Why We Collect

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I just keep the stuff I like which is a bit of a problem sometimes cause I remember my boss at the time, a Mexican in Madrid, LOVED PTree and he lent me The Sky moves sideways and I did NOT like it...it wasn't until I came to the QQ club (hmmm, we should have a MEMBERSHIP CARD!!!..and maybe a Credit Card with discounts in places like Burning Shed...please stop me, it's a dangerous train of thought!!!) when I listened to Lightbulb Sun and I went.. WAIT..THAT is COOL!!!

Anyways...WHY WE COLLECT...hmmm...funny this thread should pop up a few weeks before my planned trip to Madrid to RESCUE my collection which I think is close to 1,000 LPs and who knows how many DVDAs, SACDs, movies on DVD, LDs..gonna have to get all my LPs and discs I want to send over here and leave a rest of shit I am sure I have.. a rusty Yamaha BX-5 bass guitar, a non functioning Roland D-10 (the buttons don't work.. you know, those PCBoards that die after a while...), a couple of rack units... oh , man I don't even want to THINK about it...books, magazines, photos...

so, WHY DO WE COLLECT??? INDEED!!!!
kap'n, it's soley because you have to ship a f ton of stuff from Spain. 1000 LP's. Wow! When I went in the Army we had about 300. Almost all were destroyed by mold from a leaky closet. Washing and discwasher only revived a few. At the time I thought 300 LP's was awesome!
But 1000. Wow!

Just wanted to mention that sometimes wd40 or electrical contact cleaner or both does wonders. I revived several Video cards with the substances.
WD40 is pretty much harmless, won't short anything. I usually follow up a good spraydown with the oil-less contact cleaner.

kap'n, it's soley because you have to ship a f ton of stuff from Spain. 1000 LP's. Wow! When I went in the Army we had about 300. Almost all were destroyed by mold from a leaky closet. Washing and discwasher only revived a few. At the time I thought 300 LP's was awesome!
But 1000. Wow!

Just wanted to mention that sometimes wd40 or electrical contact cleaner or both does wonders. I revived several Video cards with the substances.
WD40 is pretty much harmless, won't short anything. I usually follow up a good spraydown with the oil-less contact cleaner.
Mind you , these are basically ALL of my LPs that I had bought since I was a KID and of course, cleaned them and gave them a lot of TLC (..and some THC too!!! LOL!) so I am looking forward to reclaiming them...maybe it's not a THOUSAND but I am sure they are VERY CLOSE to being a thousand...

Mind you , these are basically ALL of my LPs that I had bought since I was a KID and of course, cleaned them and gave them a lot of TLC (..and some THC too!!! LOL!) so I am looking forward to reclaiming them...maybe it's not a THOUSAND but I am sure they are VERY CLOSE to being a thousand...

So I am genuinely curious, what is the best way to bring 1000 lps home? (Carry on? :ROFLMAO:)

I hear ya. I'm sure more than a few of mine have/had some chemical residue as well!

So I am genuinely curious, what is the best way to bring 1000 lps home? (Carry on? :ROFLMAO:)
Same as Minnie's boys...
eb8e2d9f19af8e080f4d358f949079be.jpg

Last edited:
Same as Minnie's boys...
eb8e2d9f19af8e080f4d358f949079be.jpg
I was just telling my great friend in MO that I was gonna go get em and he calculated the time I was gonna be there so I could digitize them and I told him MOST of them were already in my HDs in 96/24...
What do I love more than listening to my rips?...
HOLDING IN MY HAND THE JACKET of the album I am listening to at the same time I am listening to that rip...

¡OOOOOooolé!!!!

Last edited:
I was just telling my great friend in MO that I was gonna go get em and he calculated the time I was gonna be there so I could digitize them and I told him MOST of them were already in my HDs in 96/24...
What do I live more than listening to my rips?...
HOLDING IN MY HAND THE JACKET of the album I am listening to at the same time I am listening to that rip...

¡OOOOOooolé!!!!
Personally, I’d rather listen to the vinyl. I reinvested in vinyl and a turntable last September and I’ll be damned if I’m going to digitize my sizable collection that I acquired. When I go through the process to play a vinyl record, it reminds me of the good old days when I had to work to hear music. 😂

Personally, I’d rather listen to the vinyl. I reinvested in vinyl and a turntable last September and I’ll be damned if I’m going to digitize my sizable collection that I acquired. When I go through the process to play a vinyl record, it reminds me of the good old days when I had to work to hear music. 😂
yes, but like you said, we are living in the best of times (Thank you Dennis!) regarding music...we have the technology to make him faster!!! (and to get rid of the clicks while enjoying that ear tingling goodness vinyl adds...)... God Bless Surround... and Izotope RX! oops, sorry I did not want to get religious ...well, María Reina does not get upset when you call Her God!

I have several thousand recordings. I would say that:
35 % are LPs
25 % are 45s
15% are 78s
25% are CDs

I have every record I ever owned except a few that were broken or duplicates I gave away.

One reason I have so many 45s is that I used to service jukeboxes and I got to keep some of the records that were taken out.

well, I just keep the stuff I like which is a bit of a problem sometimes cause I remember my boss at the time, a Mexican in Madrid, LOVED PTree and he lent me The Sky moves sideways and I did NOT like it...it wasn't until I came to the QQ club (hmmm, we should have a MEMBERSHIP CARD!!!..and maybe a Credit Card with discounts in places like Burning Shed...please stop me, it's a dangerous train of thought!!!) when I listened to Lightbulb Sun and I went.. WAIT..THAT is COOL!!!

Anyways...WHY WE COLLECT...hmmm...funny this thread should pop up a few weeks before my planned trip to Madrid to RESCUE my collection which I think is close to 1,000 LPs and who knows how many DVDAs, SACDs, movies on DVD, LDs..gonna have to get all my LPs and discs I want to send over here and leave a rest of shit I am sure I have.. a rusty Yamaha BX-5 bass guitar, a non functioning Roland D-10 (the buttons don't work.. you know, those PCBoards that die after a while...), a couple of rack units... oh , man I don't even want to THINK about it...books, magazines, photos...

so, WHY DO WE COLLECT??? INDEED!!!!
Hey Kap’n, while you’re in Madrid can you get me a Nachocaster LOL!

When I started this thread, it didn’t occur to me that folks would naturally hear the title as a question, only that they might identify with some of what Hsu and Caramanica had to say. For my part, I gotta confess that as much as I like their writing, I was bored with the dudes’ conversation after just a couple of minutes. But it’s been a lot more interesting to read some of the posts in this thread and to see & hear about people’s collections, their history with collecting, and (to take issue with @Doug G.), their philosophical and psychological investment in collecting.
  • @marpow: I hope your new listening room has focused curative multi-channel vibes on the coronavirus coursing through your body.
  • @jimfisheye: you got a shareable spreadsheet with your comparative notes on all those competing masterings? (It might save me a lot of thread-digging at SHF... )
  • @boondocks: I hereby volunteer to be your emergency backup executor, on behalf of the entire QQ community, if for any reason your official designee is unable to fulfill their appointed duties.
  • @kap'n krunch: I hope the S.S. Guppy and its precious cargo have safe passage on their journey to the New World, and that La Migra doesn’t give them any grief when they reach these shores.
As for Ted Gioia: yeah, he’ll never be a YouTube star (I stopped watching and just listened), but he’s another fine music writer, and that video is both a good history lesson and a good opinion piece.

And as for philosophy and psychology (Warning! Now moving into professor mode!): those who have the patience and/or who dig music writing might be more interested in this recent essay by New York Times film critic A.O. Scott, “Shelf Life: Our Collections and the Passage of Time.” (I recently learned from another QQ member about “gift” articles, so that link should work even if you’re not a Times subscriber.) I dug it in part because like Scott, I’m a member of “Generation Jones” who can see himself in the dying Gen-X graphic novelist character in Joachim Trier’s The Worst Person in the World, who “rhapsodiz[es] about the record, comic-book and video emporiums he used to frequent,” trying to “convey their magic and meaning to a millennial whose primary experience of shopping is likely to consist of clicking on an icon rather than rifling through bins.”

“I know that feeling,” says Scott. “I miss that feeling. But it may not, at bottom, have much to do with music or books or movies at all.” What does it have to do with? Not nostalgia, exactly, Scott argues, but rather “a longing to arrest and reverse the movement of time, to recover some of the ardor and bewilderment of youth.” In short: a “fear of dying.” I find that ultimate conclusion a little corny—and facile. I think he’s on firmer ground, though, when he talks in more general terms about collections as “the objects and gadgets that form the infrastructure of memory.”

"The digitization of culture—the abstraction of all those beautiful things into streams and algorithms—feels to many of us like a permanent loss," he says, speaking for collectors everywhere (and for several members on another active QQ thread). "What kind of a loss can be hard to specify, since there is also clearly a benefit." Namely? Well, what we all concede about the streaming universe: convenience, accessibility, having the entirety of cinematic and musical history at our fingertips, often for free, or at least for a relative pittance. So “[w]hy isn’t this consoling? [And w]hy do I, like so many of my colleagues, mourn the passing of things that aren’t even dead?” That is: yes, movies are dying. So are physical media. But "that may only be to say that the technologies of cultural consumption are always changing, and that the art forms that flow through them tend to wax and wane in unpredictable cycles. People continue to read, watch, listen, browse and seek out not only distraction and diversion, but also sources of meaning and connection. Young people tend to do so with a special avidity, sometimes as if their lives were at stake."

Right now it’s us Boomers and X-ers who are mourning the end of our accustomed ways of consuming culture. Our loss is real, and maybe the lost ways we're mourning are truly even objectively better in certain regards. But “Gen Z,” Scott says, “will surely have its turn before long, even if its characteristic cultural pursuits don’t seem to be manifested in physical objects.”

Last edited:

Just a note of caution, WD40's own website does not recommend the use of ordinary WD40 as a contact cleaner-

wd40.JPG

Just a note of caution, WD40's own website does not recommend the use of ordinary WD40 as a contact cleaner-

View attachment 80457
Yes, but I did not recommend it specifically for cleaning electrical contacts, although I suppose it could be taken that way.
It's more or less an inert cleaner, helping to rid dirt/dust/whatever buildup and to displace water.
That is why I also said I often follow up with the electrical contact cleaner, depending on what I'm trying to clean.
...and I have in fact right now a can of WD-40's contact cleaner as well.
The WD-40 has revived several graphics boards for me, which don't have any exposed contacts that I know of, and is why I gave that as an example.
(graphics boards, I discovered, where else, on YouTube, sometimes fail because something gets in between the traces)
kap'n's a smart guy, I don't believe I confused him.
But I appreciate your follow up to clarify, @Soundfield.

One of the issues that comes with collecting physical media is how (and where) to store it. The sheer volume taken up by my vinyl collection means that it has spent YEARS in shipping boxes the last two times I moved. I’m actively building storage shelves in my listening room, but I’ve been in this house for three years and in an inadequate temporary apartment one year before we bought this place, so the LPs remain buried in a storage room, and not available for spinning.

The picture in my avatar was taken about ten years ago, shortly after I bought two sets of wire-rack shelves and put them up in my basement in Virginia. The records had been in shipping boxes for four or five years before that. I hope the space allotted in my new build is adequate, but honestly, it’s hard to say. Fortunately, I probably won’t be doing a lot of new vinyl purchases in the foreseeable future, both because I already have almost all of what I know I want, and because the new stuff is available in a less volumetric intense format.

Putting things away means you have to have an “away” in which to put them. 😡

• @kap'n krunch: I hope the S.S. Guppy and its precious cargo have safe passage on their journey to the New World, and that La Migra doesn’t give them any grief when they reach these shores.
Thank you so much...yeah, I gotta make sure any kind of THC trace is gone from any of my boxes (I used to GROW it every year!!!)

And I hope you are OK cause this last post sounds like you are saying "See you later", I truly appreciate your posts!!!

Thank you so much...yeah, I gotta make sure any kind of THC trace is gone from any of my boxes (I used to GROW it every year!!!)

And I hope you are OK cause this last post sounds like you are saying "See you later", I truly appreciate your posts!!!

Nah--it's all good, kap, but thanks for asking; I'm on the right side of the dirt and hope to be for a long time yet! Just thinking about the passing of the years, like so many of us. So much music, so little time. . . .

Back