Why is everyone so jazzed about ATMOS?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am content with my four stacks of Advents with legacy quad equipment and I do have a Sony Blu Ray player to to play modern 5.1 stuff configured for four channels. It does sound fabulous to me and the tweeters in the top speakers are close to the ceiling so there is some height effect although I'm sure it isn't quite like Atmos.

I'm satisfied, though. It's still surround.

Doug

Split the difference with the setup mike? IDK. I wonder if he would hear it differently but then everyone does, don't they? The good thing is it's yours and you can set it up however it pleases you. ;)

EDIT: I meant to add that moving my audio gear to a bedroom from a larger room had some challenges but I worked through them. I know that's not always easy but I got lucky, I guess.
(The ceilings are the same height, but mine are slanted which sort of brings other challenges.)
Slanted ceilings are, acoustically speaking, a good thing because it means that at least two parts of your six sided box(I.e., your listening room)are not parallel.

I know that we all love being in the “sweet spot” and I also acknowledge that our listening rooms are (commonly) smaller than a commercial theater, however, it is clear that one’s experience of a musical event is affected by your seating location within the theater (with the contribution that your height would make likely relegated to being essentially trivial🤔).

Height, however, is a very important variable when producing a personalized HRTF measurement(a fact well known to people like me who use virtual listening rooms like the ones measured for use with the Smyth Realiser).

I am content with my four stacks of Advents with legacy quad equipment and I do have a Sony Blu Ray player to to play modern 5.1 stuff configured for four channels. It does sound fabulous to me and the tweeters in the top speakers are close to the ceiling so there is some height effect although I'm sure it isn't quite like Atmos.

I'm satisfied, though. It's still surround.

Doug
With the caveat being that, in order to more closely approximate an Atmos-like experience, your tweeters sitting close to the ceiling would ideally also be fed different discrete material relative to the speakers below. I don’t say that to in any way demean your listening setup. We, after all, more often than not, have to make compromises based on a variety of individual, real life parameters. I’m just saying that a physically two tiered 5.1 system, while fantastically wonderful and greatly enjoyable, cannot simulate Atmos any more than stereo can be simulated by double mono.

While there is a gold standard for Atmos (and Auro) setups that we can aspire to, it doesn’t diminish our satisfaction with and enjoyment of our less than perfect real world (or virtual) systems.

Last edited:
The nice thing about a good mono mix is the listener can't mess the listening experience up very easily. One speaker - no issues. According to Mark Linett that is one of the main reasons Brian Wilson did all of those early albums in mono. I really enjoy quad and jumped on board as soon as I could. But I still really enjoy listening to stuff like Sgt. Pepper & Pet Sounds in mono. I'm sure I would like the surround version also.

The nice thing about a good mono mix is the listener can't mess the listening experience up very easily. One speaker - no issues. According to Mark Linett that is one of the main reasons Brian Wilson did all of those early albums in mono. I really enjoy quad and jumped on board as soon as I could. But I still really enjoy listening to stuff like Sgt. Pepper & Pet Sounds in mono. I'm sure I would like the surround version also.
Brian was also deaf in one ear. The Pet Sounds mix in surround(I believe that it’s in 5.0) is nothing special.

Mono mixes also worked great for car radios and transistor radios; both were key for sales.

Come on guys, quit with all the excuses and such, ya sound just like the "stereo only" guys talking about any multich rigs.
There are some excellent compromises available, the SVS Prime Elevations like mine or many others can be mounted high on the side walls to great effect.
Get off y'all butts, pull out the wallets, and move forward.
Just cut back on the beer and ice cream budgets for a few months. ;)

But if your system doubles for movies as well (mine does) then the content is there. Regardless if you never listen to music mixed for ATMOS, it's a must have upgrade just for movies, the music is just icing on the cake.
That's the thing, I don't do movies...but obviously could. I find no enjoyment from them. Now, if it's a movie about music....I can do that.

I found surround sound by accident. I was not around for Quad, and had never heard of it. I was looking for new amp for my vinyl collection(just got into that). I again found Atmos by accident, just looking to upgrade Amp. I intended to make a thread with quick reviews/ summaries for a couple of Atmos and Auro3d discs(will do at some point). I see plenty are still on the fence. Not that I want to make money for Dolby, but it can be great when done right.

I become a lover of sound due to Stadium Arcadium vinyl. It blew me away and I discovered what the loudness wars were. Now I am a surround guy thank you Goed.

Come on guys, quit with all the excuses and such, ya sound just like the "stereo only" guys talking about any multich rigs.
There are some excellent compromises available, the SVS Prime Elevations like mine or many others can be mounted high on the side walls to great effect.
Get off y'all butts, pull out the wallets, and move forward.
Just cut back on the beer and ice cream budgets for a few months. ;)
You had me until you said to cut back on beer.

Talking of mono, what was the deal with duophonic? Was that some sort of simulation (or was it a recording technique Stereolab was using?)

It was a technique to turn mono recordings into "stereo" because stereo was THE big thing, back then.

Kind of like synthesized quad was/is in the original quad era and now.

Doug

Brian was also deaf in one ear. The Pet Sounds mix in surround(I believe that it’s in 5.0) is nothing special.

Mono mixes also worked great for car radios and transistor radios; both were key for sales.
According to Linett, whose interview I just re-read out of Surround Sound Professional and has worked with Wilson for many years, Brian's deafness was not a factor in why he chose to mix in mono. Linett stated it was 1) Brian's admiration of Phil Spector, 2) AM radio was the most used format for the listening experience at that time and 3)you can't mess up a carefully done mono mix - one speaker - no worries. I assume that Linett and Wilson discussed the subject since they were working together on mixes.

Some folks back in that time period were not concerned with setting up their stereo system appropriately - one speak in one room, the other in an adjoining room; one speaker in front of a couch, the other in a corner of the room, etc. I have actually seen this and it never ceased to amaze me. When questioned the individual would not be all that concerned that they were not getting the full mix represented as the artist intended.

And you're quite correct about the sales factor. With most record players teens might have at the time having one built-in speaker (cars being the same) having a mix that sounded great through that one speaker was paramount.

According to Linett, whose interview I just re-read out of Surround Sound Professional and has worked with Wilson for many years, Brian's deafness was not a factor in why he chose to mix in mono. Linett stated it was 1) Brian's admiration of Phil Spector, 2) AM radio was the most used format for the listening experience at that time and 3)you can't mess up a carefully done mono mix - one speaker - no worries. I assume that Linett and Wilson discussed the subject since they were working together on mixes.

Some folks back in that time period were not concerned with setting up their stereo system appropriately - one speak in one room, the other in an adjoining room; one speaker in front of a couch, the other in a corner of the room, etc. I have actually seen this and it never ceased to amaze me. When questioned the individual would not be all that concerned that they were not getting the full mix represented as the artist intended.

And you're quite correct about the sales factor. With most record players teens might have at the time having one built-in speaker (cars being the same) having a mix that sounded great through that one speaker was paramount.
I agree 100%. BTW, I didn't mean to imply that Brian's deafness was the reason to mix in mono, rather, I just meant to state it as an aside. Mono was all about radio play.

Bassist extraordinaire Marcus Miller is also deaf in one ear (and then there's percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie, Beethoven, etc.). And while Brian is deaf in one ear, his father, Murry Wilson, was blind in one eye. 🤷‍♂️ OK, enough sensory trivia.

More than one musician thought the mono mix was/is the correct one, John Lennon, for example. They were/are, quite simply, wrong.

Doug

Back