Why Hasn't Pink Floyd's The Wall Been Reissued on Surround Sound SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ralph, you must be really worried about Animals because you have written this post at 3:30 in the morning!
I believe Ralph is talking about The Wall tapes as it’s been reported that the tape was very fragile and needed baking. I’m not technically up on these things but I don’t understand how The Wall and most other albums have been “remastered” multiple times in the past or has that nothing to do with the master tapes. How did mofi do an “original master recording” version on gold CD without the tapes that are in bad condition?
Damn it I’ve gone off topic again! Let Animals roam free Woger!

How did mofi do an “original master recording” version on gold CD without the tapes that are in bad condition?

While I am in no way in a position to know, it's entirely possible that the original multitracks (or some subset thereof) are on problematic tape while the final master stereo mixdown is not.

It's the multi tracks that are in bad shape, not the masters (used for remastering and such).

If you think about the level of production they were doing at the time. Aggressive editing. Mixing and splicing in segue sections all over the place. Just all around pushing it.
In the best of conditions, these tapes might have been in fragile condition. Come to find out the tape stock was flawed to begin with...

Fingers firmly crossed! (Maybe don't hold your breath on this one though.)

... in time for its 75th anniversary knowing the way things work when it comes to Pink Floyd.

I really think Guthrie gave up on the remix.........by now those multis have melted!

See the source image

Last edited:
Then why don't they go to the film soundtrack and tweak that up a bit and release THAT on an SACD? There are extra bits and pieces of songs on there, as well as "When the Tigers Broke Free", which is not on the LP (not that it's a great tune or anything. Sorta sounds like something from "The Final Cut")

Then why don't they go to the film soundtrack and tweak that up a bit and release THAT on an SACD? There are extra bits and pieces of songs on there, as well as "When the Tigers Broke Free", which is not on the LP (not that it's a great tune or anything. Sorta sounds like something from "The Final Cut")
And it's not like they wouldn't sell a bajillion copies.

For once, here's hoping you're wrong :)

I've been wrong MANY a time, Derek. Actually, I'm partial to the Wall Live in Berlin with all those wonderful guest stars. I have it on DVD somewhere. It's a gas.

51BdmgIUsEL.jpg

On July 21, 1990, Roger Waters delivered one of the most memorable rock events in history with an all-star line-up including Bryan Adams, Cyndi Lauper, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Sinead OConnor and the Scorpions just to name a few.

Last edited:
That’s too bad. The Wall has the potential to sound AMAZING in Surround. It’s too bad they didn’t make copies of Master Tapes back in the day. I’d settle for a first generation tape mix.

At the risk of getting banished from this site, speared by a pitch-fork carrying mob, and burned at the stake, I must say that I really don't like listening to The Wall. Yes, it's a great album, but I find it to be very depressing...probably exactly what Floyd intended to accomplish. But WTF, if they somehow manage to do it in surround I WILL BUY IT AND LISTEN TO IT ANYWAY. Heh, heh, heh, heeeeeeeeeeeh! :devilish::devilish::devilish: In the meantime, Animals beckons.

Back