Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to t💥rch all those ole Doobie Brother Quad Reels, Q8s and CD~4 Vinyl

THE MASTERS HAVE SPOKEN!

See the source image

Last edited:
pardon my ignorance for i am but a clueless Brit, when exactly is Quadio release day/Labor Day?

(everyday's a labouring day chez moi since i "came out" of retirement.. workin' in a coalmine! dig dig dig dig dig-a-dig dig is what we like to do! woopah! et-fackin'-cetera.. but that's a different story)

meantime, "i'm so happy i can hardly contain myself!!" OH JOY!!!!!! 😂

edit schmedit: Doobies Quadio's takin' it to the streets on the 7th of September!!!

Last edited:
I might get shot for this but I felt the McDonald era was semi-disco. That sound turned me away from the Doobies for many years.
There was nothing disco about it. What it was, was a musicianship eccentric, Jazz embellished direction that wasn't entirely different from the best of the Johnston era. So yeah, everybody gets to like what they like, but they were already pushing the limits of what their "bar band" potential could provide. "Bar Band" boogie might be the thing that floats your boat, but the greatest MUSIC from their catalog (from an abstract Musician/MusicianSHIP POV) sources from Takin it, MBM and OSC. "Fault Line" is definitely a mixed bag, so let's put that on the table up front. It took them time to integrate everything and time was not a resource that labels allowed to be wasted then. If the Candoli Brothers could be well featured on a track like "I Cheat The Hangman" then there really isn't as much daylight between the rhythm guitar overexposed era and the "Jazzier McDonald" era as the serially dyspeptic like to purport. If that doesn't seem conciliatory, then another way to put it might be every band should be as lucky as both Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers were. Popular Music would be in a lot better shape right now. But it's also fair to say there was NO shortage of "facility" chops in any iteration. I like both. I tire of the formula of the Johnston type approach more quickly. There's more musical diversity on the McDonald albums.

my own personal favourites are Stampede and Toulouse Street.

Same here.

Captain and Me is without question the worst, despite a few highlights (the two big hits). The other tracks have lots of sloppy mistakes, usually missing parts like South City’s missing harmony and the opening track’s roving “tricycle.” Both are restored in the DVDA 5.1 mix, which I prefer.

I‘d guess Captain was the first one so mixed, and Stampede clearly last, which likely explains a lot.

I deserve some credit for this release!!!

Why? Because I had given up on this Quadio and just spent about two weeks playing around with my rip of the Toulouse Street quad...Applying various degrees of EQ on a track by track basis along with some some futzing with surround levels on a few songs...and going back to them after a few days to see if I liked what I came up with, etc. etc. etc. So I literally finished getting the quad to sound how I want three days ago and now we get magnificent news on the Quadio release. Induced labor........works all the time!

:SB :SB :SB:SB Four bananas for four Quadios!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back