Will Atmos go away in a couple years?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the name of this thread
I HOPE SO.

Regarding the latest batch of music.....compare 1969 to 2022

Try it between 1962- 1973

Anyway I will get back to my Perry Como records now

Don't worry about popular

In fact, avoid that at all costs

i am nearly 70 now,i love all my old toons and can testify that there is enough "new" music/artists across all genres that i will be dead long before i even scratch the surface

i admit that

Also,i am somehow discovering music that somehow slipped by me decades ago
I am just going to reply to original post.
As many know I have been all 5.1 starting around 1992 with my Phillips surround set up and the added Kplisch sub, to play those glorious Laser Discs, they had a Laser Disc store on Noriega, God was I addicted to going there.
Been listening to surround music since 2014 and am listening daily to either, 2.0, 4.0, 5.1 and Dolby Atmos, love it all.
If Atmos falls by the wayside it will take quite a while, it will not be abrupt.
Will I care, I haven't really cared so far. I am more concerned about quality of recordings leaving us than anything else.
YES

That GD compression drives me bonkers

Got to say, the actual sound of the demo - which was limited to 5.1 - was very good. It certainly was not like those wretched kids on the lawn. It was that glorious neutral sound that I know and love from Anthem and their ARC. In retrospect, I am not sure the Krix wall of sound (something like this MX-5 | Krix ) quite delivers the desired level of left/centre/right separation. But that's for far more expertised people than myself to debate!

When you guys self refer as old farts; I only have one thing to say. Thank you. If I ever run into any of you, my shout. None of this stuff would be in the state it is without the technical battles, inventions and solutions of previous generations of audio lovers. My father was the age of era of most of you - he did the punch cards, early computers and played a little in the hi-fi space a little in the 1970's but then life got in the way. I am "young enough" to still hear slightly above 15kHz. It's marvelous where we are now - what an era to be alive. I can and will switch from The Beatles to Dua Lipa... cause I can :)

Entirely with the above posts on the bells and whistles issue with equipment. I am happy to leave the gadgets and smarts external to the AV receiver. I really want an AV receiver to receive bits and do the right thing into whatever channels are present; including Atmos. That's hard enough. I think of AV receivers as needing to do a base DAC role and do it amazingly. I still think we underestimate Atmos; it seems a really well thought out format - it would be a loss for all of us if it were to go (which I still think unlikely in the next ten years). Ever since that Atmos channel test thread, I have been a believer in the format.

If the worst case scenario eventuates of Atmos disappearing (which I think is on the cards for Sony 360RA) our challenge is clear. We acquire and retain original files; and also do conversions to whatever format has the most support at the time. It is already easy enough with foobar and a couple of plugins to convert Atmos to 5.1. I believe that with the advantages of the digital era, including cheap mass data storage (and backups); we will retain Atmos mixes. One way or another, Atmos will survive.

Atmos will have to wait for me, though, part cost but also the existing Anthem MRX710 changed my world after the already excellent Denon AVR3312... I cannot forsake you, my precious MRX710... :)

Re: Misappropriation of thongs; I think the Americans did it; and that Sisqo dude back in 1999. . I am not watching that video; not my cup of tea.

Also, the latest ads here at quadraphonicquad are trying to sell me women's undergarments. Unless they know something about me that I do not; this is strange.

I donno--I grew up in the American midwest in the 60s and 70s, and we called those sandals thongs. (And we distinguished between "rubber thongs"--the cheap plastic kind you bought for a buck or two at the dimestore--and "leather thongs," which might actually last for more than one summer vacation.) I don't remember the term being used for a type of underwear--which everyone I knew quickly and derisively referred to as butt floss--till the 90s.
https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/08
Now, to get this thread back on track, sort of: no, Atmos won't disappear anytime soon, although it sometimes seems as if Apple and WEA and the like are working so hard to water down its identity that it might as well. For the time being, I propose that we refer to the skimpy, shoestring variety of Atmos that streams at 768kbps--or maybe the type that's little more than a front stereo image repasted into all the other pairs of speakers--as "Thong Atmos."

Last edited:
Getting back to the real issue of this thread- THONGS

Here is a clip to one of my favorite Australian TV programs - HOUSO's - It really is an acquired taste and and has lots of "Boguns" in it.

BACK TO THE THREAD TOPIC

I think I am the odd man out in this topic of the future of ATMOS. I think it will indeed hang around for a while until something simpler and more universal/ cross compatible comes along BUT MAINLY BECAUSE IT COMES WITH THE NAME OF DOLBY!

When Joe average buys surround they will automatically gravitate to the latest and greatest popular thing preferably backed by probably the industries longest lived and known names - DOLBY. It feels safe and the biggest influence in buying stuff is that other people are buying it- the sheep effect. Its a bit like if you want batteries to power your solar house- many people just ask for a TESLA. I remember advising my rich sister and brother in law on what to buy in HiFi, I said "don't buy Bose". Guess what, they purchased a Bose system- because all their rich mates had Bose. I will never consult to them again!

We forget that biggest reasons Quad failed back in the 70's was

1 Market confusion due to too many competing systems and not all compatible
2 There was only one good seat in the house, right in the middle. The image went whoops if you were off to either side
3 The wife struggled to cope with 4 big wooden boxes and wires around the room
4 Some systems were not that good

Dolby came along and added the wretched center channel and the concept of the external woofer and bang we have home cinema - OK for movies but poor on music. YAY.

Now to add to the confusion and compatibility issues we have ATMOS with anywhere from a bullshit one to 128 objects around the room and all the associated processing. It solves some issues and can provide the overrated "bomb drop effect". But how many people are going to bother with say 9 or 10 speakers? Home cinemas are starting to lose favour in many areas, this just does not blend well into a normal lounge rooms.

I suspect history will repeat itself again and the market will just get bored with it. In my listening to it, I thought it provided a good surround in the sweet spot, but less impressive when sitting elsewhere. I did not like music through ATMOS as to me the frontal image was not focused enough. As stated, music currently sucks (in my opinion) and the focus on ATMOS will be towards cinema for a while yet, who know music might get better one day.

I know you guys have not had the opportunity yet to listen to Involve running with our SST (Sweet Spot Technology) but it really does create total seated freedom in a room, with strong imaging, including sides. There is NO CENTER CHANNEL. You do get a good height impression simply by elevating the rear speakers. It's simpler, totally universally stereo compatible and to my listening sounded more like "you are there". But hey as I have said before I am totally biased and not a reliable source.

Just sent a Y4 system to our MIT consultant "Rico" in USA and I had this correspondence (unaltered):

Rico said:
OK, after three full days of massaging the system, and becoming Zen electrostatic master it's a Game Changer!! Where have you been all my life! I need a drink right now and if I open my computer at this new hotel, we can talk later because Anthony is so floored that he's going to start bringing Film and TV clients because it's a stunner.

My problem was that I was trying to make everything sound good at 15 at all times,no need, I made it sound good at -9 and our client Anthony G****** fell in love. I need a drink.

Over and out!!

I said:

Watdoyamean 15 and 9....me dumb bastard?

Did you notice the sit anywhere thing????????????

Toodles

Aussie Chuckiness

Rico replied
Oh my God, did we notice the sit anywhere!! we need to download! If I’m not smashed in five hours, I’ll give you a holler, but I do have major meeting with A**** Music management tomorrow so I’m not going to get that bad a headache . I will explain the +15 as opposed to +4, which everyone thought was plenty full and loud and even loving the detail at minus 9DB. The rears at +6db and subs at +4db is magic

You’re deaf, dumb and blind pal

Rico

I replied:
Ah, I am a +15 kinda guy myself, friggin Dave always tells me I am too loud.....f#&k him I say.

It turned out Rico was not accustomed to sitting anywhere (even right up to the speaker) and the volume being the same everywhere!

So my point is I think the industry has been solving the surround, sit anywhere problem buy simply over complicating and adding more band-aids, we got the fundamentals all wrong. Thee is a way simpler 4 speaker approach (admittedly 10 channels)

But hey I think we are stuck with the ATMOS camel for a while yet before people see "the emperor has no clothes"

Last edited:
Got to say, the actual sound of the demo - which was limited to 5.1 - was very good. It certainly was not like those wretched kids on the lawn. It was that glorious neutral sound that I know and love from Anthem and their ARC. In retrospect, I am not sure the Krix wall of sound (something like this MX-5 | Krix ) quite delivers the desired level of left/centre/right separation. But that's for far more expertised people than myself to debate!

When you guys self refer as old farts; I only have one thing to say. Thank you. If I ever run into any of you, my shout. None of this stuff would be in the state it is without the technical battles, inventions and solutions of previous generations of audio lovers. My father was the age of era of most of you - he did the punch cards, early computers and played a little in the hi-fi space a little in the 1970's but then life got in the way. I am "young enough" to still hear slightly above 15kHz. It's marvelous where we are now - what an era to be alive. I can and will switch from The Beatles to Dua Lipa... cause I can :)

Entirely with the above posts on the bells and whistles issue with equipment. I am happy to leave the gadgets and smarts external to the AV receiver. I really want an AV receiver to receive bits and do the right thing into whatever channels are present; including Atmos. That's hard enough. I think of AV receivers as needing to do a base DAC role and do it amazingly. I still think we underestimate Atmos; it seems a really well thought out format - it would be a loss for all of us if it were to go (which I still think unlikely in the next ten years). Ever since that Atmos channel test thread, I have been a believer in the format.

If the worst case scenario eventuates of Atmos disappearing (which I think is on the cards for Sony 360RA) our challenge is clear. We acquire and retain original files; and also do conversions to whatever format has the most support at the time. It is already easy enough with foobar and a couple of plugins to convert Atmos to 5.1. I believe that with the advantages of the digital era, including cheap mass data storage (and backups); we will retain Atmos mixes. One way or another, Atmos will survive.

Atmos will have to wait for me, though, part cost but also the existing Anthem MRX710 changed my world after the already excellent Denon AVR3312... I cannot forsake you, my precious MRX710... :)

Re: Misappropriation of thongs; I think the Americans did it; and that Sisqo dude back in 1999. . I am not watching that video; not my cup of tea.

Also, the latest ads here at quadraphonicquad are trying to sell me women's undergarments. Unless they know something about me that I do not; this is strange.

may i present Sisqó's Thong Song in Atmos! 😅😋

High-end snobbery isn't only on the part of those customers who have sunk umpteen thousands of dollars into systems that might sound only marginally better than a "mid-fi" (as the high-end snobs call it) system, but it's also on the part of the stores that sell these so-called "holy grail" components. From the moment a new customer wanders into a high-end salon, he's immediately "sized up". How is he dressed? How much money does he have?
That's just life when shopping for anything that might get expensive, From cars to motorcycles to clothing stores, jewelry, whatever. In a way you can't blame the salesperson, if he can avoid it he doesn't want to waste hours on some dude the doesn't have two dimes to rub together.
I got two audio only High End stores in my area that are pretty mellow.... since many rich people dress down here in SoCal, they never really know...
Oh don't kid yourself, this is the day of parking lot cameras and all the rest. They know what car you pulled up in and can tell the difference between Walmart and Armani shorts & shoes.

Manual? Do they even ship a manual any more?

Like a car... the last car I got with a manual came with five books that we never read. The next one, came with a link to the Internet.

You know, my first car, a 64 1/2 Mustang V6/3MT didn't have a user's manual. I mean, you had a headlight switch, a turn signal, a heater, defroster, gear shift, clutch... we didn't need no stinkin' user manuals with such.
My two newest AVC's was delivered without a manual, on the latest one it can be found in the setup menu. And they're easy to find with google.

We forget that biggest reasons Quad failed back in the 70's was

1 Market confusion due to too many competing systems and not all compatible
2 There was only one good seat in the house, right in the middle. The image went whoops if you were off to either side
3 The wife struggled to cope with 4 big wooden boxes and wires around the room
4 Some systems were not that good

I add some more:

5. The big record sellers had the two worst system. They had to because the best system was already taken.
6. The cogging effect of moving side imag4es was there in all but one system.

Quad did not fail except in the minds of the record producers. It evolved into Dolby Surround. It works with more than one seat in the house and the cogging is gone.

But they could not leave things alone. They went discrete, which brings back the one good seat and the cogging. And it won't fit on an LP.

From now in, I don't want anything that can't fit on a standard LP (with no carrier).

Oh don't kid yourself, this is the day of parking lot cameras and all the rest. They know what car you pulled up in and can tell the difference between Walmart and Armani shorts & shoes.

There are no Walmart stores in Newport Beach or Irvine.

The two stores I'm referring too are on street fronts. Usually, I park my Honda right in front of one of them. The other one is street parking on PCH.

Besides, I know the owners.

Back