HiRez Poll Who, The - Tommy (2003 Mix) [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Who - TOMMY

• Total voters
I've listened primarily to the SACD version since I get less digital breakup and have not done a carefull scrutiny between them and don't plan to. They both sound very good.

I've listened primarily to the SACD version since I get less digital breakup and have not done a carefull scrutiny between them and don't plan to. They both sound very good.

Pinball Wizard in 5.1 SACD Surround is great! A real treat.

I've got the SA-CD on now at an 'interesting' volume...

What a brilliant composition for someone so young.

Twenty four years young. Wow.

The DVD-A has the great interview section with Pete. I can listen to him talk all day. What a succinct, smart man.

I gave it a 10 for quality and mix.

As for the content ...
I am an anomaly in that, despite have already completed 45 orbits around sol, I had never listened to this album until two days ago. So my first exposure to this album is this DVD-A at high volume. Color me impressed. 10.

Just giving this another listen for the first time in ages. What Pete Townshend managed to do with eight track tape containing bounced tracks to produce this stunning mix of this iconic album is nothing short of miraculous. Worth a 10 any day.

10. A bit sparse in the rears, but yet a good mix and a fantastic album.
B0000DJZAH.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

03Tommy-Who.jpg

The-Who-Tommy-423699.jpg

Exactly! The nice thing is that Townsend, as the author of the 5.1 mix, was able to make the drums so prominent. They are big and bold. I can't remember exactly what he said but in the interview on the disc he talks about how he laid the drums down.

also remember this what done in what 1967-68?

It was released in Spring 1969.
right, but it was being recorded in 67. That makes it pretty incredible to me. It sounds as if it could have been written a few yrs ago.
I was exposed to it much later, like 1972 or so. (not counting the Woodstock performance)
In my mind, it's a timeless piece.

Not one single second of Tommy was recorded in 1967.

OK, I was unaware of that. I assumed so because of the fact parts were done at Woodstock. It was written in 67 according to the wiki. .
It took us eight months altogether, six months recording, two months mixing
and recorded in 1968. Point being, again, it's a timeless piece.

I'm a big fan of this surround mix. It's immersive, warm and crystal clear (thanks to the minimal use reverb). "Underture" sounds particularly impressive and makes for a great surround demo track.

I know that there's a new 5.1 mix in the recent box set. I'm curious to hear it but doubt that I would enjoy it more than this Townsend mix.

Back