Widespread Panic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
There are 2 Widespread Panic DVD-A’s available now; “Don’t Tell The Band” and “Ball”. They are both on Silverline (a chill of dread just went down my back). However, Sound and Vision magazine has reviewed the sound quality of “Ball” as a 4 out of 5. Does anyone have either one (or both of these)? I have been thinking of getting “Ball” but I got burned badly already on “Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac” disc which was also reviewed as jaw dropping and the only thing that dropped on that one was my money, never to be seen again.

I have "Ball" and based on it I will probably get "don't tell the band". The sonics and surround mix are good, but pale in comparison to anything by Scheiner or say John Kellog. I am a "spreadhead", so for me it's a no-brainer. I would probably compare "Ball" to the Van Zant Brothers' discs. Hope that helps some.

GaryW said:
I have "Ball" and based on it I will probably get "don't tell the band". The sonics and surround mix are good, but pale in comparison to anything by Scheiner or say John Kellog. I am a "spreadhead", so for me it's a no-brainer. I would probably compare "Ball" to the Van Zant Brothers' discs. Hope that helps some.

Thanks Gary. True to my normal mode of operation I picked it up before getting answer to my question. Anyway, you are right about it not being a masterpiece sonically, but it is better than a lot of stuff out there and is definately in the top 20% of the Silverline titles. It's better sonically than a lot of the current stuff coming out like for instance, The Thorns. Considerbly better and various quite wildly on a track by track basis. As well, I am liking it a lot musically. I will probably pick up "Don't Tell The Band" as well. It was there but I wanted to try this one first. I hope they have done as good a job with that one as they did with this one.

[QUOTE = "Guy Robinson, příspěvek: 20673, člen: 14"]
Díky Gary. Věrný svému normálnímu provoznímu režimu jsem to vyzvedl, než jsem dostal odpověď na mou otázku. V každém případě máte pravdu v tom, že to není zvukově mistrovské dílo, ale je to lepší než spousta věcí a rozhodně je v horních 20% titulů Silverline. Je to zvukově lepší než spousta současných věcí, jako je například The Thorns. Podstatně lepší a různorodé na různých tratích. Také se mi to hodně líbí po hudební stránce. Pravděpodobně také vyzvednu „Don't Tell The Band“. Bylo to tam, ale chtěl jsem nejprve vyzkoušet tento. Doufám, že s touto odvedli stejně dobrou práci jako s touto.
[/CITÁT]

Mix "Ball" se může v určitých dobách zdát trochu diskrétní, ale přední přední kanály jsou příliš hlasité na obklopení, takže jednotlivé efekty jsou nečitelné. Silverline opět zvolil metodu, kdy spálili hlasitost u předních sloupků, a tak zabrzdili kouzlo diskrétní směsi. Fronty musí být ztlumené.

Back