Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems crazy to me that their Flagship Blu-ray player doesn't at least play SACDs also (I guess they really don't like Sony 🧐.)

But Panasonic's own audiophile division, Technics, released the SL-G700 CD/SACD player + audio streamer. Even though Panasonic was a DVD-A proponent during "The Format War", it basically waved the white flag when it released the SL-G700.

But Panasonic's own audiophile division, Technics, released the SL-G700 CD/SACD player + audio streamer. Even though Panasonic was a DVD-A proponent during "The Format War", it basically waved the white flag when it released the SL-G700.
All I can say is that a proper Universal player by Panasonic/Technics would be a strong contender if not priced into the Stratosphere.

Given Panasonic's economy of scale, would you pay US$1,500 for a version of the DP-UB9000 that plays both DVD-A and SACD?
$1500 may be reasonable if the player is truly universal for all physical media, minimum 5.1 analog outs, for backwards compatibility, native DSD over HDMI and a streamer able to handle any/all of the streaming services and with MQA and Atmos.

I'm close to buying the dp ub900 for $999 because the oppo 205 is unavailable (or ulta expensive) and the build quality iof the 900 is top notch according to reviews (similar to the 205). Has anyone here bought one of these? How does it sound playing multi channel bluray audio discs through the analogue outs?

I'm close to buying the dp ub900 for $999 because the oppo 205 is unavailable (or ulta expensive) and the build quality iof the 900 is top notch according to reviews (similar to the 205). Has anyone here bought one of these? How does it sound playing multi channel bluray audio discs through the analogue outs?
After reading some specs and reviews this unit doesn't play DVD-A nor will it process NAS file playback like an OPPO can.

Im assuming it will play audio dts hd multi channel blurays ..right?
Yes. It will play any 4K UHD Blu-ray, standard HD Blu-ray, or DVD-Video with unparalleled video quality. It will bitstream all audio and video formats—including all four HDR formats—that are currently available on those discs. It will natively decode all Dolby and DTS formats, including the lossless and immersive ones. It will also play back multichannel uncompressed PCM correctly, including 4.0. It can feed any decoded audio to its internal DACs and output up to 7.1 channels over unbalanced RCA (plus, it has dedicated stereo outputs, including balanced XLR—just like the Oppo 105 and 205).

As for the sound quality of the DACs, I couldn't say, but I have read that they are quite good. They had better be at that price point. I elected to go with the step-down $600 DP-UB820-K, since I'm using audio over HDMI to my receiver, and I couldn't be happier with the video quality. It definitely beats my Oppo 103D in that regard. The UB9000 has a few extra video processing features, mainly for projectors, so it could look even better (depending on your display setup). It would undoubtedly sound better than the UB820 (and probably also the 103, albeit with the caveats previously mentioned re: formats).

Last edited:
Yes. It will play any 4K UHD Blu-ray, standard HD Blu-ray, or DVD-Video with unparalleled video quality. It will bitstream all audio and video formats—including all four HDR formats—that are currently available on those discs. It will natively decode all Dolby and DTS formats, including the lossless and immersive ones. It will also play back multichannel uncompressed PCM correctly, including 4.0. It can feed any decoded audio to its internal DACs and output up to 7.1 channels over unbalanced RCA (plus, it has dedicated stereo outputs, including balanced XLR—just like the Oppo 105 and 205).

As for the sound quality of the DACs, I couldn't say, but I have read that they are quite good. They had better be at that price point. I elected to go with the step-down $600 DP-UB820-K, since I'm using audio over HDMI to my receiver, and I couldn't be happier with the video quality. It definitely beats my Oppo 103D in that regard. The UB900 has a few extra video processing features, mainly for projectors, so it could look even better (depending on your display setup). It would undoubtedly sound better than the UB820 (and probably also the 103, albeit with the caveats previously mentioned re: formats).
This is a very tempting recommendation... but I don't think I'll upgrade to 4K until I'll have enough room to buy a new tv. I'm currently using a 42" 3D LG from 2013 which does its job very well... but if I had to upgrade, theoretically, I would probably consider the Pioneer UDP-LX500 because of its capability to play DVD-A and SACDs. I generally rip my music, but not having a player that can read my stuff is a problem to me. But I get your point of superior video quality for the panasonic player.

Thanks Jedi for the info. Even though the panasonic is expensive, it seems it will be an excellent backup unit if the info is correct about it being a replacent for the OPPO 205 (sans dvda and sacd playback). Since I have accumulated a large number of expensive and rare multichannel bluray discs, I need a back up player before my oppo goes kaput (I never got the much anticipated OPPO 205 email). I'm a physical disc type guy and use analog out exclusively for the sound quality. Hey, just plug that fancy player into a beautiful vintage quad receiver = audio Nirvana

The Sony UBP-X800M2 claims it can play anything, Blu-Ray, SACD, CD, DVD-A, etc. No audio RCA outs, just HDMI and a coaxial digital. $299.00.
Yeah, my father has that. It plays everything, but if you play music from a USB stick it's only 5.1, no quad. It's a great player for that price, and a lot of plastic :)

Back