga

*=Bonus

Madonna is an interesting topic in music...she's almost invisible when people talk about the top female artists...but the reality is she crushes every other female artist in sales....she is no friend of most critics either....they cite her voice as not being outstanding and attribute a lot of her success to her friends in the music business, which is absurd to me....you don't sell that many records and dominate the charts without having talent....I think a lot of negative impressions come from her real life sexual adventures/her tabloid lifestyle didn't sit well with the music critics...who viewed it as a less than serious approach to her musical endeavors...I didn't include her on my list because most of her music doesn't appeal to me...

I think its the idea of a "Front Man" that throws people off. Im not even sure DG would consider himself a front man.

Speaking of which, has Steven Tyler been nominated yet?
Yes I mentioned ST, in my 1st opening post. I agree with you on the DG nomination, I dont think that PF ever had a front man, they were all equal, the music & the visuals were the FRONT & CENTER of that group hands down. None of them were the SPOTLIGHT of the group, they were all equal until RW fucked things up. Scuse my French😀

Men:
1. Frank Zappa (Same)
2-(tie) Donald Fagen (Steely Dan)
2. (tie) David Clayton-Thomas (Blood, Sweat & Tears)
3. Terry Richards/G.G. Shin/Jim Peterik (Chase)
4. Terry Kath/Peter Cetera/Robert Lamm (Chicago)
5. Eric Woolfson/Colin Blunstone/other lead vocalists (Alan Parsons Project)
Bonus: Jim Morrison (The Doors) and Waters/Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Women:
1. Joni Mitchell (same)
2. Genya Ravan (Ten Wheel Drive)
3. Carole King (same)
4. Carly Simon (ditto)
5. Bonnie Raitt (ditto)

Bonus: Rickie Lee Jones

(I weight towards singers/front persons being good enough musicians to stand toe to toe with bands that probably ought to have been "instrumental" groups from the get-go. In this case, the order could be swapped around pretty easily. YMMV...)

No love yet for Tom Petty or Jeff Lynne, (and for northern fans) Geddy Lee, Burton Cummings, Gord Downie...

Burton Cummings is the best front man of all time. Just ask him...he will tell you so. LOL But if I spent serious time to make a list and thought about it, he'd likely make my top five on the men's side.

Burton Cummings is the best front man of all time. Just ask him...he will tell you so. LOL But if I spent serious time to make a list and thought about it, he'd likely make my top five on the men's side.

Who?...I had to consult my friend google to find out WHO he was...he should be at least be given the title of the Best Front Man that few talk about...taking care of business

Men:
1. Frank Zappa (Same)
2-(tie) Donald Fagen (Steely Dan)
2. (tie) David Clayton-Thomas (Blood, Sweat & Tears)
3. Terry Richards/G.G. Shin/Jim Peterik (Chase)
4. Terry Kath/Peter Cetera/Robert Lamm (Chicago)
5. Eric Woolfson/Colin Blunstone/other lead vocalists (Alan Parsons Project)
Bonus: Jim Morrison (The Doors) and Waters/Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Women:
1. Joni Mitchell (same)
2. Genya Ravan (Ten Wheel Drive)
3. Carole King (same)
4. Carly Simon (ditto)
5. Bonnie Raitt (ditto)

Bonus: Rickie Lee Jones

(I weight towards singers/front persons being good enough musicians to stand toe to toe with bands that probably ought to have been "instrumental" groups from the get-go. In this case, the order could be swapped around pretty easily. YMMV...)

Have you heard the duet with Genya Ravan and Ian Hunter (And one of Mick Ronson's greatest solo's too). This song was covered about 20 years later covered by Ian Hunters Daughter, Tracie and Def Leppard's Joe Elliot.

Back