Who uses ReplayGain when Playing Music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great article, has me very interested, need to go home and see what JRiver offers. I know in JRiver when you "analyze audio" it spells out exactly what your volume levels should be etc, always looked complicated, but maybe there is an Auto Replay Gain? I have to look.

It looks like I am already doing it with JRiver when I Analyze Audio, The analyzed bar shows: Volume Level (R128)>Volume Level (replay gain)>Dynamic Range (R128)>Dynamic Range (DR)>Peak Level (R128).
The only thing I know is Dynamic Range (DR) the others I can't say 100%. But every track on every album has different numbers.
An example of Volume Level (replay gain) is track 1 -4.43 dB, track 2 -5.17dB. Does this mean I am using replay gain with JRiver?

Those numbers look like ReplayGains but I’m not sure if JRiver uses ReplayGain if you haven’t enabled it in some playback option.

One is the track RG and other Album. Album is the one to use as track forces all to be ‘same’ loudness where as Album allows for quieter songs to remain quieter relative to other tracks on the same album (or loader too)

In Kodi there’s an audio setting that’s on by default (I think). Maybe a JRiver users can confirm?

Those numbers look like ReplayGains but I’m not sure if JRiver uses ReplayGain if you haven’t enabled it in some playback option.

One is the track RG and other Album. Album is the one to use as track forces all to be ‘same’ loudness where as Album allows for quieter songs to remain quieter relative to other tracks on the same album (or loader too)

In Kodi there’s an audio setting that’s on by default (I think). Maybe a JRiver users can confirm?

Yep, on J River if you have analysed audio then - Go to Tools > Options > Audio > DSP Studio & Output Format > and check the box for Volume Leveling.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume_Leveling

I haven't got around to doing all my files yet, but it's on the 'to do' list! Will be very handy to have all my music coming out at the same volume...

Yep, on J River if you have analysed audio then - Go to Tools > Options > Audio > DSP Studio & Output Format > and check the box for Volume Leveling.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume_Leveling

I haven't got around to doing all my files yet, but it's on the 'to do' list! Will be very handy to have all my music coming out at the same volume...

Alright Mr Smithers, that is great info. I will try to find the JRiver thread, I think Brian started it for all us JRiver people and if I may pick your brain once in awhile that would be cool.
When I import from my NAS to my JRiver I have the "Analyze Audio" checked so my entire JRiver library has already been done.
Do you have any idea what MC25 will bring? I preordered and so far I just got a new registration #, but my player still says MC24.

Alright Mr Smithers, that is great info. I will try to find the JRiver thread, I think Brian started it for all us JRiver people and if I may pick your brain once in awhile that would be cool.
When I import from my NAS to my JRiver I have the "Analyze Audio" checked so my entire JRiver library has already been done.
Do you have any idea what MC25 will bring? I preordered and so far I just got a new registration #, but my player still says MC24.

Cool, I'm going to import my files with Analyse Audio checked henceforth! Always much cheaper to preorder so that's a good idea... I think they're adding lyric lookup and movie trailers for a start - the ability to make me some tea and toast would also be a good feature! :)

Cool, I'm going to import my files with Analyse Audio checked henceforth! Always much cheaper to preorder so that's a good idea... I think they're adding lyric lookup and movie trailers for a start - the ability to make me some tea and toast would also be a good feature! :)
If they actually add a decent self scrolling lyric function I may have to look into JRiver again.

Longtime lurker with my first post/?. Thanks for the tip of using RelayGain for multichannel files. Although I have used ReplayGain for 2.0 tracks with Kodi (xbmc user since I first modded an original xbox), I never tried it with MCH FLAC. For MP3 and AAC I use MP3Gain. However, my query is regarding DD 5.1 is there a similar solution. I ask because I have approximately 4,000 music videos from various sources that I shuffle with KODI. MP3Gain works well for mp4 2.0 files but will not work for 5.1 files AAC or AC3. Most of my 5.1 music videos are concert rips while the 2.0 files are captures from various sources (mostly MTV Classic and now Youtube). Any suggests would be greatly appreciated. BTW I find MMH an excellent tool.

Welcome to the forum:hi

I can confirm BS1770gain does do replay gain on video files. It uses libraries from FFmpeg so it should handle all FFmpeg supported codecs (which it just about everything, certainly AC3, AAC, FLAC and DTS).

Next question is does Kodi recognise the replay gain tags when playing back video files? I’ll see what I can find.

Looks like Kodi doesn’t support replay gain when playing back video files. It needs a developer to implement reading the ReplayGain tags.

Thanks for the update. In kodi, there is volume amplification on the video settings, but as you say no replay gain option. I wonder if adding the option is skin related or deeper in the build. I tried adding a *.mp4 file with ac3 5.1 audio to MMH, but it didn't recognize the file format. Any suggestions for normalizing 1000 music videos (mostly mp4 container) with 5.1 audio to -89db? I've tried it with Xmedia Recode https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html but the rears and LFE tend to get pushed up proportional to the fronts and center which can lead to undesirable results.

It’s a change required in the Kodi player code not skin.

ReplayGain won’t help balance front and rears. It averages out track loudness and increase/decreases volume accordingly (like a simple volume control would).

You would need to permantly change specific channel volumes for the audio track using some other tool. Maybe
ffmpeg? Since Kodi doesn’t support ReplayGain for videos I’m not planning to do anything in MMH to support ReplayGain on MKV or MP4 (at the moment).

When converting my files to multichannel FLAC, is there also a way to add pictures? I assumed not, so I didn't ask, but would be nice to see them as opposed to the title screen on my monitor. If so, what program to add them, FooBar?

FLAC supports album cover art but nothing else. It also supports text metadata text.

If you tag your files with artist name it’s possible to get an automated Artist Slideshow if you use Kodi with the ArtistSlideshow add-on with some skins. (You can also add your own fanart too). This may be a feature in other media player software too but I’m not sure.

See this post for a short example:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...back-features-and-hardware.22375/#post-357171

Thanks You Homer, so Much! One last question if I May. When converting DTS 96/24 files to mono WAVS using DVD AUDIO EXTRACTER, Do you know the Channel Assignment of each WAV? It outputs them as 1 through 6. I'm trying to brighten up my Moody Blues - Lost Chord 5.1 WAVs. Very blah sounding remix.

Back