HiRez Poll Williams, Paul - I'M GOING BACK THERE SOMEDAY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Paul Williams - I'M GOING BACK THERE SOMEDAY

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thougts and comments on this DVD-Audio release from AIX records. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• PaulWilliams 1.jpg
    PaulWilliams 1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 302
  • PaulWilliams 2.jpg
    PaulWilliams 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 306
  • PaulWilliams 3.jpg
    PaulWilliams 3.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 300
Before I begin, let me just say that despite buying thousands of albums in many formats over the years, I had never purchased a recording by Paul Williams. It's not that I did not know of his music, how could anyone not? He is one of the greatest songwriters of the last 50 years. It's just that I never was a MOR kind of guy. Sure I liked a ballad here and there, but I never really seeked them out.

That being said, I have to say that this is one of the most amazing DVD-Audio discs I have ever owned, and I am glad that I finally can say that I own a Paul Williams disc, and that it is THIS disc! (y) I have gained so much respect for this guy after watching and listening to this disc, he is far more than the little guy with the blond hair from "Smokey and the Bandit"! :D

In reality, this release is like having a 4 disc set of various formats on 2 DualDiscs. The DVD-Audio 24/96 5.1 mix is done with great class and taste, and while being discrete, it does not hit you over the head.

Disc 1 is a CD/DVD-Audio of a new AIX recording of many of Paul Williams biggest songs, starting off with a duet with Willie Nelson of "Rainbow Connection". Willie is in the front left, Paul is in the front right. I was first introduced to this song by hearing it sung by Livingston Taylor in concert, and did not know for many years that it came from the Muppet Movie and that it was written by Paul Williams. I have always loved this song, and this version gets better and upon each listen. In crytsal clear 24/96 5.1, it's a joy to listen to. You can hear Willie's guitar like it's in your speaker, every finger moving up and down the strings is revealed in extreme detail. Then, to make it even more amazing, after you listen to this on your DVD-Audio player, you can then pop in disc 2 and WATCH THE RECORDING SESSION on your DVD player in 16x9 video!! (However, the video is not anamorphic, which is surprising in a package as elaborate as this)

yes, Disc 2, Side 1 is the same recordings in a user selectable Dolby Digital 5.1 "Audience Mix" with Video, or a DTS 5.1 Stage Mix with the video, and the video takes you literally on the stage, where you can watch the musicians do their thing. It is very cool.

Disc 2 Side 2 is sort of a documentary on Pauls' career interspersed with interview segments and a live concert performance of some of the same songs on the recorded program on the other discs, as well as other songs he's written, like "You and Me Against the World", a hit in the '70s for Helen Reddy. During the concert portion of this side, Paul is joined by Melissa Manchester for "Crazy Lovin' You".

Housed in a large DVD-V sized case with a pull out insert, this set was created, recorded, assembled, and blessed with amazing care and detail that AIX does with all of their excellent discs.

This ain't Rock and Roll, but if you are a fan of Paul Williams writing or just nice relaxing music, this set is a must buy. Set aside a few hours, cue up the disc player, and be prepared to be amazed.

I could probably say a lot more about this set, but my head is spinning! This one is a TEN all the way. Great job by AIX. If Dr. AIX stops by, I'd love to hear some behind the scenes stories about this one.

"Just An Old Fashioned Love Song" was one of my favourite albums from back in the early 70s and it's great to hear all the hits re-created so well. Even the chat between tracks in the concert section is well worth hearing. Great package.

I like the entire thing but the "gonzo" part just kind of takes it where it shouldn't have gone IMO. Anyway, all the AIX "Collector's Edition" releases pay this special attention to detail. They are $50 each but you are getting something that is unique. I'll put a 9 on this one.

I was worried that I would regret not buying this one at Tower Records' going-out-of-business sale some months back. Thanks for confirming it :howl.

I remember putting this back on the shelf because I was already spending too much money (with the discount, it was about $20.00).

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I was worried that I would regret not buying this one at Tower Records' going-out-of-business sale some months back. Thanks for confirming it :howl.

I remember putting this back on the shelf because I was already spending too much money (with the discount, it was about $20.00).

...........or maybe $20/$20! ;)

I have been looking for this one at a price I am willing to pay for a long time. That would have been an easy choice for me. I continue to look, but I did find 3 AIX titles a couple of days ago so you never know. I am familiar with his music and not a fan, but this one really does get such respect, I want it.

Chris

Just nabbed a used copy for $10! :banana:

I love the quirky titles too -- as far as I'm concerned, Gonzo is a definite plus!! Haven't heard an AIX title yet, if they are as good as everyone says I'll be picking up a few more...

Mark Z

Before I begin, let me just say that despite buying thousands of albums in many formats over the years, I had never purchased a recording by Paul Williams. It's not that I did not know of his music, how could anyone not? He is one of the greatest songwriters of the last 50 years. It's just that I never was a MOR kind of guy. Sure I liked a ballad here and there, but I never really seeked them out.

That being said, I have to say that this is one of the most amazing DVD-Audio discs I have ever owned, and I am glad that I finally can say that I own a Paul Williams disc, and that it is THIS disc! (y) I have gained so much respect for this guy after watching and listening to this disc, he is far more than the little guy with the blond hair from "Smokey and the Bandit"! :D

In reality, this release is like having a 4 disc set of various formats on 2 DualDiscs. The DVD-Audio 24/96 5.1 mix is done with great class and taste, and while being discrete, it does not hit you over the head.

Disc 1 is a CD/DVD-Audio of a new AIX recording of many of Paul Williams biggest songs, starting off with a duet with Willie Nelson of "Rainbow Connection". Willie is in the front left, Paul is in the front right. I was first introduced to this song by hearing it sung by Livingston Taylor in concert, and did not know for many years that it came from the Muppet Movie and that it was written by Paul Williams. I have always loved this song, and this version gets better and upon each listen. In crytsal clear 24/96 5.1, it's a joy to listen to. You can hear Willie's guitar like it's in your speaker, every finger moving up and down the strings is revealed in extreme detail. Then, to make it even more amazing, after you listen to this on your DVD-Audio player, you can then pop in disc 2 and WATCH THE RECORDING SESSION on your DVD player in 16x9 video!! (However, the video is not anamorphic, which is surprising in a package as elaborate as this)

yes, Disc 2, Side 1 is the same recordings in a user selectable Dolby Digital 5.1 "Audience Mix" with Video, or a DTS 5.1 Stage Mix with the video, and the video takes you literally on the stage, where you can watch the musicians do their thing. It is very cool.

Disc 2 Side 2 is sort of a documentary on Pauls' career interspersed with interview segments and a live concert performance of some of the same songs on the recorded program on the other discs, as well as other songs he's written, like "You and Me Against the World", a hit in the '70s for Helen Reddy. During the concert portion of this side, Paul is joined by Melissa Manchester for "Crazy Lovin' You".

Housed in a large DVD-V sized case with a pull out insert, this set was created, recorded, assembled, and blessed with amazing care and detail that AIX does with all of their excellent discs.

This ain't Rock and Roll, but if you are a fan of Paul Williams writing or just nice relaxing music, this set is a must buy. Set aside a few hours, cue up the disc player, and be prepared to be amazed.

I could probably say a lot more about this set, but my head is spinning! This one is a TEN all the way. Great job by AIX. If Dr. AIX stops by, I'd love to hear some behind the scenes stories about this one.
Jon, I agree with you 100%. This was also an unexpected joy for me as well. Quite moving in spots. I'll drop the Doc a note about this thread.

The Paul Williams project was the first in the series of Collectors Editions that we've produced and released [There have been about 6 more that were shot using HD Video equipment].

I love this record. It was a or event to have Willie Nelson come to the hall, hang, sing and play "Rainbow Connection", which is Paul's favorite song and one of mine as well. After that session, Paul came back to the studio [he forgot a shirt in the green room] and I played a quick mix of the track for him. He wheeled around and told me that in 30 years of making records, he had never hear anything quite like our track. I was touched because here was a true master songwriter complimenting me on our approach...finally, after months of conversation, he got it.

BTW This same track was licensed for a compliation by a company in the Midwest for use on a Phil Ramone produced CD of legacy artists doing a new and old tune. I jumped at the chance to have our track along side tracks from Kenny Loggins, Carole King and Brian Wilson. I was asked to send along the multitrack master so that Phil and his engineer could "remix" the track to better fit in with the rest of the tracks. When the finished disc finally arrived I was quite surprised to see that they had replaced virtually all of the music in New York with local session players. They added synth strings, replaced the acoustic bass with an electric one, took out the accordian and replaced the electric guitar part. I was astouned! The tune had been "re-mixed" from the amazingly warm and personal duet that we had captured in the fall of 2004 to a homogenized, musically vapid flat-sounding track. Oh well...

As for Gonzo and the final track on the record, "I Going To Go Back There Someday"? It's one of my favorite tracks...so honest and personal sounding. Gonzo was so much fun to work with and his performance is perfectly suited to the tune. Maybe it takes realizing the story behind Gonzo, the flightless bird from the Muppet Show and movies. He longs to get back into the air after a life of being locked to the ground. In the first Muppet Movie he flys by purchasing too many ballons for his girl Camilla and floating away. It means so much more...anyway, I love the track. And Gonzo and Willie had a great time working on the project.

Thanks for the comments.

My new favorite project is John Gorka...definitely worth auditioning a couple of tunes. My personal favorite is "I Saw A Stranger With Your Hair"...he's the real deal.

........BTW This same track was licensed for a compliation by a company in the Midwest for use on a Phil Ramone produced CD of legacy artists doing a new and old tune. I jumped at the chance to have our track along side tracks from Kenny Loggins, Carole King and Brian Wilson. I was asked to send along the multitrack master so that Phil and his engineer could "remix" the track to better fit in with the rest of the tracks. When the finished disc finally arrived I was quite surprised to see that they had replaced virtually all of the music in New York with local session players. They added synth strings, replaced the acoustic bass with an electric one, took out the accordian and replaced the electric guitar part. I was astouned! The tune had been "re-mixed" from the amazingly warm and personal duet that we had captured in the fall of 2004 to a homogenized, musically vapid flat-sounding track. Oh well.........

You must have been CRUSHED (or pissed - or both). That performance of Rainbow Connection is so freaking PERFECT, good grief, I can't imagine anyone destroying it. Each musician is placed and performing beyond imagination. I could listen to and watch that track over and over. To me, it's the "star" of the disc(s).

Damn. That is really sad.

One more thing - was there a reason the DVD is not anamorphic? I was kinda surprised about that. (Or did I just get an early version?)

The Paul Williams project was the last one that I did in standard defintion video...and it was actually a 4:3 aspect ratio that was cropped to similate the letterbox. There would have been no benefit doing it as an anamorphic stretch. I prefer that format and have made it the normal method of presenting the HD Video projects that have been released over the past couple of years.

And yes, I was disappointed in the results for "Rainbow Connection"...it is a beautiful rendition that I had hoped would find a wider audience on the compilation...such is the state of record production and the business as realized by the "professionals".

And yes, I was disappointed in the results for "Rainbow Connection"...it is a beautiful rendition that I had hoped would find a wider audience on the compilation...such is the state of record production and the business as realized by the "professionals".

Why can't people learn to leave perfection alone? It's the same with all this "modern" remastering/mastering that causes decent sounding music to transform into something that sounds compressed and loud with all the dynamics removed making it unlistenable. Only in this case it seems like they even changed all the instruments on you. Too bad flogging wasn't still an acceptable punishment.

Paul Williams should never be allowed to sing, because he just can't. Even Willie sounds better than him. His arrangments are great and the audio is typically AIX,
sublime. Pretty dissappointed with this one overall considering the good rap given here so far. 7

You really should check out the movie Phantom of the Paradise. The Blu ray is in 5.1 and sounds awesome. Paul Williams can write rock and roll. Upholstery is one funny and awesome song. Beautiful Beach Boys parody. Goodbye Eddie Goodbye skewers 50s rock and roll and Sha Na Na perfectly. Somebody Super Like You and Life At Last lampoons Kiss before Kiss existed. Paul is also a credible actor, singer and piano player. This movie flopped when it came out but now is a cult classic. It just doesn't get any better than this.

I'm a pretty unashamed MOR guy... and I grew up on deeply unfashionable but hugely talented 70's artists like Paul Williams (thanks Dad :upthumb ).. I could never understand why A&M didn't exploit his catalogue for their Quad releases, he had a run of albums in the seventies that are absolutely wonderful imho and with production values, arrangements and musicianship that is just crying out for surround sound treatment..

If anyone here is curious and wants to check them out, these are my 3 favourite LPs of his of that period:

"Just An Old Fashioned Love Song", "Life Goes On" and "Here Comes Inspiration"..

Tracks from those albums include such all-time classics covered by many other artists as;

"We've Only Just Begun",
"Just An Old Fashioned Love Song",
"Let Me Be The One",
"I Never Had It So Good",
"Out In The Country",
"I Won't Last A Day Without You",
"You And Me Against The World",
"That's What Friends Are For",
"Rainy Days And Mondays"..

Plus he wrote things like the musical Bugsy Malone, songs from The Muppet Movie ("Rainbow Connection" still gets me 'right there' everytime..), Phantom Of The Paradise and one of the best things Streisand's ever done (no mean feat) in "Evergreen" from "A Star Is Born" (another one that reduces me to a puddle by the end of it.. just gorgeous songwriting imho..).

There's a reason he is the head of ASCAP ( American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers ) the guy can WRITE A TUNE..!!!

There was a recently made TV documentary about a guy who loves Paul Williams' music and seeks him out since he had "dropped off the edge of the world" from the public spotlight and follows him on tour for interviews. Good show....Paul has a pretty hot wife btw. Usual Hollywood story of drugs and drink back there in the 80's...... a regular on the John Carson/Mike Douglas/Merv Griffin shows back in the day.

Back