HiRez Poll Williams, Alan - EVIDENCE UNEARTHED [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Alan Williams - EVIDENCE UNEARTHED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 release from Alan Williams (of Birdsong at Morning) called "Evidence Unearthed".

The 2020 release by Birdsong At Morning founder Alan Williams - a reworked version of the unreleased 1995 album - new vocals, updated arrangements, new mixes in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. This package contains a CD with stereo 44.1/16 mixes, and a Blu-ray with stereo and 5.1 vocal and instrumental 48/24 mixes of the album in LPCM and DTS-HD. Blu-ray also contains lyrics, text commentary, user playlist feature, and the music video for “Anniston.”

Evidence+Cover.png

A strong “9” vote from me. This might be my second favorite 5.1 release of 2020 (so far), after Mary Fahl’s From The Dark Side Of The Moon.

First off, I absolutely love the album! Catchy melodies, great vocals, and there’s a nice mix of uptempo and slower tunes. Almost every track is a winner for me.

The surround mix strikes me as a tad restrained at times, but overall it’s an excellent expansion of the already-great stereo version. You typically have acoustic guitars, strings, and some backing vocals isolated in the rear channels. The lead vocal is most prominent in the front speakers, with an isolated feed from the center channel adding support. The rhythm section feels like it leans toward the front channels, but there's also a good amount of drum sound in the rears that makes the kit sound huge (check out the intro to “Anniston”).

“Neon Dreaming” is one of the more active mixes with the processed vocal parts hopping around the room. “Binaural Girl” has a slightly unusual setup where the rears go silent during the verses, but percussion parts suddenly pop up back there during the chorus. In "Anniston", there's a shaker in the rear channels that I didn't really notice in the stereo mix.

A few additional observations:
  • Fidelity is strong throughout, but “And So He Loves You” sounds absolutely gorgeous at high volume
  • The authoring on this disc is among the best I’ve ever seen! I love how it highlights the lyrics as they go by, and the playlist feature is brilliant
  • Does anyone else think the verse melody in "Crosses" sounds like "21 Guns" by Green Day?
Overall, I think this disc belongs in any surround fan’s collection. Don't hesitate to check it out!

A 10 from me. I think I am firmly a Birdsong - Alan Williams fanboy at this point

Great album that grows on repeated listens. Enough songs that grab you on first listen so when you play again the slower songs start to sink in.

Such care was put into the whole package. I like how you can choose between lyrics and narrative while the songs are playing.

Nice surround mix. Especially love the immersion of the backing vocals and strings.

sam

I was getting my car repaired and was going through some of the new releases when I came upon Evidence Unearthed so listened to a few songs on my phone and read the backstory of this CD. I decided to spring for it and I am so happy I did. This bluray has a fresh clean and full sound it is somewhat discrete. I like the mix and it does make use of the surrounds in interesting ways. I know there is so much music coming out over the next two months. I hope this bluray does not get lost in the shuffle because it is that good

I'm at a loss as to what to vote for this one. I love @sjcorne 's review and agree with all he says; reading it makes me wonder why it doesn't result in a 10 (second favorite release of the year, second only to From The Dark Side Of The Moon--a clear 10). On the other hand, @J. PUPSTER brings up an excellent point regarding the the volume of the fronts in THIS post. So I'm torn--what do I vote?
Like @samskeyti , I, too, am an @Birdsong At Morning fanboy. For me, this is a wonderful release that reveals more upon repeated listens. One of the keys to those revelations lies in the disc's authoring. Take a look at this screen:
IMG_1906.JPG

While listening (in stereo, 5.1 DTS, or 5.1 LPCM OR any of those options for the instrumental version!), I can see the lyrics (highlighted when sung) or--here's where the revelations come in--read Williams's informative and insightful commentary, making the whole experience even more satisfying and impressive for me. Finally, I can create and edit my own playlist--how's that for attention to detail!
Initially, I wanted more from the surround mix; upon repeated listens, though, the mix really enhances the overall experience.
Whether I ultimately go with a 9 or a 10, I think @sjcorne 's final comment bears repeating:
Overall, I think this disc belongs in any surround fan’s collection. Don't hesitate to check it out!

I'm at a loss as to what to vote for this one. I love @sjcorne 's review and agree with all he says; reading it makes me wonder why it doesn't result in a 10 (second favorite release of the year, second only to From The Dark Side Of The Moon--a clear 10). On the other hand, @J. PUPSTER brings up an excellent point regarding the the volume of the fronts in THIS post. So I'm torn--what do I vote?
Like @samskeyti , I, too, am an @Birdsong At Morning fanboy. For me, this is a wonderful release that reveals more upon repeated listens. One of the keys to those revelations lies in the disc's authoring. Take a look at this screen:
View attachment 56904

While listening (in stereo, 5.1 DTS, or 5.1 LPCM OR any of those options for the instrumental version!), I can see the lyrics (highlighted when sung) or--here's where the revelations come in--read Williams's informative and insightful commentary, making the whole experience even more satisfying and impressive for me. Finally, I can create and edit my own playlist--how's that for attention to detail!
Initially, I wanted more from the surround mix; upon repeated listens, though, the mix really enhances the overall experience.
Whether I ultimately go with a 9 or a 10, I think @sjcorne 's final comment bears repeating:
I was only providing information, ultimately it's how you feel on the music and sound overall. There is maybe a slight hard limiting on the fronts. It doesn't mean it necessarily sounds bad. I enjoy it and am certainly glad to have it in my collection.
I'm often reminded about how folks reacted so incredulously offended to the Cassandra Wilson "Traveling Miles" DVD with the hosed up mix on the MLP layer; but the DTS layer sounds good to me- the true strength is in the music itself.

But when in doubt, Jonathan is usually right on.
I'm happy to give this one a 9 here!

On the other hand, @J. PUPSTER brings up an excellent point regarding the the volume of the fronts in THIS post. So I'm torn--what do I vote?

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but there are a lot of surround releases that sound great despite having 'squashed' front channels. Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, The Eagles' Hotel California, and Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms are all good examples of this.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but there are a lot of surround releases that sound great despite having 'squashed' front channels. Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, The Eagles' Hotel California, and Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms are all good examples of this.
Never really looked at those wave forms on those, now you've got me curios as to how they look 🧐

I vote 9 only because is not my favourite music style. The surround mix and the fidelity are spectacular. The surround technique used seems to me very special And different

I had the opportunity to interview Alan over a month ago about his musical career and approach to 5.1 mixing. Thrilled to hear that he's working on a new solo album slated for release sometime next year.
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/202...iams-musician-producer-engineer-and-educator/

That's a great interview, Jonathan, and it makes me even more sympathetic to Williams and all his projects. All three of his 5.1 albums are class-act productions and great-value packages. And he's a really good mixer. (Love his explanations of his thoughtful approach.)

I blow hot and cold on Birdsong's earnest, indie-folk/post-pop sensibility, though I can't deny the deft songwriting, the smart arrangements, and the immaculate production, all of which deserve loads of respect. But I'm really connecting with the more straightforward, rockin' Americana of Evidence Unearthed.

Last edited:
Giving this album a fresh listen as I wait for word about the physical release of Currents, and I just like this one more and more. Listening this time with the on-screen commentary turned on. Like so many of the songs, the glosses are smart and witty and literate. QQers ought to appreciate the aural jokes of "Binaural Girl," especially.

Last edited:
Giving this album a fresh listen as I wait for word about the physical release of Currents, and I just like this one more and more. Listening this time with the on-screen commentary turned on. Like so many of the songs, the glosses are smart and witty and literate. QQers ought to appreciate the aural jokes of "Binaural Girl," especially.
Alan's new BD~A CURRENTS will be released on October 28th and is currently on sale at Burning Shed for £14.00

https://burningshed.com/alan-williams_currents_blu-ray

Back