Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, I've been looking for YEARS for something -- anything -- that can turn HDMI signal into good-sounding analog 5.1 outs that I can feed into my vintage gear.
What you're looking for is an A/V preamp/processor (pre/pro). These will take digital and analog inputs and consolidate them into digital video plus analog audio outputs. These exist in some abundance. Unfortunately, they are generally not "budget" items, as they populate the "separates" marketplace. There are also some A/V integrated amplifiers with preamplifier outputs that are priced lower than some pre/pros. I think you're likely one google search away from a piece of equipment, new or used, that fits your bill at around the same price as MSRP for an Oppo (X)X3.

Last edited:
I sold my 103 after I found a great deal on a used 105D. I can hear the upgrade in sound quality.

I'd be sorry for selling that 103 just before Oppo announced their shutting down the uni player market.

But I still have on hand an older Denon 3900 DVD-A / SACD player in my rack which sounds good but not as good as the 105D. It has no USB input, and no hdmi in or out, but at least it's got analog out for 5.1.

So I guess I can consider myself covered for the time being until something breaks down no?

I feel I should grab an older Sony or Pioneer uni player, like the last one with analog outs? Cheap on eBay while it's still fun.

I have clearly been out of the loop on this news and I find it quite disappointing. Guess it is time to really take good care of the players we already have :)

I have clearly been out of the loop on this news and I find it quite disappointing. Guess it is time to really take good care of the players we already have :)
Yeah taking care is always a good idea, be gentle and easy on this gear.

But when it decides to go on the fritz - it goes on the fritz no matter what. My Denon is purring like a kitten but everyone else I know that bought this model had to dump it when it stopped reading one of the disc types or the laser assembly burned out completely. Of course I am fine if it stops reading CDs. Even DVD-A I can live without on this player so long as SACD playback is there. This unit was $80 plus shipping on eBay.

Anyway we worry and have good cause to.

Last edited:
I only got into SACD for the multi-channel discs. And only when AF got serious and came through with those first few titles.

I'm still ga-ga over those quad / 4.0 SACDs.

Well, knock me down with a feather. Just found my personalized OPPO email to purchase the 205 in the spam box. More importantly, my wife approved the purchase :)

I've bought direct from OPPO a few times in the past but didn't submit an email to the "interest list" until late July, so there my be hope for later entries from folks still waiting for a chance to buy.

Snood got the OPPO 205 email today :eek: was like whaaaaaaaaaaaa o_O then :unsure: then :geek::LB:SB:QQlove:rocks

added the extra year of warranty - ehhhhh so 2 +1 came to a lil over 1400 :eek: - normally would not do it, but figure i can sell the 203 to offset the cost in the future. Sooooooooooo

So whatcha think - good , bad, pass? :unsure:

Wow.......knock me down....I just got the Oppo 205 email today.......and within two minutes completed the sale. Did not opt for the extra year of warranty as I'm already paying an extra $94 in taxes thanks to California.....may come to regret it but these things are built like tanks and my 95 is till chugging along...and my original 970 never had any problems though its been sitting in storage since I bought the 95.

I am really going to be broke this fall.........by Christmas Ill be out panhandling in the streets. I'll be the guy holding up a sign at the freeway onramp Help me buy More Surround Music :giggle:

Is the Oppo 205 tent friendly?

Snood got the OPPO 205 email today :eek: was like whaaaaaaaaaaaa o_O then :unsure: then :geek::LB:SB:QQlove:rocks

added the extra year of warranty - ehhhhh so 2 +1 came to a lil over 1400 :eek: - normally would not do it, but figure i can sell the 203 to offset the cost in the future. Sooooooooooo

So whatcha think - good , bad, pass? :unsure:

I thought this was a situation that might happen...a lot of people sign these lists and then when it comes time to actually pay for them they don't..

Wow.......knock me down....I just got the Oppo 205 email today.......and within two minutes completed the sale. Did not opt for the extra year of warranty as I'm already paying an extra $94 in taxes thanks to California.....may come to regret it but these things are built like tanks and my 95 is till chugging along...and my original 970 never had any problems though its been sitting in storage since I bought the 95.

I am really going to be broke this fall.........by Christmas Ill be out panhandling in the streets. I'll be the guy holding up a sign at the freeway onramp Help me buy More Surround Music :giggle:

Is the Oppo 205 tent friendly?

Yeah, I got the email today, too. Still mulling. I already have a working, if noisy, 980 and a near-mint 103. (Well, okay--it's three years old, and who knows how many hours I've put on the transport? But it feels near-mint.) I really don't have $1200 to spend, and the rest of my setup honestly isn't good enough that I'm gonna hear the difference between a 103 and a 205. And yet....

Last edited:
You did good Snood.
Lots of folks trying to rationalize why other players are just good as Oppo etc., etc., etc., but the fact of the matter is that no other piece of gear on the market does everything that Oppos do.
Folks may not care about one or more of the functionalities of the Oppo and that's fine.
Honestly, I don't GAS if you don't care about 2-channel or multichannel, CD, SACD, DVD-A, BD Audio, 480p, 1080p or 4k video, file based playback, Roon Endpoint capability or any combination of the above.
I do all of these.

The real shame to me about this whole situation is that every generation of Oppo players got better with the 203 & 205 really hitting it out of the park in every measure.
We'll never see what a 303 or 305 could have been.
Who knows maybe that next gen of Oppos would have to have been a lot more expensive to justify the performance improvements which are by now really incremental.
Plus their customer service, responsiveness to customer feedback & firmware updates is unparalleled.

I would encourage folks to check a couple of sites that have extensively measured the 205 to see just how refined they are.
Audio Science Review - ASR
Archimago's Musings - Archimago

I was on the verge of buying a $4k+ Denafrips DAC & 203 for movies. When the news came down about Oppo I bought bailed on that and bought 2 205s & a 203.
I had another 205 on hold at Magnolia & let it go for the guy behind me. I had a 205 on order with Oppo and let that one go to someone else also.
I bought 2 203s from Oppo and sold one to a friend after some logical strong arm tactics ;)

Last edited:
You did good Snood.
Lots of folks trying to rationalize why other players are just good as Oppo etc., etc., etc., but the fact of the matter is that no other piece of gear on the market does everything that Oppos do.
Folks may not care about one or more of the functionalities of the Oppo and that's fine.
Honestly, I don't GAS if you don't care about 2-channel or multichannel, CD, SACD, DVD-A, BD Audio, 480p, 1080p or 4k video, file based playback, Roon Endpoint capability or any combination of the above.
I do all of these.

The real shame to me about this whole situation is that every generation of Oppo players got better with the 203 & 205 really hitting it out of the park in every measure.
Who knows maybe that next gen of Oppos would have to have been a lot more expensive to justify the performance improvements which are by now really incremental.
Plus their customer service, responsiveness to customer feedback & firmware updates is unparalleled.

I would encourage folks to check a couple of sites that have extensively measured the 205 to see just how refined they are.

I was on the verge of buying a $4k+ Denafrips DAC & 203 for movies. When the news came down about Oppo I bought bailed on that and bought 2 205s & a 203.
I had another 205 on hold at Magnolia & let it go for the guy behind me. I had a 205 on order with Oppo and let that one go to someone else also.
I bought 2 203s from Oppo and sold one to a friend after some logical strong arm tactics ;)

Awesome Milt :love: Thank you for the affirmation :QQlove

You did good Snood.
I do all of these.

Got links to the reviews themselves?

WoooHoooo.......got my email and took the plunge. Could not be happier.
Did not get the extended warranty as I am paying just over $1900 Canadian to get it to the boarder, and there will be tax on top of that, for sure.
Will probably have to forgo several pending releases, and everyone will receive a lump of coal for Christmas, but I am still over the moon to get this!

Well, knock me down with a feather. Just found my personalized OPPO email to purchase the 205 in the spam box. More importantly, my wife approved the purchase :)

I've bought direct from OPPO a few times in the past but didn't submit an email to the "interest list" until late July, so there my be hope for later entries from folks still waiting for a chance to buy.

I am on the list from at least July 8th, but I signed up for the 203. Guess they aren't distributing those atm. Wish I had done both now :cautious:

Back