Why is everyone so jazzed about ATMOS?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m surprised that you didn’t make a Smyth Realiser PRIR for your room. 🤔
Just haven't got 'round to it, and besides, the BBC room is with "the same" speakers anyway so...

A16, with current settings doesn't sound any different than the speakers/room.

Sweet! Which genelecs? All the same?
All 8020B, except the 13th "top" is an 6010A. Subs are 7050B. And there is a DBX crossover as the 7050Bs only have 5 crossovers each.

I have built passive mixing balanced XLR "Y" cables so the speakers can be fed from either my Marantz AV7704 or the computer audio interface (A16) without changing a bunch of cables. One side of the "Y" is ground lifted.

There is also a passive MIX2:1, on the center channel, to easily tweak center channel levels during playback of other's content.

Reactions: mkt
Wow, only 8lbs each! They are actives, correct? That seems crazy light. The smaller ATC SCM12i Pro passive monitors I'm using mounted on the ceiling required 1-1/2" thick very heavy duty K&M mounts imported from Germany. They weigh 33lbs each. The five SCM20 ASL Pro active monitors I'm using as bed loudspeakers weigh over 50lbs each.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 8.18.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 8.18.12 PM.png
    929.8 KB · Views: 29
Wow, only 8lbs each! They are actives, correct? That seems crazy light. The smaller ATC SCM12i Pro passive monitors I'm using mounted on the ceiling required 1-1/2" thick very heavy duty K&M mounts imported from Germany. They weigh 33lbs each. The five SCM20 ASL Pro active monitors I'm using as bed loudspeakers weigh over 50lbs each.
Active and made of metal. They seem way heavier than any other satellite speaker, of similar size, to me.

I have a really nice 5.1 system that I'm very happy with. I understand that all Atmos music blu rays downmix into 5.1 anyway. What I want to know is if I added two additional height speakers so I could achieve Atmos is it worth the investment? Abbey Road seems to be the benchmark. So for those who have done an a/b comparison between the 5.1 and Atmos mixes - does the difference warrant significant extra investment?

Well I think it clearly depends on the album @BKarloff much as it sometimes does for Atmos or DTS-X equipped movies. I'm not familiar with an Atmos mix for Abbey Road and I have only purchased a few Atmos music discs so far (but over 400 movies with Atmos or DTS-X Immersive Audio soundtracks!). However, if if we were discussing the astounding Blu-Ray "Pure Audio" Atmos disc for Yello's latest: Toy, then the answer would be a resounding YES!

The immersive audio mix for Toy uses the overhead loudspeakers as sources of musically and sonicly distinct parts of the surround mix in the same way it does the five bed loudspeakers and it is remarkable and demo-worthy. Unlike some of my other Atmos music discs where the height channels are used only to create an enhanced sense of space...

Last edited:
Couldn't resist (while looking for pics of my studio):
View attachment 77390

Here's mine. 13 genelec sats and two subs. #13 is top center and only used for Auro 3D. Atmos and DTS:X are 7.1.4. (subs are not really stereo):
View attachment 77391

This is madness! Why are so many speakers required?

This is their solution for the inability to use level panning for images placed to the sides?

I have been able to pan any sound to any position around the listener and hear it correctly without having to turn my head with only 4 speakers and Dolby Surround.

They are going backwards because they worship the god of discrete.

Well I think it clearly depends on the album @BKarloff much as it sometimes does for Atmos or DTS-X equipped movies. I'm not familiar with an Atmos mix for Abbey Road and I have only purchased a few Atmos music discs so far (but over 400 movies with Atmos or DTS-X Immersive Audio soundtracks!). However, if if we were discussing the astounding Blu-Ray "Pure Audio" Atmos disc for Yello's latest: Toy, then the answer would be a resounding YES!

The immersive audio mix for Toy uses the overhead loudspeakers as sources of musically and sonicly distinct parts of the surround mix in the same way it does the five bed loudspeakers and it is remarkable and demo-worthy. Unlike some of my other Atmos music discs where the height channels are used only to create an enhanced sense of space...

Thanks for this response. I own the surround sound version of Yellow's Point album but didn't realise there was a similar mix for Toy. Could you send a link as I can't see this on Discogs.

Has anyone else got views on whether - just for music, as I'm not interested in movies - it is worth upgrading to Atmos?

Thanks

I have a really nice 5.1 system that I'm very happy with. I understand that all Atmos music blu rays downmix into 5.1 anyway. What I want to know is if I added two additional height speakers so I could achieve Atmos is it worth the investment? Abbey Road seems to be the benchmark. So for those who have done an a/b comparison between the 5.1 and Atmos mixes - does the difference warrant significant extra investment?

"uses the overhead loudspeakers as sources of musically and sonicly distinct parts of the surround mix in the same way it does the five bed loudspeakers" Is really the essence of it for me. The same "Wow" factor of stereo vs. surround but now in more sources and in 3 dimensions.

If you can't visit an immersive system to experience for yourself you could try some headphone virtualization, to get a sense of immersive audio. Depending on how well a match the available models are for your head/ears, it could be a good simulation (minus head tracking).

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/surround-virtualization-for-headphones.29677/
If you are interested you can PM me for more details.

Thanks for this response. I own the surround sound version of Yellow's Point album but didn't realise there was a similar mix for Toy. Could you send a link as I can't see this on Discogs.

Has anyone else got views on whether - just for music, as I'm not interested in movies - it is worth upgrading to Atmos?

Thanks
DOOOOH!!! You are 100% correct BKarloff. My apparently addled 58 year old brain had mixed up my standard CD version of Toy with my more recent purchase of Point. The latter being the amazingly well produced BD Pure Audio Atmos album. Mind you my Toy CD features another of Yello's usual demo-worthy (stereo) productions too with a BIG soundstage and sharply placed images within it.

This is madness! Why are so many speakers required?

This is their solution for the inability to use level panning for images placed to the sides?

I have been able to pan any sound to any position around the listener and hear it correctly without having to turn my head with only 4 speakers and Dolby Surround.

They are going backwards because they worship the god of discrete.

You can’t pan above the 2D plane without speakers above the listening positon.. Whether you need 13 is debatable but 4 is not enough. I’d say another 4 heights at a minimum (8 in total) plus a sub if your speakers are small. Assuming you have spacial mixes or spacial upmixes as your source.

Thanks
I don't think it is worth upgrading to Atmos for The Beatles' Abbey Road, even though it is a fine mix. But I think it is worth 100% upgrading to Atmos for many other mixes, such as Kraftwerk's 3D Catalogue or Yello's Point or Air's 10000 Hz Legend. Beyond electronic music, Steven Wilson's Atmos mixes of The Tipping Point and In the Court of the Crimson King are beyond amazing. These are physical releases, and there are many more via streaming services. So, yes. If you have the opportunity, add 2 or 4 height speakers and you won't regret it.

If you are still undecided, buy one of the releases mentioned above. Yello and Air are relatively affordable. Then go to audition an atmos system in a store and decide.

Only one word comes to mind ....................... ludicrous !

I suspect the same comment was made, at one time, about:

• Stereo
  • Quad
  • Center channels
  • LFE
  • 7.1 v.s 5.1...

you get the idea.

I think you have to be open to checking it out, vs. pre judging.

Also Atmos is only one form of immersive, and it has multiple delivery mechanisms, not all of which are "12 speakers".

Besides Dolby Atmos for Headphones, there are products that use beamforming technology, etc. to deliver Atmos immersive from sound bars and other single or multiple box products.

Not Atmos, but maybe another way you could check out immersive sound is if you have access to VR (ambisonics is used, in that case). That experience is extra powerful as the visual and sonic queues are in sync as you turn you head/body and move around the VR environment (head tracking).

Back