HiRez Poll Who, The - TOMMY (2013 Mix) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - TOMMY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2013 release from UMe, included in the TOMMY DELUXE BOX SET (Disc 3) as well as a stand alone audio only Blu-Ray 5.1 disc. This is an entirely different 5.1 mix from the previous SACD and DVD-Audio release.

As listed in the large book that is the centerpiece of this release, the 2013 5.1 mix was done by "Bob Pridden and Richard Whittaker at FX London" (The DVD-A/SACD 5.1 mix released in 2003 was mixed by Pete Townshend, with Elliot Mazer and David Pelletier as consultants)

Pre-Release discussion of this disc can be found HERE

Tommy Disc.jpg

(Sorry for the weak scan. This disc has a very faint label/silk screen art)

Here is a very quick look at the wav file view of the first 9 minutes of the album. The Top set of 5.1 files are the BluRay, the lower set of 5.1 files is the rip from the DVD-Audio. You can clearly see that it's not only a new and different mix, but the BluRay is far less compressed, the DVD-A much louder. Also, it looks like the DVD-A has a full range LFE track, where the BDA does not.

Tommy Wav Files.jpg

I've been spot listening to this mix, and comparing it to the 2003 DVD-A, and I am really torn.

The 2013 mix has the lead vocal very clean and solo in the center channel, which is something I like a lot, but it also can be heard in the other 4 channels (FR, FL, SL, SR). The 2003 mix also has the lead vocal in the center channel, but also has "other stuff" in there, but the lead vocal cannot be heard in the fronts, only a bit in the rears.

Also, as reported in another thread, the drums in the 2013 mix are in the left back, which makes this listen a bit odd.

However, when you A-B the two mixes, the new mix is infinitely more clear, more detailed, and less loud. You can see that in the wav files above, and you can hear it with your ears.

At this point, I am leaning towards preferring the old Pete Townshend mix, and if that mix was not so loud and compressed, it would be a clear winner to me right now. I'll listen a bit more, not sure how much "Tommy" I can take after all of these years! :)

Looking forward to hearing what others think.

Very good 5.1 blu-ray EXCEPT they screwed up PINBALL WIZARD!!! the signature start of the song (acoustic in the r/fr0 and the electric swoosh on the l/fl) is now acoustic guitar rear left and the swoosh front right DEBALLED almost what Steve(n) Wilson did to Emerson's Hammond in Tarkus. The Power is all gone from it. I checked my MSFL GOLD my SACD and my DVD-Audio. That being said Welcome back to Keith Moon's presence which was cut back on the SACD and the DVD-Audio releases. Listen to the UNDERTURE the great example of Moon's being One of Rock's greatest PERCUSSIONISTS no mere drumming here.

How's it sound in stereo? Same as the dvd-audio/SACD or does it have less compression also?

There is some controversy on this mix, but I enjoy it very much. I've consolidated my posts from the pre-release discussion thread for my review here:

I can confirm this Blu-ray is a different mix from the DVD-A. It is much more discrete and to me reveals much more detail. It may bother some that the drums are fixed at the left rear channel, but it works for me. It has a "stage mix" feel as if you are sitting front-right of Keith and behind Roger. The bass tends to be at the front left and the lead guitar at the the front right, but these do move around a bit. To me, discrete is king and I think limiting oneself to a strict paradigm of instrument placement is approaching the narrow mindedness of those who believe music should be played in one or two channels only.

The discreteness of this mix gives me a new appreciation of the talent of each musician and the work as a whole. I can truthfully say I had grown somewhat tired of Tommy and this new surround mix has made it a favorite again. The discrete instruments are a revelation and I can't stop playing it. I made a copy to play in my car and it has been in the player for a week as I grow more fond of it on every listen.

I must admit this new mix is not in the league of a SW masterpiece by any means, but I would give it a strong 8. I enjoy it many times over the old DVD-A mix and listening to this new mix, I feel I'm up on the stage with the band. It feels very personal and with a few more listens, it may become a 9.

How's it sound in stereo? Same as the dvd-audio/SACD or does it have less compression also?

Here's the same nine minutes in stereo. The liner notes don't say anything about a stereo version on the Blu-ray, but I assume it is the remastered HD version that is on CD 1 of the deluxe edition; with the bonus of being 96Khz/24bit.

Attachments

• TommyStereo.jpg
    TommyStereo.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 676
The Who - Tommy single disc (Blu-ray audio / HFPA)

The Blu-ray disc looks identical to JonUrban's scan. Even DISC 3 is printed on this single disc edition.

The Who - Tommy BDA Front 800.jpgThe Who - Tommy BDA Back 800.jpg

Hey Audi A3,

Thanks for the scan! I did not know it was available this way. Very cool. This is great for those who don't want to buy the big box!

(Now I find out! :) )

Here is a very quick look at the wav file view of the first 9 minutes of the album. The Top set of 5.1 files are the BluRay, the lower set of 5.1 files is the rip from the DVD-Audio. You can clearly see that it's not only a new and different mix, but the BluRay is far less compressed, the DVD-A much louder. Also, it looks like the DVD-A has a full range LFE track, where the BDA does not.

View attachment 11970

Hey Jon - thanks for the images! Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but even though the DVD-A is obviously much louder, it still looks less compressed than the BluRay to me. The BluRay wav files have that clipped by a hedge trimmer look whereas the DVD-A seems to have much more variation between peaks and quiet passages. Anyway looking forward to Christmas when I'll hopefully get a chance to listen to the differences myself!

Hey Jon - thanks for the images! Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but even though the DVD-A is obviously much louder, it still looks less compressed than the BluRay to me. The BluRay wav files have that clipped by a hedge trimmer look whereas the DVD-A seems to have much more variation between peaks and quiet passages. Anyway looking forward to Christmas when I'll hopefully get a chance to listen to the differences myself!

Nope! There is not less compression than Blu-Ray.
It seems when watching the files, that dynmaics are the same and the DVD-A is raised to 0 db.

I voted 9. I like what I hear, that being said by a drummer.
The drums in back right speaker is strange, but it doesn't hurt and keeps me more open minded.

Everything can be heard clearly and I enjoy the new 5.1 mix.

Last edited:
So, I first listened to this this morning when it arrived on my office/studio system where my iMac plays the DTS-HD MA track as regular DTS. Even so, I really liked the mix. It's been a long time since I heard this album and I have never been privy to the other 5.1 mix.

Later this afternoon I put this on to my main system downstairs with the full benefit of the true 24/96 DTS-HD MA and it just sounded even better! Given HFPA's tendency to be slap dash in choosing mixes, this is a definitive exception to the rule. It's dynamic, interesting to listen to and thoroughly pleasant! It is entirely respectful to the material and is incredibly engaging.

So, I was going to give this a 10. And if this was on sonics alone, that's what it would get. But I have to knock at least 1 point off because for the same price, I can buy a good number of other Blu Ray albums with infinitely better value, such as XTC, Yes and Steven Wilson.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to own this seminal album in glorious high resolution 5.1, and I know that if I wanted more, I could've stumped up for the box set. But a little bit extra would've completely warranted the price.

Going in the right direction, Universal. Could do better. 9.

So this comes 3 ways? In the Deluxe 2013 Edition, the Blu-ray pure audio case version, and the boxset made in the Czech Republic?

How many disks are in the Deluxe 2013 Edition. The website says 1, but wouldn't there be 2?

So that Deluxe Edition picture on amazon.co.uk is really just a picture of the CD version. They got the picture wrong?

Back