Why Blu-Ray will make it when SACD, DVD-A, and HD-DVD won't

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect Warner's waited until they got rid of their excess HD-DVD stock during Christmas before announcing. Now will be the time to pick up HD-DVD titles in the bargain bin for cheap. Works for me.

This part is interesting from: "Warner Bros. Picks Blu-Ray Over HD-DVD" By ALEX VEIGA

"Still, one alarming trend Warner keyed on was that consumers didn't appear motivated by price reductions on high-definition disc players.

"When we saw that was not impacting sales in the level that it should have, and the consumer research that we did indicated that the consumers were holding back from buying either one of the two formats ... we thought it was the right time to act," Tsujihara said, noting that even sales of standard DVDs were affected because consumers appeared unsure over which format to go with.

"That was kind of the worst of all worlds for us," he said."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5o_jtobEI9M5f_SARKDatmaSU3QD8TVC9M80

What I find interesting is that this announcement (leaked before Christmas) comes SO CLOSE to Christmas, that the increased sales of HD-DVD players and discs that happened (and Toshiba was counting on) had no effect on the WB decision. It appears that they had made up their minds some time ago - when the idea for the THD was canned.

Every videophile I know, the type of people who are traditionally early adopters, are all waiting this one out.

I waited a year or more and finally gave in over the holidays and bought into both formats. The Toshiba players were just too darned cheap, then the Panasonic DMP-BD30 just got too tempting.

I don't regret either.

I do agree that proper upsampling to 1080p can do a pretty magnificent job with standard DVD. There's no question that there's a difference between upsampling and real HD...but it's less dramatic than some might think.

What I find interesting is that this announcement (leaked before Christmas) comes SO CLOSE to Christmas, that the increased sales of HD-DVD players and discs that happened (and Toshiba was counting on) had no effect on the WB decision. It appears that they had made up their minds some time ago - when the idea for the THD was canned.

one would suspect that Sony Deals took some part in teh decision I wonder what Warner were offered to jump ship. To me the cost of making and authoring blu Ray discs makes no sense in a commercial sense unless Sony have offered a deal to warner which they wont match with a smaller company. Effectivly offering the service at a loss to Warner to buy market share.

I dont see that much traction this side of the pond in either format.

one would suspect that Sony Deals took some part in teh decision I wonder what Warner were offered to jump ship. To me the cost of making and authoring blu Ray discs makes no sense in a commercial sense unless Sony have offered a deal to warner which they wont match with a smaller company. Effectivly offering the service at a loss to Warner to buy market share.

I dont see that much traction this side of the pond in either format.

With a new format, there are always deals for the content providers to get them interested in starting the ball rolling. We saw that with DTS, DVD-A and SACD and during the '70s Quad era as well.

On the other hand, the movie studios need to get serious about whether or not they want hi def video discs to happen. If they do, moving to a standard format (as they did with DVD) makes a lot of sense.

If they don't, then the current format confusion is fine.

Until the market is flooded with sub $150 blu-ray machines, most people will not buy these player’s in huge amounts. They’ll continue to stay with regular DVD. This Christmas many consumers were also interested in DVD recorders and up sampling machines for regular DVD. Perhaps that’ll change in 2009 with the switchover and more HDTVs in the home.

But with the way the economy is going now, Hi-Def is the last thing the average person can afford now.

Until the market is flooded with sub $150 blu-ray machines, most people will not buy these player’s in huge amounts. They’ll continue to stay with regular DVD. This Christmas many consumers were also interested in DVD recorders and up sampling machines for regular DVD. Perhaps that’ll change in 2009 with the switchover and more HDTVs in the home.

But with the way the economy is going now, Hi-Def is the last thing the average person can afford now.

Here's the thing. The presence on these "HD" discs in the store, both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are doing something that does not impact their sales figures. Joe Average is getting the widescreen TVs, and most are getting HD cable or satellite, to watch their football games and their TV shows. They are "HD aware", much more so than HD Audio aware.

Now, the same guy goes into Best Buy, sees the HD DVDs (both formats), and even if he can't afford or does not want to buy an HD player yet, he is second guessing his purchase of a REGULAR DVD because he is thinking that the DVD format is on it's way out!!!! Why should he buy a DVD of a marginal new release, or a "back catalog" DVD (say "Caddyshack", "Blazing Saddles", etc), when he figures sooner or later he'll have to REBUY it on some other format.

DVD sales are down, and I think THAT is what spooked WB. If you F with DVD sales, you are F'ing with a big revenue stream. This is why ONE FORMAT should have been the ticket from the top.

Joe Average will spend $500 on a player if that is the only game in town. He does not want to spend $250 on TWO players because it creates problems in the home. "Why do we need two more DVD players? We already have 2 and you have them in your computer"

You know the deal......................:smokin

Good points made by everyone.

Some good points made about SONY. Beware the multi-national who wants to create and control both content and distribution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhSsV55ZZ4

Quote from the end of the video:

"There's an important principle at stake here. When Sony's a hardware company, they're a good company, great ideas. The trouble is when one company controls the media, controls the content, controls the hardware, who's interest's are being served? Why should they bother to innovate?"

I don’t think it’s all as dire as this. But, until Sony’s licensing fees for making discs and the ability of content providers to make profession blu-ray discs is affordable to even the average person, it does mean one company can control content and how that content is distributed. If that’s so, perhaps HD-DVD is not as dead as we may think or another format could emerge. Perhaps we’ll get HDTV content on our sets through YouTube. That’s probably one of the reasons why Warner bailed from HD-DVD, although they did say they would keep their back catalog in stock if people wanted it. The whole HD thing sound’s fishy. And Joe Average is not stupid.

This coming year I’ll look for DVD-A / SACD titles and not buy anything HD until next Christmas.
We should have a clearer picture by then! :D

Overlooked in all of the hoopla about the Warner BluRay decsision was the announcement at CES by Comcast and Panasonic of a co-branded set-top box, called AnyPlay, with a removable 60-gig DVR and 8.5 inch LCD screen (see link). The unit will be available in early 2009 and will support hi-def video. Coupled with plans by the cable cos. and Verizon FiOS TV to add extensive amounts of HD programming, both linear channels and video-on-demand, it means that, in as little as a year, consumers will be able to download HD movies directly to a home unit and view them on any TV in their (or a friends') home, or take them on the road.

The cable industry's research group also announced its solution for an open-source cable platform, called tru2way. In a nutshell, the technology would make all cable systems compatible with each other (currently, there are a number of propriteary standards, led by Motorola and Scientific Atlanta, meaning a set-top box or other cable device that works on one system cannot be used on another). The AnyPlay box uses this technology. The consumer electronic industry has been pushing its own open-platform solution based on the Cable Card, but, given the fact that Panny has de facto signed on to tru2way, the latter seems to have the leg up.

This, of course, is in addition to ongoing efforts to deliver video content, including hi-def films, directly to home computers and media servers via the Net. It's only a matter of time before bandwidth and other issues are ironed out, allowing high-quality video to be distributed over the web in a reasonable download time. Finally, more and more movies are being offered on VOD day-and-date with the home video release, eliminating one of the biggest advantages physical media have had over cable and satellite delivery for the past two decades.

What does this mean for disc-based hi-def video like BluRay? My guess is that it's going to be a fairly short-lived holding pattern until video, like audio, enters the 21st-century download age.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6517425.html

Overlooked in all of the hoopla about the Warner BluRay decsision was the announcement at CES by Comcast and Panasonic of a co-branded set-top box, called AnyPlay, with a removable 60-gig DVR and 8.5 inch LCD screen (see link). The unit will be available in early 2009 and will support hi-def video. Coupled with plans by the cable cos. and Verizon FiOS TV to add extensive amounts of HD programming, both linear channels and video-on-demand, it means that, in as little as a year, consumers will be able to download HD movies directly to a home unit and view them on any TV in their (or a friends') home, or take them on the road.

The cable industry's research group also announced its solution for an open-source cable platform, called tru2way. In a nutshell, the technology would make all cable systems compatible with each other (currently, there are a number of propriteary standards, led by Motorola and Scientific Atlanta, meaning a set-top box or other cable device that works on one system cannot be used on another). The AnyPlay box uses this technology. The consumer electronic industry has been pushing its own open-platform solution based on the Cable Card, but, given the fact that Panny has de facto signed on to tru2way, the latter seems to have the leg up.

This, of course, is in addition to ongoing efforts to deliver video content, including hi-def films, directly to home computers and media servers via the Net. It's only a matter of time before bandwidth and other issues are ironed out, allowing high-quality video to be distributed over the web in a reasonable download time. Finally, more and more movies are being offered on VOD day-and-date with the home video release, eliminating one of the biggest advantages physical media have had over cable and satellite delivery for the past two decades.

What does this mean for disc-based hi-def video like BluRay? My guess is that it's going to be a fairly short-lived holding pattern until video, like audio, enters the 21st-century download age.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6517425.html

Sorry to widdle on the campfire, but this is all pie in the sky nonsense.
The vast majority of towns/villages in the UK & europe do not even have high speed ADSL at this time, and they seem to be stuck with - at the best - ISDN lines at a whopping 128kbps.
The companies that are trying this download/streaming model are finding they are losing fortunes, as the fat pipes necessary are either non-existent in the real world or else in the case of downloading as you desire, you get limited here with "Fair Usage" usage caps to a riduculous 2Gb or just over every month. That's not even one decent resolution film.
There are millions of people with no internet access at all, and no plans to ever bother.
Move more than 8 miles from the telephone exchange, and it's "goodnight is all she wrote" as you will be limited to ISDN.
Just who, exactly, is supposed to be picking up the bill to rewire the entire world for streaming/download on demand models, and who is going to pick up the internet download tabs?
What type of server farms are going to be required to handle this - IF it ever happens?
In the UK, we cannot even get a national network to reliably stay up & running passing simple documents (ask the NHS who have laid out £32 Billion (that's $75 Billion in dollars) for a network that slows to the point of being utterly useless as soon as more than a couple of hundred people are on it at once) - I know this is all europe, but in the US things are hardly better. You have vast tracts of your country where even cellphones won't work. What chance has this model got of working? Not a snowball in hells.
Wireless isn't going to do it either, as the EM radiation will cause big problems further down the line. If you could see in Infra Red you would be horrified about the constant bombardment of Infra Red & ultra/Sub sonic audio we have been surrounded with.

Channel 4? I assume you're talking about 4oD here?
Problems, problems, problems.
Proprietary player that is loaded with spyware.
Serious (And I mean serious) limitations on use.
See http://www.channel4.com/4od/terms/ for the conditions. You get 7 days to watch it, and that is your lot. On the "buy to own" downloads, you are restricted to the system it is downloaded to - believe me, I have managed to (after a heck of a lot of work) get stuff copied to another system, but the WMV system used is so DRM heavy that it is impossible to get it onto a DVD. It goes so blocky - VHS is actually far better.

The downloading/streaming model is still a pipedream.
20 years time - possibly. Not for the forseeable future though. The infrastructure just does not exist.

I have to agree with Neil on this one, I live 1 1/2 hour drive from the Atlantic, in the North East, about a dozen miles from a fairly large city....and if I didn't subscribe to Direct TV (dish) about 5 years ago, I would still be watching 3 networks and PBS. DSL ends back where the municipal sewer system does....
Those living in the megaburbs tend to think that all of the US is wired just the same, not so. John

I have to agree with Neil on this one, I live 1 1/2 hour drive from the Atlantic, in the North East, about a dozen miles from a fairly large city....and if I didn't subscribe to Direct TV (dish) about 5 years ago, I would still be watching 3 networks and PBS. DSL ends back where the municipal sewer system does....
Those living in the megaburbs tend to think that all of the US is wired just the same, not so. John

Perhaps you live way off the cable plant (in which case you've made a decision to go "off the grid" as far as some services go, not just cable), but the cable company serving your town has a full digital lineup and high-speed internet. A few of the towns near you are served by two cable companies - a very unusual situation.

York, PA is not the sticks, and it is wired. Regarding Neil's arguments, we're just at the beginning of the broadband era. To say that most of the world will never be wired is just plain Luddite. The pipes are being laid - South Korea is the most wired nation on earth, with the fastest Internet service and the highest penetration rate. Downloading of media is not practical? Tell that to the CD companies. If the movie studios are banking on physical media as the future, they'll soon be following them.

I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention, but I did see that HD DVD is set to release the Matrix trilogy. Maybe it's already too little too late though? I'm still watching on a standard def. tube t.v., by the time I get there someone will have won.

Warner has also announced plays to bring The Matrix films to Blu-Ray now that the 1.1 profile is available.

This is an interesting thread to read over from the start now that the "war" is over.

Back