Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did people actually think it would be released ? I didn't when it was announced a few years ago and was delayed. We may as well just depend on our Quadradiscs. I think Rhino could really care less.

Did people actually think it would be released ? I didn't when it was announced a few years ago and was delayed. We may as well just depend on our Quadradiscs. I think Rhino could really care less.

We certainly had reason to trust forum member @ForagingRhino (a Rhino insider) when he first breathed word of this project, chas--and for quite some time beyond that, too. But as @JonUrban explained over a long series of periodic updates: things aren't necessarily in FR's hands. There was reasonable speculation that the long-delayed set would finally appear with the band's 50th-anniversary reunion tour with Michael McDonald this summer. But with the End of the World As We Know It, who knows what will happen now with anything?

25 pages is a lot to wade through, but you'll find some good info if you scroll back through this thread.

I'd say Warner's enthusiasm "timed out". If they're even capable of cobbling-together an artists-in-their-homes charitable event online these days, just so they can put their name on it, I'd be doubtful. The entertainment industry is either "every man for himself and his McMansion" right now, or coming up with excuses why they can't lift a finger to do anything altruistic until they get the research that screams, they'd be stupid not to.

7 more months to go so there is still ample time to get this set for the Holiday Season.

I hate to sound like one of those pop-up creatures that appears quickly, you try and hit with a mallet but it disappears before you can smack it, then it pops up again in different hole just to annoy you and make you try again to smack it with the mallet, but there is merit in Simon's post above.

Is it fair to say the consensus is that Stampede is the best of the original quad mixes? Like the poster upthread, I've never heard any of the quad mixes.

EDIT: I'm still hopeful for an official release.

my own personal favourites are Stampede and Toulouse Street.

Vices is probably the biggy with the mix of Black Water often remarked upon as the surround highlight but really all 4 are great and excellent examples of Quad.

But "Vices" is the better album. The quad mix is quite great on it too.

I agree: Vices is "peak early DBs" for me. I actually find Stampede the least enjoyable of the three: to my ears, it's a comparatively "loud" album, with lots of reverb. And I'm sure the numbers won't bear me out, but I think the music on that album generally has a narrower DR, too. Still: If I liked Stampede and Toulouse Street as much as I like Vices, I would probably rate them all equally, or nearly so.

Once the remastered, high-res Blu-Ray versions finally materialize, I'll probably change my rankings all over again!

(By the way: welcome to @jtiner and @christcomesalive!)

Last edited:
I hate to sound like one of those pop-up creatures that appears quickly, you try and hit with a mallet but it disappears before you can smack it, then it pops up again in different hole just to annoy you and make you try again to smack it with the mallet, but there is merit in Simon's post above.
Whack-a-mole :LOL:

I just picked up MoFi Stampede SACD because I got tired of waiting and I love that album. Maybe that'll be the tipping point. It seems anytime I spend money on something that is close to, but not exactly what I want, the item that I really want hits the market.

I just picked up MoFi Stampede SACD because I got tired of waiting and I love that album. Maybe that'll be the tipping point. It seems anytime I spend money on something that is close to, but not exactly what I want, the item that I really want hits the market.

the MOFI Doobies SACDs are good,
they're just lacking in one area.

NO MUSHAFUSHAWUSHASURROUND..!!!!!

🤯

Whack-a-mole :LOL:

whack qq.jpg

The multichannel DVD-Audio mix for The Captain and Me was a completely new mix just for that release, right? And that was the only title that was released? I just looked at the liner notes and didn't see any mix/tech. info.

EDIT: I think the menus indicate 24/96 multi and stereo.

Last edited:
The multichannel DVD-Audio mix for The Captain and Me was a completely new mix just for that release, right? And that was the only title that was released? I just looked at the liner notes and didn't see any mix/tech. info.

EDIT: I think the menus indicate 24/96 multi and stereo.

That's right--completely new mix. (By Elliot Scheiner.)

(P.S.: D'oh! I think I was typing just as @sjcorne was posting!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back