HiRez Poll Who, The - Tommy (2003 Mix) [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Who - TOMMY

• Total voters
Tommy is easy to find around here, SACD or DVD-A. The DVD-A is usually at least $10 cheaper.

Guess I better grab one while I can......

It looks like you are correct.

I found three of the DVD-A and another Deluxe SACD set today.

I must have been looking in the wrong places before. :)

The purpose of this thread is to critique and rate the disc, not to discuss how hard it is to find or where you can buy it. Please try to keep the thread on topic. You can start a new thread elsewhere if you want to discuss other topics related to this title.

Don't forget the easter egg PDF file of Townshend's original lyrics with commentary on disc #2 of the DVD-A set. You'll need to stick your disc #2 in a computer to get to it. :)

After a few listens (the disc is awesome as is), but Moon's single miced drum kit would have been spectacular with a two or four track master to give more space to his agressive (intuitve) skins mastery.

After a few listens (the disc is awesome as is), but Moon's single miced drum kit would have been spectacular with a two or four track master to give more space to his agressive (intuitve) skins mastery.

I know. His drums sound friggin awesome. Imagine if they had more tracks for them? Despite what was said "on another forum", I think Moon's drums were recorded very well on Tommy. The whole album is engineered very well.

Liked it alot. If only quadrophenia would get the DVD-A treatment. What a treat. I loaned my brother in law Tommy and 4 other DVD-A to listen to at Thanksgiving and he says he keeps going back to Tommy.

Liked it alot. If only quadrophenia would get the DVD-A treatment. What a treat. I loaned my brother in law Tommy and 4 other DVD-A to listen to at Thanksgiving and he says he keeps going back to Tommy.

Pete Townshend had reported that he had a team of people working on a 5.1 mix of Quadrophenia a few years back. So there's a chance that there is a finished mix somewhere collecting dust.

I wonder what it would take to convince him to release it? If there ever was an album that was conceived to be heard in quad (or surround), this is it. I mean come on, the title has the word "quad" right in it!

I read that an original quad mix exists as well. It was never released because Towshend didn't like the end result. He didn't like the way the matrixed mix decoded. I seem to remember that he wanted CD-4, but his label said no.

Put me in the '10' category on this one as sound is great and some classic classic rock songs on this one. Sure concept and story is weak but this is a fun trip listening to this album in surround. Everything comes through so clear and don't mind the choices Pete T. made on songs. If you don't have this one yet and like classic rock from 60's/70's, this is a winner.

peter

The DVD-A finally arrived last night, and went into my changer (Lexicon 7.1) this morning. I've only listened through the "Underture" (track 10?) and am blown away by a clarity I don't recall from the original LP. The surround is subtle compared to others, but perfectly used. So far, Tommy will have a permanent place in the 6 disc changer.

I have a dumb question.

As I understand it, when playing this CD on a standard CD player you'll hear the original 1969 mix and when playing it on a SACD surround system you'll hear a new 2003 mix in surround.

Is it possible to capture (or down mix as some people say) the new 2003 surround mix in stereo? And would that sound alot different than the 1969 stereo mix?

I have a dumb question.

As I understand it, when playing this CD on a standard CD player you'll hear the original 1969 mix and when playing it on a SACD surround system you'll hear a new 2003 mix in surround.

Is it possible to capture (or down mix as some people say) the new 2003 surround mix in stereo? And would that sound alot different than the 1969 stereo mix?
I know on my DVD players (OPPO 980H and BD-83) you can tell the player to downmix everything to stereo. It would be different from the original stereo mix, and I'm not sure why anyone would really be interested in doing that, as it was not meant to be heard that way.

Just trying to settle a debate between obsessive Who fans as to how many mixes there are of Tommy. So on this CD alone it appears there are 3 mixes.

Another question: Is this '3 mix' feature doable on both the SACD and the DVD-Audio format?
(or is the DVD only playable in DVD players so the 1969 mix is not included?)

The stereo mix on both the SACD and the DVDA is the 1969 mix. The multichannel mix on both the SACD and the DVDA is the new mix. Both multichannel formats can be mixed down to stereo.

Hope this helps.
George

Yeah, you can't count downmixes, so it's only two.

One question I have is whether there is any difference between the multichannel mixes on the DVDA and SACD? I could swear the mix on the DVDA is more active in the surrounds than the SACD. Sorry if this was already addressed.

OK last question, are the bonus tracks 1-12 on disc 2 in surround as well as stereo or just stereo?

This is the album that got me started into surround again. I had a nice quad system back in the 70's based on a Sansui receiver. I think I still have some quad albums from back then. I like the rawness, dryness, of the stereo mix here to the one from the 60's but have only listened to it in a car. I like the surround mix and the sonics are good. I have both the SACD and DVDA of it and have the same problem with both in that starting with track 10 I get a lot of pops and other noises, however when I put a fan in front of the player it's not as bad so I think the trouble is in the decoding of the digital data. At times I can play it straight through other times the noise gets so bad I change to a different album altogether. Would have been great to have Who's Next in surround.

No comment on any differences in the mix b/w sacd and dvda? earlier in this thread someone stated they thought the SQ of the dvda was a little better than the sacd, but no mention of the mix. I'm going to assume I'm hearing things and that they are the same.

Back