Why is everyone so jazzed about ATMOS?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't agree more. 5.1 is all I could ever want or care about. I removed the two back speakers from my 7.1 system and it was a distinct improvement, especially with music.

I can see how overhead sounds might benefit certain movies, but I rarely watch those types of movies and I certainly don't want my music coming from up there.

I have been trying to figure this out myself. If Joe Average does not want a receiver, speakers, and player in the "living room" for stereo, let alone 5.1, why would he go all-in on 7.1 or 7.1.2 or 7.2.4 or whatever there is out there?

I can't figure that out, but if it ends up getting us more surround music, well, bring it on. We can always adapt it ourselves once it gets out there.

"What's all of this Bru-ha-ha about Dolby Atmos?
"Bru-ha-ha?"
"Ha-ha-ha!"

I'm increasingly skeptical, too. But initially, it seemed like there was reason to be optimistic, if only because of the testimony of Steve Genewick, both here on QQ and in a promotional documentary.

Maybe Atmos does indeed offer mind-blowing, revelatory possibilities for new frontiers in surround sound, assuming the mixing is done with art and care--and applied to the right kinds of materials. But it's not clear that that's what the record companies have in mind.

Nice to see your name at the start of a new thread, Bob!

Elliot Scheiner once said himself in an interview that 5.1 served music exceptionally well and the need for more speakers was superfluous. And both he and Steve Wilson were likewise befuddled by the need for a center channel for music since proper imaging of both front right and left speakers provided a more than adequate Phantom Center. ANY major complaints with D~V's stellar QUAD SACDs?

For movies [for which the CENTER channel was actually created], Atmos might be a plus ........ but for music in a home environment ........ a great 'novelty' perhaps but hardly, IMO, a necessity.

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this thread. Is this like the emperor has no clothes situation? I've never heard an atmos mix so cannot judge it but good point above if even stereo speakers are getting to be too much for most people why in the world do they think they will happily nail speakers to their ceiling and buy more electronic crap to pile up in the living room?

It just sounds like another gimmick to me. I never bought into any of that 7.1 tom-foolery simply because there's no actual need for more speakers. Just like anything 5.1 can do, Quad can do with less speakers and hardware. So you think it'd be the natural choice.

I can still remember when I had my high-fallutin' city job.... Boss comes to me in the morning and has a client that is right up my alley. Sound systems. Wants to do a 5.1 theatre-style surround sound house installation. Big money job. I was all for it.

Spent the better part of the day running wires, buying little professional looking mounts for the speakers, setting everything up.... I was about to run out to my car (which has a Sony SACD 4.0 setup) and grab a disc to show this guy what his new system can really do when he says "oh, don't bother. I've got a Beatles CD right here." And it was all MONO. But this doofus sits in the middle of the room and.... I shit you not.... he goes: "Man, you can really hear that 5.1 sound!"

*jaw hits floor*

All that money, all that time.... and he sits there listening to mono sources in 5.1 sound. Fucking Brilliant.

ATMOS sounds to me like just a slap in the face. The "record companies" are announcing this wonderful new system, sinking shitloads of money they don't have into it.... remixing from the multitracks!! Yet, they pretty much gave up on any new 5.1 releases (ok, up until recently) and releasing vintage Quad mixes has been like asking them to give up a billion dollars (again, up until recently - thanks D-V!)

I dunno. More new shit isn't what this world needs. Why not explore a market where most people already have the hardware in their homes - just provide more (and varied) software!! Don't just release 4 titles and say "Shit" and pull a fade. How does anybody think an idea is a failure before even giving it a chance to soar?

Audio Fidelity gave it the old college try. I think we can all safely say that without their attempt, I really don't know if D-V would've branched into Pop or Rock.
If say you look to D-V, that bird is soaring pretty high right now. And to any record exec who in the past has said "There's no market for it." I respond with: "Fuddle-Duddle-You!"

Last edited:
As MORE and MORE modern receivers offer up to 11:2 channels of amplification and a few esoteric [mostly classical] labels are offering 9 and 11 channels of music on BD~A ..... how much is ENOUGH?

Ironic, that the VAST majority of current artists can't see fit to conceive their albums for even 5.1! And will that change? Study HISTORY!

It just sounds like another gimmick to me. I never bought into any of that 7.1 tom-foolery simply because there's no actual need for more speakers. Just like anything 5.1 can do, Quad can do with less speakers and hardware. So you think it'd be the natural choice.

I can still remember when I had my high-fallutin' city job.... Boss comes to me in the morning and has a client that is right up my alley. Sound systems. Wants to do a 5.1 theatre-style surround sound house installation. Big money job. I was all for it.

Spent the better part of the day running wires, buying little professional looking mounts for the speakers, setting everything up.... I was about to run out to my car (which has a Sony SACD 4.0 setup) and grab a disc to show this guy what his new system can really do when he says "oh, don't bother. I've got a Beatles CD right here." And it was all MONO. But this doofus sits in the middle of the room and.... I shit you not.... he goes: "Man, you can really hear that 5.1 sound!"

*jaw hits floor*

All that money, all that time.... and he sits there listening to mono sources in 5.1 sound. Fucking Brilliant.

ATMOS sounds to me like just a slap in the face. The "record companies" are announcing this wonderful new system, sinking shitloads of money they don't have into it.... remixing from the multitracks!! Yet, they pretty much gave up on any new 5.1 releases (ok, up until recently) and releasing vintage Quad mixes has been like asking them to give up a billion dollars (again, up until recently - thanks D-V!)

I dunno. More new shit isn't what this world needs. Why not explore a market where most people already have the hardware in their homes - just provide more (and varied) software!! Don't just release 4 titles and say "Shit" and pull a fade. How does anybody think an idea is a failure before even giving it a chance to soar?

Audio Fidelity gave it the old college try. I think we can all safely say that without their attempt, I really don't know if D-V would've branched into Pop or Rock.
If say you look to D-V, that bird is soaring pretty high right now. And to any record exec who in the past has said "There's no market for it." I respond with: "Fuddle-Duddle-You!"

Great Story, Q, about the 'character' who auditioned his spankin' new surround system with a MONO Beatles' CD. Wonder if he EVER matriculated to discrete 5.1?

Yes, ATMOS is GREAT for DOLBY, the hardware manufacturers [speakers, players, etc.] and those engineers employed by Universal/DOLBY remixing those 'thousands' of tracks into ATMOS but will it have a longer shelf life than our niche 5.1/QUAD market over the long haul.

A Niche is a Niche and whether it remains a niche is anyone's guess at this early juncture.

What worries me is that although "More and More modern receivers offer up to 11:2 channels....", how many people do you actually know that have a receiver these days? I don't think I know of more than 2 people.

OLD FART RANT ALERT: [Back in the day, everyone I knew had a "stereo" in their living room, a lot of "rack systems" too. Turntable on top! :) ]

What worries me is that although "More and More modern receivers offer up to 11:2 channels....", how many people do you actually know that have a receiver these days? I don't think I know of more than 2 people.

OLD FART RANT ALERT: [Back in the day, everyone I knew had a "stereo" in their living room, a lot of "rack systems" too. Turntable on top! :) ]

Right on Jon.....they have SOUND BARS recreating 11:2 channels snuggled neatly below their awesome Flatcreen TVs......And the only thing flying around their room is popcorn left unattended while it's popping in their uncovered popcorn makers!

See the source image

I hate to be this way, but the comments seem to warrant my input...first off, I don't care if you don't like it or do. No need to complain and ruin it for people who do. I respect most opinions, but keep in mind, they are just that. Everyone has one. There are no facts here, just observations. Most of them negative. I don't think when quad started or 5.1 that there were hundreds of titles instantly available, much less every person enjoyed every one. Patience. But we as surround sound gurus and prime purchasers can probably do more harm in complaining than help. If you don't want it, don't get it. Please don't beat it up for people who do. By all means feel free to share an opinion, but I feel as if this is being unfairly bashed and beaten down. Also, the money involved really isn't that much more to add a pair of speakers. Basically any speaker works for this. It is not part of the premium sound we expect and enjoy, but more directional noise, imo. Ceiling mounted is ideal, but hell add a wedge under a pair of speakers to angle them to the ceiling and it is close enough to enjoy the separation. It is a gimmick, but to most people so is the other surround we enjoy. Hell, look at all the soundbars and the fake surround they try to produce. We are losing. Lets not help that any more than necessary by bashing Atmos. Maybe, just maybe, it will bring a few more people to our beloved surround sound family and gain us more influence over the distribution of old and new titles alike.

Sorry for ranting and pissing anyone off, but felt like someone had to reroute this conversation to the positive side a bit.

So true, Jon. Loved the day when it seemed like no matter who you visited, they had a ‘Sound System’ and it was such a blast listening to music together. Not anymore. Even when you have a system, and I have a decent one’, I don’t exactly have a ton of friends interested enuff to invite over for a listening session.

I hate to be this way, but the comments seem to warrant my input...first off, I don't care if you don't like it or do. No need to complain and ruin it for people who do. I respect most opinions, but keep in mind, they are just that. Everyone has one. There are no facts here, just observations. Most of them negative. I don't think when quad started or 5.1 that there were hundreds of titles instantly available, much less every person enjoyed every one. Patience. But we as surround sound gurus and prime purchasers can probably do more harm in complaining than help. If you don't want it, don't get it. Please don't beat it up for people who do. By all means feel free to share an opinion, but I feel as if this is being unfairly bashed and beaten down. Also, the money involved really isn't that much more to add a pair of speakers. Basically any speaker works for this. It is not part of the premium sound we expect and enjoy, but more directional noise, imo. Ceiling mounted is ideal, but hell add a wedge under a pair of speakers to angle them to the ceiling and it is close enough to enjoy the separation. It is a gimmick, but to most people so is the other surround we enjoy. Hell, look at all the soundbars and the fake surround they try to produce. We are losing. Lets not help that any more than necessary by bashing Atmos. Maybe, just maybe, it will bring a few more people to our beloved surround sound family and gain us more influence over the distribution of old and new titles alike.

Sorry for ranting and pissing anyone off, but felt like someone had to reroute this conversation to the positive side a bit.

Great point. Like I said, any development is better than no development at all. I hope it's a grand success. In fact, I've even created a special forum section (that's not ready to open yet) that will be dedicated to Atmos. Garry is coming up with an FAQ and we'll see how it goes.

Time will tell!

Whole-hearted +1
And I actually have an Atmos system and great titles (not to mention Auro-3D...)

Not trying to be negative here but for me 5.1 is more than enough. I’m tired of adding to my equipment list just to have the latest and greatest. Although I did just buy the new Technics SL 1200 MK7 turntable. It’s sweet. And it will play all my quad LPs. You kids do what you want.

Back