Quad LP/Tape Poll Williams, Andy: Andy [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Andy"

• 10: The best!

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 5: So-So

• 1: Suckdom Central

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ-34299 from 1976, among the last Columbia quad releases.

Side 1:

Yellow Beach Umbrella
Sailin'
Thank You, Baby
Since I Fell for You
My Lonely Room

Side 2:
Put Your Blues to Bed
If You Ever Believed
Groovin'
Tryin' to Forget I Loved You
The Poem

ED :)

Thanks ever so much for shining your spotlight on this one Mr.B :upthumb

I accept that image-wise its more "hip operation" than "hip" to the younger membership here and to the wider general audience out there in Stereo-ville.. but as somebody who was just a twinkle in the milkman's eye when this was recorded, I can't hold back my enthusiasm here, I love love LOVE this album in Quad and it has absolutely been one of my biggest 'surround surprises' of the year.

Brief bit of background to the recording that I've gleaned, Andy was trying something new with a new producer and arranger and the results (although not the smash hit the label were hoping for.. he wouldn't record much more for Columbia after this, his star was definitely on the wane by '76) are just plain, simple, honest MOR beautifully executed.. there's ballads, uptempo straight pop, lilting calypso, its just all rather lovely if you find this kind of thing at all musically palatable.

Fidelity of the SQ is tremendous, the Quad mix is wonderous - more active and immersive than you might think with such material - and that music itself is just joyous. It is the most enjoyable of Andy Williams' numerous Quads by a country mile.

In addition, the musicanship on display is pretty impressive, with a backing band comprising of no less than the combined talents of Larry Carlton, Jay Graydon, Hal Blaine, Jim Keltner, Leland Sklar, Larry Brown and Kim Carnes.. on every track the various band line ups are tight and yet its all so effortlessly free-flowing. This is Andy Williams' Quad tour de force.

I urge everyone here at QQ to track this Quad down.. go into it with an open mind.. yes its easy listening but I'm sure in that context, when presented with MOR of the highest calibre, you'll be tapping your toe to every number and wishing the album was just that bit longer, I know I do its my only criticism of this smooth set of songs that its a bit too short as an album but its no less sweet for its short-ness.. a "10".

Thanks ever so much for shining your spotlight on this one Mr.B :upthumb

I accept that image-wise its more "hip operation" than "hip" to the younger membership here and to the wider general audience out there in Stereo-ville.. but as somebody who was just a twinkle in the milkman's eye when this was recorded, I can't hold back my enthusiasm here, I love love LOVE this album in Quad and it has absolutely been one of my biggest 'surround surprises' of the year.

Brief bit of background to the recording that I've gleaned, Andy was trying something new with a new producer and arranger and the results (although not the smash hit the label were hoping for.. he wouldn't record much more for Columbia after this, his star was definitely on the wane by '76) are just plain, simple, honest MOR beautifully executed.. there's ballads, uptempo straight pop, lilting calypso, its just all rather lovely if you find this kind of thing at all musically palatable.

Fidelity of the SQ is tremendous, the Quad mix is wonderous - more active and immersive than you might think with such material - and that music itself is just joyous. It is the most enjoyable of Andy Williams' numerous Quads by a country mile.

In addition, the musicanship on display is pretty impressive, with a backing band comprising of no less than the combined talents of Larry Carlton, Jay Graydon, Hal Blaine, Jim Keltner, Leland Sklar, Larry Brown and Kim Carnes.. on every track the various band line ups are tight and yet its all so effortlessly free-flowing. This is Andy Williams' Quad tour de force.

I urge everyone here at QQ to track this Quad down.. go into it with an open mind.. yes its easy listening but I'm sure in that context, when presented with MOR of the highest calibre, you'll be tapping your toe to every number and wishing the album was just that bit longer, I know I do its my only criticism of this smooth set of songs that its a bit too short as an album but its no less sweet for its short-ness.. a "10".

I have always enjoyed Andy Williams. My folks had most if not all of his albums, so I got an earful as a youngster. It would be so fun to get this in Quad SACD. Oh well, I can dream.

I have always enjoyed Andy Williams. My folks had most if not all of his albums, so I got an earful as a youngster. It would be so fun to get this in Quad SACD. Oh well, I can dream.

Well I never say never Gene but.. it does seem highly unlikely anyone will ever reissue any of these MOR Quads now.

I mean, who would buy them? It'd be crazy to invest $$ into re-releasing any of them nowadays.

Still, there are even crazier "conversionistas" out there who will no doubt ensure the 3 people who still want to hear these easy listening things in Quad get to do just that..!

I for one am thankful to the guys here and there who do just that across a wide range of genres, artists and from the various formats from the all too brief but beautiful Quadraphonic era..! :wave

I have always enjoyed Andy Williams. My folks had most if not all of his albums, so I got an earful as a youngster.

I suppose I should thank my parents for NOT being Andy fans (though I would swear they watched the Lawrence Welk show religiously); my parents' tastes skewed country, though my father was a Sinatra and Alpert/TJB fan. The sheer volume of Andy's albums in thrifts and fleas for decades proves, if nothing else, of how popular he was (his TV series, long forgotten, goosed sales of course).

Hopefully the other Andy quads will eventually surface for others to enjoy (unofficially; can't imagine the quad mixes ever being reissued by Sony). Personally, I find the "Love Story" hit to be among the finest in overblown, pop nonsense from 1971. The film sucked and was absurdly popular, but Andy got the hit which puts me right back in that time.

Hopefully the other Andy quads will eventually surface for others to enjoy (unofficially; can't imagine the quad mixes ever being reissued by Sony). Personally, I find the "Love Story" hit to be among the finest in overblown, pop nonsense from 1971. The film sucked and was absurdly popular, but Andy got the hit which puts me right back in that time.

I've SQ LPs of the rest of Andy Williams' Quads;

ALONE AGAIN (NATURALLY),
LOVE STORY,
LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER,
YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND

I'm thinking to decode them thru the Surround Master over the Christmas holiday.. just sayin'.. :eek:

I've SQ LPs of the rest of Andy Williams' Quads;

ALONE AGAIN (NATURALLY),
LOVE STORY,
LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER,
YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND

I'm thinking to decode them thru the Surround Master over the Christmas holiday.. just sayin'.. :eek:

A project few would undertake, yet for posterity, very worthwhile....:)

Back