Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of The Who - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this BluRay release from The Who, the complete album QUADROPHENIA. (Previously only available in a DVD-A containing only 8 of the tracks) (n):phones(y)

Attachments

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
For QQ members looking for this disc in stores, it comes in the usual "High Fidelity Pure Audio" clear Blu-ray packaging.

Attachments

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
For QQ members looking for this disc in stores, it comes in the usual "High Fidelity Pure Audio" clear Blu-ray packaging.
In stores? Not in the USA that's for sure.

Good to know they put it in the right case unlike the Lori L.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In stores? Not in the USA that's for sure.

Good to know they put it in the right case unlike the Lori L.
I know, it's dumb.. though there are QQ-ers outside the States who might go shopping for it and miss it if looking for a blue case.. and yes the Lori's in blue, I noticed you didn't care for her music, shame, excellent surround mix and lovely fidelity.. but I guess we should save all that for the respective Quadrophenia & Lori BD-A discussion threads, as we're in a Poll here and should stick to rating this particular disc and its contents for coherence & the sake of future visitors not having to trawl thru OT stuff, etc. :)

DennisMoore Jr.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I voted 10, because it is a 10. I love the mix, nice and discrete. Nothing to complain about at all, although I love the music, objectively, I think the mix is fabulous.
Quadrophenia (the original recording) doesn't have "room stretching" dynamic range like PF - DSOTM or WYWH. But if one compares the 2.0 mix to the 5.1 mix it is spectacular, lacking nothing, IMHO. This 5.1 issue I consider to be similar to EJ - Capt Fantastic: a must have 5.1.

d0zer

The content is of course a 10 (minimum). Surround mix is a 10. Sound is a 10 (although sometimes I feel that John Entwistle's bass could be a bit more prominent in the mix...). And for the small pictures in the booklet I already have the super deluxe edition of Quadrophenia (good I bought it... just kiddin') as well as the original LP, so I can look at these while listening.

Which_One_Is_Pink

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I agree with all of your points 100% d0zer (although I bought the boxset so I have a lot of stuff to look at) I especially agree about Johns bass, I was just listening to the Live at Leeds [Deluxe Edition] and his bass is monstrous on that one. Saw him back in 1999 at the (sadly) one off Itchycoo Park festival in Manchester Tn. and he had the best live bass sound I have ever heard, powerful, loud, thundering and clear almost HI-FI what a great show!

jhw59

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I agree with all of your points 100% d0zer (although I bought the boxset so I have a lot of stuff to look at) I especially agree about Johns bass, I was just listening to the Live at Leeds [Deluxe Edition] and his bass is monstrous on that one. Saw him back in 1999 at the (sadly) one off Itchycoo Park festival in Manchester Tn. and he had the best live bass sound I have ever heard, powerful, loud, thundering and clear almost HI-FI what a great show!
You do know that Itchycoo performance is on DVD? I agree, the Ox at his best. Short performance but well worth picking up.

Blrac

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I just ordered this on ebay, brand new, but is still on pre-order through Amazon, July 8 release date. Is it the same disc? Same mix, etc?

jasong

I just ordered this on ebay, brand new, but is still on pre-order through Amazon, July 8 release date. Is it the same disc? Same mix, etc?

I ordered mine through amazon.ca. same price but $9 shipping. but it was shipped the day I bought. nt like amazon in the states. I had pre ordered the marley legend blu-ray and the tull in may. the release date was tues, it still wasn't shipped as of this morning. I found it at my local best buy for the same price so I cancelled my amazon order.
I wish I knew how to get through to amazon and complain about their lousy shiping.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
It's great to finally get this disc in, but unfortunately Mr Moore won't be pleased to know that I can't give this one a full '10' and have settled for a '9'.
Main reason is that there are some mixing decisions that I just don't agree with. It's not necessarily how I envisioned the 5.1 mix would sound.
Now that's not a completely negative thing. I do like the way most of the tracks sound, but I think that the mix would have sounded better if Bob Pridden would have stayed a bit more faithful to the balances and panning of the original mix.

This mix is definitely worth getting as the standalone Blu-Ray, but I would NOT recommend buying the gigantic "Live in London" set as the only other disc that's worth owning in the set is the Blu-Ray of the live show (in essence don't bother with the DVD and CDs)

HFPA continues to get better and better with this disc and the recent Bob Marley disc (which is even better than this one!) :)

dr. simple

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I'm not voting yet, but I'd like to nit-pick: I wish the pop-up menu wouldn't make "click" noise while the music is playing. I never understood why authors add the click sound.

Just got this today. Thrilled to have something new to listen to. Five tracks in and it's very nice.

stormchaser

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I enjoyed the "sampler" DVD-A, and clearly there is even more here to enjoy. I know some folks find some of the mixing choices a bit unorthodox, but I rather appreciate that. I almost gave this a 9 just to avoid rating inflation (there are times I wish I could go back and do a more systematic rerating of albums on QQ as I've been more exposed to surround sound and my tastes have evolved) but I just can't. This gets a 10 for me.

DocCasualty

It's a "10" in my book as I mentioned on a related thread.

Aside from the music, I like how they chose to have the slide show video content on screen. I have a few BDAs and one DVD-A now and it's interesting how the various discs choose to handle video while the music is playing. So far I've seen blank screen, static menu and now this is the first slide show I've run across. I think it's just good to use the screen for something and liner material just seems to make a lot of sense. Instead of looking at disc sized images, you get to see them on your flat panel display. Seems like a no-brainer to me to automatically include this with all of these BDAs, even the credits as an accessible page. That said, sometimes I turn the video off while listening or change the video input to something else and "watch tunes", but it's still nice when the disc at least has a screen-saver included.

mdm08033

It's a "10" in my book as I mentioned on a related thread.

Aside from the music, I like how they chose to have the slide show video content on screen. I have a few BDAs and one DVD-A now and it's interesting how the various discs choose to handle video while the music is playing.
I like the slide show. The producers of the Jackson Brown Running on Empty DVD-Audio offered a slide show, but only as a bonus feature. Hopefully the slideshow will become a standard feature. I really hope the idea of digging into the corporate music servers will bring us more 2.0/5.1 lossless Blu-ray audio titles. I was so sad to see the Rhino Quadio series fizzle, but everybody knows that crap or not, there are many surround albums, new and vintage remixes, lurking on servers. Maybe somebody upstream will wake up.

mdm08033

Whoops, I forgot to comment. 10 I say, 10 out of 10. I know that Pete sold off his financial stake in his music a few years back and bless for that. It probably opened the door to this release.

jhw59

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Listened last night, a little front centric but hearing lots of little things like Ox's brass arrangements. Nice slide show as well. So, a 10 from moi. I used the Tru mix. DTS for another night.

splinter7

701 Club - QQ All-Star
So what is the story on why we now have a complete 5.1 representation of all the tracks and the Director's Cut in 2011 only had 8?
I thought I read at the time that the masters were lost. Did they resurface or was it a money grab?