Why We Collect

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Since the two people comparing notes here (Jon Caramanica and Hua Hsu) are both prominent music writers--and music collectors--I think this podcast will speak to a lot of QQ'ers. . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/11/arts/music/popcast-collecting.html
If you know a collector, you know about how collections are more than just agglomerations of items. They are stores of history, stores of emotion. They have a representational value that often far exceeds their literal financial value.

They also take up space, physical and mental. They are often private ventures, not public displays. They scratch very personal itches in ways that are often invisible to anyone else.

Music collections are usually intensely personal things of great power and import, but they mean largely nothing to anyone else who isn’t carrying the same emotional baggage. Can there be anything less interesting than someone else’s record collection (apart from their holiday photos of course)? Hence why most record collections get chucked away after we die. Sic transit gloria mundi.

.... Can there be anything less interesting than someone else’s record collection (apart from their holiday photos of course)? ...
I'm not sure about that. While I may not be interested in examining your collection knowing that your tastes are very different from mine (your collection is mainly classical), I would probably enjoy looking through collections of those whose musical taste are closer to mine (rock and pop). That doesn't mean I would want to keep them physically, just peruse through them.

Music collections are usually intensely personal things of great power and import, but they mean largely nothing to anyone else who isn’t carrying the same emotional baggage. Can there be anything less interesting than someone else’s record collection (apart from their holiday photos of course)? Hence why most record collections get chucked away after we die. Sic transit gloria mundi.
:unsure: Gloria Mundi suffers from travel sickness? Never was any good with languages :ROFLMAO:

I collect music because I want to be able to listen to any song that I like whenever I want to hear it, and I don't ever want to not be able listen to it in the future. However, I must admit, there is also an addictive nature to collecting as well.

I collect for two reasons:
- I want to be able to hear that piece of music whenever want.
- I like the quadraphonic placement of the parts.

Some older movies have been edited for content for some of the streaming services, so far, I haven't heard about any editing for content of older music (from streaming services), but, (IMHO), it could happen due to Political Correctness concerns.

Although not a concern when I began buying albums (1972-06) and singles (1971-07), I continue to buy physical copies of albums because they can't be edited once I own them.

Lately, I have purchased several singles (mp3s) from Amazon (songs I hear on the radio or YouTube streaming services), I don't subscribe to any (audio only) streaming services [I get HBOmax free w/AT&T Fiber].

I back up my PC content at least once a month (includes saved mp3s).

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for a place to share this:

Well, I definitely feel worse about the future of music (and streaming specifically) now that I've viewed it, but all good points and probably all valid. Well most of us have been collectors and we will be fine but not so much for future music lovers. Of course, as long as downloads are available there will be some model for ownership and thus the preservation of music. One could also argue that the way computer files are passed around and shared, music is being propagated more now than ever. As long as someone saves the file somewhere it will always be floating around out there on the internet.

Here is a final thought. If music ownership is ever completely removed (even with regards to downloads), will that mean our massive collections will become more valuable over time? :unsure:

Back