Why 4 channels of stereo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

I have a Sony TC-248D quad 8-track player. When I play a stereo 8-track on it, it sends the left channel out on both the left front and rear ports and the right channel out on both the right front and rear ports. Why doesn't it just send it out the front ports and leave the rear ports alone? If I'm playing stereo, I just want to hear two channels from the front. Is this standard? It's damn annoying.

I have a Sony TC-248D quad 8-track player. When I play a stereo 8-track on it, it sends the left channel out on both the left front and rear ports and the right channel out on both the right front and rear ports. Why doesn't it just send it out the front ports and leave the rear ports alone? If I'm playing stereo, I just want to hear two channels from the front. Is this standard? It's damn annoying.
Yes that is the standard. It makes perfect sense to me. Discrete sources Q8 and CD-4 always revert to double stereo when not doing quad. The same as switching between mono and stereo, you don't just turn one speaker off.

For some reason matrix decoders generally switch only the front speakers on when set to stereo. I was told by Steve Kennedy of Audionics that was done so that you could better see the difference between regular stereo and the effect produced by the decoder. Double stereo is not proper or normal stereo. The Fosgate decoder contained jumpers that could be set for regular two speaker stereo or double stereo. I think that it is really a matter of preference.

With the double stereo setup you can either listen to double stereo or adjust the balance all the way to the front, or switch in a decoder for derived quad. Much less annoying to me then having to listen to "regular" stereo!

I haven't listened to just 2ch stereo in years. Always fronts and surrounds. 2ch now just seems so empty to me at least.
I'm not sure what your upmixing with, but the codex for whats included with most current AVR's is very good. Personally I find the latest builds of Dolby Surround with center spread enabled to be the best of the current bunch, with Auro 3D coming in second and DTS on the hind tit. There are other custom programs out there that can be excellent but I'm just a bit too lazy to have to mess with them, they all require some tweaking for best performance.

I haven't listened to just 2ch stereo in years. Always fronts and surrounds. 2ch now just seems so empty to me at least.
There’s a ton of good music that only exists in mono.

Sure, I’m here because I enjoy the MCH experience, but the music is SO much more important than the number of speakers. But that’s me, and I don’t feel your preference is a moral failure or anything. I just think you’re missing out on a hell of a lot of good music.

There’s a ton of good music that only exists in mono.

Sure, I’m here because I enjoy the MCH experience, but the music is SO much more important than the number of speakers. But that’s me, and I don’t feel your preference is a moral failure or anything. I just think you’re missing out on a hell of a lot of good music.
You miss the point. Mono is fine but sounds a lot better through multiple speakers.

In my collection I have a DVD-audio disc of oldies said to be 5.1 but in fact it's five channels of mono. Still it sounds excellent!

You miss the point. Mono is fine but sounds a lot better through multiple speakers.

In my collection I have a DVD-audio disc of oldies said to be 5.1 but in fact it's five channels of mono. Still it sounds excellent!
It seems like the original point was that putting stereo on four speakers isn’t satisfying. Sure, I expand sometimes, but mostly I want to hear what is on the medium, not fiddling with what the artist provided to me.

Again, just my opinion.

It seems like the original point was that putting stereo on four speakers isn’t satisfying. Sure, I expand sometimes, but mostly I want to hear what is on the medium, not fiddling with what the artist provided to me.

Again, just my opinion.
That is something that I'll never understand, but as I mentioned earlier it's a matter of preference!

Again, just my opinion.
If I remember right didn't The Beatles only record their last 2 in stereo?

No. The first few were meant to be mono releases but I think were recorded on three or four tracks. They latter saw stereo release, with the vocals stuck on one side. When first put out on CD they used the "proper" mono mixes. I actually love those "stereo" releases even though they don't decode into quad worth a damn.

Some players do double stereo, some don't. Maybe find one that doesn't to satisfy your needs?
Indeed. My AKAI CR-80D-SS plays stereo only out of the front speakers, as is my preference. It's also widely regarded as one of the best decks ever made, so if you can find one in good/refurbished condition at a price you're willing to pay, I think it's hard to go wrong.

I have the original albums. The albums Revolver, Sgt Pepper's LHCB, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, and Let it Be are recorded in what seems to be a reasonable stereo mix. The stereo versions of earlier albums seem to be the mono album on one channel and some added backing tracks on the other.

I think the problerm with the earlier albums was the lack of multitrack recordings and mixers designed to mix in stereo.

I know that we are drifting away off topic but with this talk of the Beatles I just have to mention that my favourite of the early Beatles albums are those from Capitol Canada the "6000" series. The Beatles hit Canada before the US! The albums were "Twist and Shout", "Beatlemania" and "Long Tall Sally". They were original released in mono, latter on stereo versions appeared.

https://www.discogs.com/master/230677-The-Beatles-Twist-And-Shout
https://www.discogs.com/master/216645-The-Beatles-Long-Tall-Sally
https://www.discogs.com/release/2160905-The-Beatles-Beatlemania-With-The-Beatles
https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...ow_the_beatles_got_their_start_in_canada.html

Yes that is the standard. It makes perfect sense to me. Discrete sources Q8 and CD-4 always revert to double stereo when not doing quad. The same as switching between mono and stereo, you don't just turn one speaker off.

He's playing a stereo 8 track and wondering why his quad 8 track player is 'pseudo-upmixing' 2 channel to 4 by default.

Are you saying CD-4 turntable setups always output 4 channels of audio even when playing a stereo (nonCD-4) LP? That would be the equivalent behavior.

I suspect it's because Sony figured anyone who buys a quad deck expects 'quad' all the time.

Back