Why is music so much better LOUD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how you spell “difficiency” like “defecate;” gave me a chuckle(not that there’s anything really funny about a hearing difficiency).

Your usual audiologist is only concerned that you can hear in the speech related frequencies which, of course, is a much lower bar compared to the frequency range for music. You don’t appear to have any trouble with listening to speech.

Tinnitus is neurologic and, unfortunately, there’s not a lot that can be done for that. 😟

My wife would probably be happy if I had my ears cleaned out everyday. 😉
Aha, I had a hard time spelling difficiency, my spell check wouldn't seem to pick it up. :p

One thing to watch out for is hyperacusis. If you accidentally clang a cup and a plate together or something like that that causes a particular frequency to jump out at a certain volume and it hurts your ears, anytime I'm doing the dishes and plates clang together it seems to send a shooting pain into my ears
:unsure:
A perfect excuse for avoiding the dish washing area
:ROFLMAO:

I had gone to a local business to see about getting my sister new hearing aids....the guy that owns this shop isn't an audiologist...he is much better...I was fascinated listening to him discuss some cutting aid approaches to hearing devices over the conventional hearing aids of past...I mentioned tinnitus and all the internet "remedies" that claim to cure it...and he informed me that there was a way to make it a non factor...he has tinnitus and it no longer bothers him...with these newer over the ear hearing "aids"...you can mask the tinnitus signal....I spent 90 minutes with him....months ago....he is an older guy that is retired and got involved with hearing devices because of his own problems....
I have a friend who watches television with the AC on. The AC masks the tinnitus signal so that he’s able to hear the dialogue.

Absolutely Derek, and good to hear from you.
In construction, sometimes like hitting metal hammer to metal iron for breaking concrete there is a ping sound that just max vibrates my ears.

Yeah, that'll do it! Same goes for some of the bells at the start of Time by Pink Floyd - some of them are really triggering when I'm listening to the album at boogie volume.

Just saw your post count: 4,000+ Wow! Glad to see you're doing well (on QQ and hopefully in real world as well) :)

If you accidentally clang a cup and a plate together or something like that that causes a particular frequency to jump out at a certain volume and it hurts your ears, then that could hyperacusis. I can't say for sure whether I have it but anytime I'm doing the dishes and plates clang together it seems to send a shooting pain into my ears, especially, I think, my left ear.
That's the lamest excuse to get out of doing the dishes I ever heard.
I'll have to try it.. LOL

I am eyeing another set of speakers. I got a DAC upgrade and didn't feel like I heard everything that it can do for the sound. I need new and better speakers. I'll end up buying used likely to save 60% off the cost.

So I am reading reviews and user comments. And if anyone says bass shy, or for that matter muted highs, I really start to think it's not a model for me. Of course, I read more than one set of comments or one review. But I am seeing lots of folks feel the bass coming from their Polk Towers is not good enough without a sub. I need good loud bass that needs no sub to hear and feel its presence.

If anyone here has a pair of higher-end Polk Towers that handle bass and are good and clean at loud levels please tell me the model number so I can keep a lookout on CL for a pair.

Last edited:
Lord knows I love me some loud music too, but only if the audio system is up to the task. If the sound is peaky & distorted, I'd just as soon turn it down; but if it's smooth & clear, then oh hell yeah, louder is better!

Come to think, audio systems are really kinda like people in this regard. That is, there are some who look better & better with less & less clothing, and then there's the rest of us. :oops: [ Insert "bloated midrange" joke here ]

But I am seeing lots of folks feel the bass coming from their Polk Towers is not good enough without a sub. I need good loud bass that needs no sub to hear and feel its presence.
Sometimes what we want and reality are at odds. And a lot depends on what you consider "good loud bass". ;)
For a set of speakers to really crank good bass, you want extension at least down to 30hz which will require size and power.
High efficiency can work hand in hand to help accomplish both goals.
Subwoofers go a long way to ease the demand on the main speakers in size and price
Assuming buying used for the best pricing, what's your budget like

I am eyeing another set of speakers. I got a DAC upgrade and didn't feel like I heard everything that it can do for the sound. I need new and better speakers. I'll end up buying used likely to save 60% off the cost.

So I am reading reviews and user comments. And if anyone says bass shy, or for that matter muted highs, I really start to think it's not a model for me. Of course, I read more than one set of comments or one review. But I am seeing lots of folks feel the bass coming from their Polk Towers is not good enough without a sub. I need good loud bass that needs no sub to hear and feel its presence.

If anyone here has a pair of higher-end Polk Towers that handle bass and are good and clean at loud levels please tell me the model number so I can keep a lookout on CL for a pair.
I have 3 subs with my matched Polk 7.1 system (4 towers in the system, 2 front and 2 back). It sounds fantastic. I would wager that 99% of speakers cannot plumb the depths with authority like my system does.

If folks haven’t read about the Fletcher-Munson curve (and the other varients), they should to understand how the human ear can be tricked.

It should be mandatory that when people pontificate on the sound quality of a particular release or version of any recording they need to include the volume at which they listen.

I know from personal experience, initially I almost always think the louder one is better - if even by only a dB or two - until I adjust volume to level match the versions (as best I can since differences in EQ, compression, limiting make it impossible to be perfect) at a moderately loud volume.

Once I do this, the lost visceral impact of over-compressed/limited versions and the missing middle (where the musical magic actually is) of overly smiley-faced EQ becomes readily apparent. And often what seemed the best version at first glance becomes the worst version.

What masquerades as “detail and hearing things I’ve never heard before” and “awesome bass” becomes “no energy, fatiguing, and where’s the natural sound” and “indistinct, boomy bass”.

I have 3 subs with my matched Polk 7.1 system (4 towers in the system, 2 front and 2 back). It sounds fantastic. I would wager that 99% of speakers cannot plumb the depths with authority like my system does.
I agree. I seem to listen at about 60db, which is a comfortable spot for me. When I am feeling good, 70db seems to be a good loud zone. I also have 3 subs but one of them is connected High frequency cable only to back of my center speaker, no LFE. I was thinking of adding another, same foot print as the one used for center, and stack it under that sub for stereo subs, LFE.
When I treated my room with corner bass traps and side panels and rear diffusers, that made the biggest difference I have ever heard, not that expensive and super big bang for the buck.

I likely will never do this, but we all think of stuff, right?
I have my front two main speakers B&W, I like rock music and I thought it would be cool while listening to stereo rock music to have a pair of Kplisch Heresy IV speakers. I had a pair of those in the 90's and man, they really kicked ass with loud rock music.
But seems like a lot of hassle to change speakers for genre of music, I have never done that but I have heard of people that do.

Back