HiRez Poll Widespread Panic - DON'T TELL THE BAND [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Widespread Panic - DON'T TELL THE BAND

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and/or comments on this disc (y) :phones (n)

The music on this one is quite good a 9, and the surround mix is good also about a 8. I had never heard of them before i got this one and was quite surprised at how good it was.
If you get this one, don't forget to listen to the bonus tracks, they are live, which at first i thought oh well, the mix will probably be band in the front speakers, and crowd in the rears. But to my surprise the live surround mix was very good, kinda like a 70's quad sound, very full and using all the speakers.
So my final rating on this one would be 9. (y)

One more thing i would like to mention is i bought their other DVD-A {Ball} and didn't care as much for the music {might just be me though}, so i sold that one. But this one is definately a keeper.

Widespread Panic are one of my favorite perpetual "new discoveries". although they've been around for closing in on 20 years, I've only been aware of them for the last five years or so. I must say that I find their music consistently satisfying. Comparisons to Grateful Dead and other "jam bands" are often made, but Widespread Panic stand solidly on their own with consistently great songwriting, musicianship and performance. Sure, their forte is live performances, but their studio skills are equally (if not more) solid.

"Don't Tell The Band" continues a tradition of finely crafted and musically solid studio efforts. This album is an absolute joy to listen to from start to finish. The Silverline surround mix, while very good, does not manage to capitalize on its inherent potential. While very satisfying to listen to, one cannot help but wonder how much better it could have been if left in more capable hands.

This DVD-A is very pleasurable to listen to but it very easily could have been a masterpiece. Thank you Silverline for taking a 10 and giving us an 8.

:eek:

I think this disc is great, my first experience with this band. I wasn't surprised to see it is held in high regard here. I also picked up "Ball" but haven't listened to it yet. If Silverline could have done this well each time, their reputation would be very good. A terrific album and a pretty good surround treatment in my opinion. I have never heard a Grateful Dead album this good, the only group that quickly comes to mind as a comparison.

Chris

Well, I can see I was the least impressed. I'm a huge fan of WSP, and had this one on CD first. I listen to the DTS track for the best sound. Not worth the move from CD except for the videos. Gave it a 5.

There's a good mix on this one, and its still available at all the usual places for next to nothing.....

I need to have another listen to the live material, but it seems good also...

If you get this one, don't forget to listen to the bonus tracks, they are live, which at first i thought oh well, the mix will probably be band in the front speakers, and crowd in the rears. But to my surprise the live surround mix was very good, kinda like a 70's quad sound, very full and using all the speakers.
So my final rating on this one would be 9. (y)

I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments - I wish live concert Blu-rays were mixed like this..... Guitar over your shoulder in Left Rear, very nice (y)..

Recently rescued and replayed this one from the island of rarely played DVD-As. Although being a Silverlight creation, it generally rises above their general mix disappointment so I gave it an 8. I especially like the percussion being isolated a lot in the rears since there is a lot of percussive diversity.

Back