Will I ever be able to hear 4 discrete channels?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben1057

I own a Sanyo DCX3300KA receiver. Matrix 1, 2/sq logic/discrete. Recently bought the JVC MD 1016T cartridge and the 4 channel stylus to go with it, all placed on my Technics SL 1300. I also own SQ albums made by Columbia records, as well as a couple of QuadraDisc Records made by RCA and Elektra. I am able to hear the depth of sound (dimensional and reverb sound) that I would be able to hear out of the Stereo Quadraphonic albums, but when I switch to discrete mode on the receiver for the albums with the four channel discrete sound, I’m only able to hear the two front channels. Keep in mind, I’m pretty new to this, and even though I’m fascinated by the sound, I don’t think I’m doing it right. Any help/advice?!

Dynaquad is another matrix format, however there were very few recordings available. Many stereo discs have reportedly enough out of phase information to create a surround effect. Dynaquad, like SQ and QS/RM are often included in receivers where CD4 was often an add on. As I am on my phone I can not access the service manual available on HifiEngine.com . If you decide to go there, it requires you to sign up but except for the email acknowledging your sign up they will never harass you or sell info to anyone.

I do have access to HiFiEngine. I will research the Dinaquad info. In the meantime, I’m still puzzled about the four channel receiver with me being unable to hear the four discrete channels. Added the cartridge and stylus, I did perceived an enhanced sound, but switched to discrete, I only hear the sound comparable to a conventional stereo two front channel sound. Im very curious about this demodulator you mentioned before.

Discrete means either CD4 or 4 channel tape like 8 track or quad reels. If you do not have the demodulator built in you won't get discrete from CD4 discs unless you get a CD4 demodulator.
For this purposes "discrete" means a source that outputs 4 separate channels. It could be CD4, Q8 or even a SM2. "Discreteness" is not the issue.

Typically these receivers have stereo Tape Monitor outputs that can feed a SM and return through the Discrete inputs. Very convenient.

Discrete is a 4-4-4 system. You need 4 channels IN to get 4 channels OUT. The Sanyo DCX-3300KA has no on-board CD-4 demodulator. So to hear true discrete Quad you'll need either a 4-channel 8-track deck, 4 channel reel-to-reel deck or a CD-4 demodulator.
Gotcha. Makes sense. I ignored the use of a demodulator in addition to the receiver.

Discrete means either CD4 or 4 channel tape like 8 track or quad reels. If you do not have the demodulator built in you won't get discrete from CD4 discs unless you get a CD4 demodulator.
Hahahaha - and here's me thinking DISCRETE is the exact opposite of what I do - when entering a new forum . 🎶
Well I'll be blown away by that I will...

Can a CD4 "disc" be played on a normal CD player and get two channels stereo output ?
Or is it just a fuzzy buzzing sound - and about as useless as the four lilly-hangers on a bull ;-)

I'd be interested in finding out about what EXACTLY can be extracted from such a beast - if I bothered to find one to buy that is?

So - can one be played as if it was just a normal CD and not a CD4 ?

Discrete is a 4-4-4 system. You need 4 channels IN to get 4 channels OUT. The Sanyo DCX-3300KA has no on-board CD-4 demodulator. So to hear true discrete Quad you'll need either a 4-channel 8-track deck, 4 channel reel-to-reel deck or a CD-4 demodulator.
Is that for real ?
I doubt it - but hey - until I work with one, I'll not be able to disprove it either, but I'm sure there's way more "tracks" hidden inside those - that just four.

I also KNOW that many years ago (and it still happens too mind) someone was CAUGHT - implanting miniscule image files, and audio "clips" into songs and TV adverts etc, called ?
I'll remember it soon..

Anyways - these subliminal - yeah that's it..
Subliminal

Subliminal messages and audio "clips" of micro second durations, were OFTEN inserted into TV ads especially, but were also able to be "placed" within audio "channels" as cross-talk, such that unless you were aware that these were there, or ?
THAT THEY WERE BEING DELIBERATELY PLAYED "SDRAWKCAB" (Backwards) inside and within the track normally heard playing forwards

You couldn't hear them - but your brain knew, and remembered this info - when NEXT at the store that sold these, or at a record store to look for and BUY that particular track / song stuck (somehow) inside your head ..
Subliminal meSsaging was BANNED - well presumably it was, until those that knew how - implanted it in a "multitude" of diverse and different ways.

Where did I put one I decoded..?
TWO completely different songs, playing WITHIN (one deliberately hidden under and thus within the sound tracks of the other) - the one song?
You cannot hear the second song - until?
UNTIL YOU PLAY THE RECORDING THE OTHER WAY - in reverse (sdrawkcab)
Thus - by reversing the track physically- and playing it again "backwards" - the original song becomes a "hidden' background noise of non understandable words, whilst the normally hidden song - plays normally
And thus hearing the mumbled words - one learns that XXY (Klinefelter's Syndrome) is in fact - the subject of the reverse played song.

?

I'll go find it - as I did a full forwards / backwards / forwards again video ..
Done with a few photos of mine placed therein ... to allow YouTube to assume it was a home movie?

Um - I have a problem (it's called a fit of rage - or a temper tantrum) ..
Anyhow's - at some stage in the past ten or eleven years - someone or something must have ticked me off, as I recall DELETING a lot of my videos off YouTube, about the time I joined Facebook .. so?

In my angry TWIN mode (I hate angry twin when he comes out to destroy things) - somehow then or at anther later "angry turn-out" - angry twin deleted a lot more videos off YouTube - one of them being that one?
So - I'll go look for it inside facey booklet.
BBS
Nah too many accounts there to look at them all for now - so for now - listen to this VINYL - being played - into & thus through a deplexer-decoder i was fiddling with one day ?
Remastering is easy - with one of those..

I cannot find the other one that I wanted "
Im' bringing Sexy Back - (I think it was) - which is probably only left on a thumb drive - in that big box of them I have somewhere around the pc?

Anyhows - in my "other" places on YouTube - I found this reversed unit called DNA
Has anyone heard of the instrumental of DNA..?

Well one wonders HOW MANY - alternative tracks - one can "find" hidden therein?
AND ?
AND - it too is there, being as it is - the opposite to, and thus the reversed order of play - to DNA..

re:
"AND_DNA" ie: "Analogue New Dimension _ Digital Neutred Analogue"

Last edited:
What I cannot understand - is why a demodulator is needed at all - inside or outside?
Are you describing a deplexer- rather than a demodulator - or is that - I'll google and BBS ..

Ah - so it's just a wave carrier pigeon - that needs it's audio load removed from the clutches of it's claws (the carrier signal) to allow you - the listener - to hear the audio that was carried (modulated) in it's claws..
The modulated signal.
It needs to be demodulated.
Yes - that's obviously needed then ..

It thus does absolutely nothing - to the audio signal itself, and thus does NOT allow the listener to hear any discretely hidden (or in-discretely hidden) extra tracks, implanted by MUXING the one base audio track - with other super imposed or undercut (subliminal) tracks hidden within it's recording.

Yes - totally useless things audio demodulators are - for surround sound working - as all you get is the raw signal - not deplexer (demultiplexer) decoded at all is it.
Like listening in to every telephone call ever made at the same time..
You cannot hear the trees for the forest.

But wait - I have one here..
Useless for audio work - but brilliant for receiving images and written documentation - it's a FAX demodulator..
re:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fax_demodulator

Can a CD4 "disc" be played on a normal CD player and get two channels stereo output ?

CD-4 (Compatible Discrete 4) is a quadraphonic vinyl format, not a type of optical disc. However, CD-4 LPs can be played in stereo - the information meant to be heard from the rear channels will simply fold into the fronts.

Is that for real ?
I doubt it - but hey - until I work with one

It's very real. During the mid-1970s, hundreds of LPs were released in this format by labels such as RCA, Warner, Elektra, Atlantic, and A&M.

CD-4 (Compatible Discrete 4) is a quadraphonic vinyl format, not a type of optical disc. However, CD-4 LPs can be played in stereo - the information meant to be heard from the rear channels will simply fold into the fronts.

It's very real. During the mid-1970s, hundreds of LPs were released in this format by labels such as RCA, Warner, Elektra, Atlantic, and A&M.

Wow - thanks for that - but see - they were also (thus) playable direct - on a nine channel analogue system, developed in 1965.
Thankfully I developed it, and unfortunately for anyone NORTH of the tip of the North Island NZ (for many years) - no one else in the world has enjoyed these sounds.

Banned already?
We hardly got to know you.
Fitting that I just watched some Monty Python then see these posts.

It’s clear that my posts are from an amateur listener, hence why my question. I’m not trying to chase onto the next sound experience, as my pockets tell me “F*** NO!”. I can see that there are many quad purists in this world, and I’m clearly ignorant to the plethora of ways to experience it. It’s all good, I will listen to my music to the extent of my capabilities and be ok with with. Not giving up about it, and when my pockets tell me “go on... you can but that” I’ll def get it and buy it. Shoot... I just learned about binaural recordings this past week!! What about teaching a newbie on here?!

Back